“This place is one to watch”
Review of Briarcliff Motel

Briarcliff Motel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Great Barrington
St Albans, United Kingdom
“This place is one to watch”
Reviewed 28 May 2011

The convenient location of this motel is so good you can smell the trees as soon as you step out of the car and feel your city cares diminish instantly. I stayed here for a night on a recommendation as an escape from NYC after a busy trip across the States as I’d never visited New England before. Run by ‘cool Brits’ Clare and Richard Proctor, the Briarcliff is undergoing a serious makeover right now.
The mood board on display in the lobby shows just how exciting their eye for design is. Clare is bringing her obvious good taste into full use over the next couple of months to transform this 16-room motel into a cool, relaxed and welcoming boutique retreat or stopover whether you are visiting for golf, nature and antiques, or craft beer, food and tourism.
Clare and Richard have apparently owned a home in the area for more than five years, so know all the great places to check out, whether it’s a car ride to the country or the best places to shop and eat. They are genuinely delighted to share with you their insider knowledge while making sure you have a relaxed stay. This place is certainly one to watch and I will be back to visit just as soon as I can.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Manchaug
Reviewed 19 May 2011

I have stayed at the Briarcliff Inn every year for about 10 years and never had any issues or problems, in fact I thoroughly enjoyed my stays and built a friendship with the owner, Sunny. (the guy reviewing in the accompanying review with the dogs obviously has his own issues, and should be taken with a grain of salt). However this May I stayed for two nights and found the place under new ownership. I wondered what to expect?! I was pleasantly greeted by Claire and Richard Proctor, the new owners who originally are from the UK. We hit it off well right off the bat, and I booked a room for two nights at a very affordable $65/night. They were very accommodating to my schedule and the place was immaculate as usual. Most of the rooms have a refrigerator and microwave, so it made it convenient for me to make breakfast in my room. It's nice to see that it is still in good hands and I will have a place to visit when I come out on my twice a year visit to Great Barrington. In fact when I left for home, they were not around and off on errands, (they just bought the place two weeks earlier and were shopping for supplies) but they called me after the fact while on my way home to see if my stay was satisfactory and if all went well. Now that's good customer service!
I highly recommend the Briarcliff Inn for a good clean affordable stay, with very accommodating owners.
Paul Boutiette

Room Tip: A great feature is connecting rooms if needed.