“It's been a long time coming, but my love for BCM has not waned...”
Review of Briarcliff Motel

Briarcliff Motel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Great Barrington
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I stayed here back in November of 2012 (can't believe it was so long ago), and I instantly fell in love with the place. The owners were the most pleasant and kind folks, and the motel was incredibly charming. We had great weather while we were there and so we were able to take great advantage of the location being just across the street from several hiking trails!

To keep this brief, I have two final things to say:

The complimentary breakfast was fantastic and the scones....Oh. The scones. They were the best and I have had none better since...

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mellowlustre

Reviewed 18 January 2014

After a pleasant first visit last year, we decided to come back to have some ski weekends. So far this year we have been here twice and have 2 more visits planned. Since our first visit, we have noticed many updates to the property and the rooms (new landscaping, fire pit, small refrigerators in the room, etc.). They have also invested in high quality wifi. The owners not only are maintaining the place but also improving it. The staff in addition to the owners are very friendly; always offering a helpful recommendation for restaurants and things to do in the area.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank QtOne75
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Dear TripAdvisor,
A couple of years ago I stayed at the Briarcliff Motel in Great Barrington just as ownership was taken over by Clare & Richard Proctor. I believe I was their third customer which I guess makes me a charter member. I left a nice review with TripAdvisor (which was also my first review ever) as I was very impressed with the nice comfortable down home feeling I had when staying there.

Well, a month ago I have the pleasure of staying there again for three days and the charm of the Briarcliff as well as the Proctor's personal charm hasn't worn off. Clare & Richard are still as nice as pie, and they have done so much with the place. It is still as clean as always and the hospitality is even better, if that is possible. They made some nice improvements to the landscape and even had a nice gas fired fire-bowl burning in the center of the landscape which was such a nice touch of warmth upon our arrival. Our room was spotless and warm in the cold days I stayed.

My busy schedule has kept me from submitting this review until now, and for that I apologize, however from what I see I have lots of company in leaving good reviews. It appears there are lots of satisfied travelers leaving reviews on TripAdvisor who have stayed at the Briarcliff.

I highly recommend the Briarcliff to anyone who needs a nice place to rest on the way through or when visiting Western Mass.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank pboutiette
Reviewed 1 January 2014

The Briarcliff Motel was a totally renovated, warm, welcoming surprise in the midst of great Barrington. European modern decor, most appreciated!
Perfect spot for both skiing and exploring all the little towns.
The owner could not be more gracious, as was Samantha, the "concierge".
They are known for their healthy breakfasts served on long wooden communal tables.
Absolutely no complaints except somewhere in the room to pull off those cold, dripping ski boots and not dirty the carpet!

Room Tip: all seem the same, as the motel is in a field, it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AmyMurrayEp
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I visit Great Barrington several weekends every winter, so my daughter can ski with her cousins at Butternut. We have stayed at the Comfort Inn (perfectly fine) and last year tried the Briarcliff. I was very happy there last year, and am happy to say the experience this year was even better. The Briarcliff is not a luxury hotel, but it is clean, comfortable and unpretentious. My favorite thing is the extremely friendly staff - from the gentleman (Jeffrey?) who checked us in, to the 2 women who worked the breakfast hour - they were all lovely and gave us great local recommendations. I love to patronize a local small business, and the personal touch makes all the difference. The included breakfast makes it a particularly great value as well. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Briarcliff over Veteran's Day weekend; I cannot say enough terrific things about this place. The owners were gracious and kind and the overall vibe of the Briarcliff was homey and hip.

The location is perfect--right in the center (within 10-20 minutes or so) of about four or five towns. We were able to take a very short drive and explore different areas every day of our trip. The view of Monument Mountain across the street is spectacular.

We stayed in room 11, which had a king bed. As soon as I walked in, I was impressed--this is not your average motel. Usually upon entering a hotel--any hotel--I do an immediate bedbug check and won't let my mind rest until I've ruined the bed linens and turned the furniture upside down. Not so with the Briarcliff. I was immediately put at ease by the appearance of this place and the good vibe it gave off. Our room was very spacious and a great deal for the price we paid (low season). It was SUPER clean. I'm pretty anal about that one (couldn't you tell from the bedbug rant above?). Anyway, the room had plenty of space to move around, plenty of plugs for charging devices and more than enough room for personal belongings. Definitely larger than your average motel room. I believe there were two nightstands with storage, a dresser, a place to hang clothes, two comfy chairs, side table, and a desk space with chair. There were shelves and hooks in the bathroom as well. Our room also had a mini-fridge which came in handy for all the yummy leftovers and souvenirs we bought. We slept very comfortably and had plenty of room to relax. The bathroom was sparkling clean and the stand up shower very comfortable.

I love great decorations and stylish surroundings. The owners did a really amazing job decorating this place. Because I wanted to immediately go home and redecorate after leaving the Briarcliff, I did a little label searching--IKEA, West Elm, Martha Stewart. Very contemporary and classy.

The common area/lobby was even cooler than the guest rooms with bright patterned fabrics, neat light fixtures and interesting curiosities on display. Breakfast every morning was delicious--granola, scones, muffins, farm eggs and fresh fruit. Everything was local and homemade and yummy. Our breakfasts in the common area were very much enjoyed! There is a fire pit out front that's lit at dusk and an absolutely wonderful and warm place to sit and gaze at Monument Mountain.

Clare and Richard, the owners, were available every time we went into the office with a question and gave us some awesome tips on the area--where to eat, what to do in the area, etc. Their recommendations were spot on and the map, indispensable.

We can't wait for another getaway to the Berkshires and another stay at The Briarcliff. We've decided to make it a yearly habit :)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JessGos1984
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We only stayed one night at Briarcliff, but the first of many I suspect. From the uber cool reception area to the beautiful clean and comfortable rooms, we loved it. An outdoor fire to sit around in the evening with blankets to keep your knees warm, watching the light changing over Monument Mountain. We explored both Great Barrington and Stockbridge, very pretty towns, with great eating and shopping places. Breakfast was delicious, all homemade, granola (really need that recipe!), scones and muffins, tea, coffee, hot chocolate, orange juice etc. perfect. Set us up to walk the 2 hour hike up Monument Mountain to see views of three states, breathtaking, literally!
Thanks so much for having us, we'll be back!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank FEAsk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Barrington
Fairfield Inn & Suites Great Barrington Lenox/Berkshires
Fairfield Inn & Suites Great Bar...
#2 of 10 in Great Barrington
Hotel on North
Hotel on North
#1 of 8 in Pittsfield
Lantern House Motel Great Barrington
Lantern House Motel Great Barrin...
#3 of 10 in Great Barrington

Been to Briarcliff Motel? Share your experiences!