“An Easy Place to Stay”
Review of Briarcliff Motel

Briarcliff Motel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Great Barrington
Reviewed 20 April 2014

The location is perfect. The owners/hosts cannot be nicer or more helpful. The rooms are clean and fresh. The breakfast is delicious!! We will definitely go back. Cool that they have a dvd collection and a dvd player in each room. Nice for a late night relax after a day of running around.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 March 2014

I've now stayed at the Briarcliff twice (March 2013 and March 2014) while on ski trips to Butternut. This place has character and soul. From sayings on the room key tags to the information sheets in the rooms, the owners have let their funny and slightly irreverent personalities shine through. You definitely know you're in a boutique property and not a lifeless chain. But it's still a motel. If you're looking for an indoor pool or a quaint country inn, this isn't that, but in my book, it's better. Plus the off-season rate is very affordable ($90 on weekdays, $125 on weekends).

The owners have done a great job renovating the property. The rooms are bright and uncluttered and super-clean, some with funky furniture. There's not much room for storing clothes, so if you're here for more than a weekend, be prepared to keep some clothes in a suitcase.

The breakfast/lounge area is country chic and very appealing. The breakfasts are simply delicious, though nothing fancy. Clare's home baked goods (banana bread and cranberry scones this visit), hard-boiled eggs, Richard's homemade granola, organic yogurt, good coffee, assorted teas, juice, and fruit leave you ready for a day of exploring.

The staff is incredibly friendly. We brought pizza back at night and enjoyed it (and some wine) in the lounge, and the manager entertained our kids, got us plates, and was just generally helpful and pleasant.

Monument Mountain is across the street, which makes for lovely views and excellent hiking. The Briarcliff is a short drive (less than 5 minutes) from downtown Great Barrington, where you can find lots of restaurants, stores, etc.

The only things I would like to see changed are 2 queens (instead of fulls) in the rooms that can accommodate families (the beds were comfortable, but not so much when my kid's knee was digging into my back), and a full shower door in the walk-in showers (how does the floor not get soaking wet with the half door? - maybe it's just me?).

The Briarcliff is a place that leaves you feeling good. I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank EllieG-NY
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We often find ourselves in the Berkshires over the summer and over the February break. We've stayed at really nice places like the Red Lion Inn and more budget- minded places too. This is our first time at the Briarcliff Motel, but I don't think it will be our last time.

We stayed in Room 8, right near the lobby. My daughter didn't like that there was no clock in the room, but she didn't tell us that until after we'd left. That's our only 'complaint.' We'll bring a travel clock next time.

The bed was luxurious, the chairs in the room were very comfy and neat looking, the room was spacious well decorated and my daughter loved the design on the comforter on her rollaway.

The breakfast is everything everybody else is saying: great scones, wonderful pumpkin bread, my husband said the granola was special, too. And very, very good coffee.

The owners and staff couldn't have been nicer: suggesting restaurants, asking about the play we saw: "Private Lives" at Shakespeare & Co, it was great!, making sure breakfast was good, wifi issues, which turned out to be operator- related.

It was a real treat to stay here.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anyanwubutler
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I stayed here back in November of 2012 (can't believe it was so long ago), and I instantly fell in love with the place. The owners were the most pleasant and kind folks, and the motel was incredibly charming. We had great weather while we were there and so we were able to take great advantage of the location being just across the street from several hiking trails!

To keep this brief, I have two final things to say:

The complimentary breakfast was fantastic and the scones....Oh. The scones. They were the best and I have had none better since...

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mellowlustre
Reviewed 18 January 2014

After a pleasant first visit last year, we decided to come back to have some ski weekends. So far this year we have been here twice and have 2 more visits planned. Since our first visit, we have noticed many updates to the property and the rooms (new landscaping, fire pit, small refrigerators in the room, etc.). They have also invested in high quality wifi. The owners not only are maintaining the place but also improving it. The staff in addition to the owners are very friendly; always offering a helpful recommendation for restaurants and things to do in the area.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank QtOne75
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Dear TripAdvisor,
A couple of years ago I stayed at the Briarcliff Motel in Great Barrington just as ownership was taken over by Clare & Richard Proctor. I believe I was their third customer which I guess makes me a charter member. I left a nice review with TripAdvisor (which was also my first review ever) as I was very impressed with the nice comfortable down home feeling I had when staying there.

Well, a month ago I have the pleasure of staying there again for three days and the charm of the Briarcliff as well as the Proctor's personal charm hasn't worn off. Clare & Richard are still as nice as pie, and they have done so much with the place. It is still as clean as always and the hospitality is even better, if that is possible. They made some nice improvements to the landscape and even had a nice gas fired fire-bowl burning in the center of the landscape which was such a nice touch of warmth upon our arrival. Our room was spotless and warm in the cold days I stayed.

My busy schedule has kept me from submitting this review until now, and for that I apologize, however from what I see I have lots of company in leaving good reviews. It appears there are lots of satisfied travelers leaving reviews on TripAdvisor who have stayed at the Briarcliff.

I highly recommend the Briarcliff to anyone who needs a nice place to rest on the way through or when visiting Western Mass.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank pboutiette
Reviewed 1 January 2014

The Briarcliff Motel was a totally renovated, warm, welcoming surprise in the midst of great Barrington. European modern decor, most appreciated!
Perfect spot for both skiing and exploring all the little towns.
The owner could not be more gracious, as was Samantha, the "concierge".
They are known for their healthy breakfasts served on long wooden communal tables.
Absolutely no complaints except somewhere in the room to pull off those cold, dripping ski boots and not dirty the carpet!

Room Tip: all seem the same, as the motel is in a field, it was very quiet.