“My lunch was an experiment.”
Review of The Meat Market

The Meat Market
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 14 June 2013

My wife and I were put off by our lunch orders. My spare rib order took 20 minutes (no other customers). There were only 3 ribs, dry and skimpy. I was probably too hungry to send them back. My wife was smarter- she returned her Reuben which literally had more fat than meat. The replacement was fine. Our server said that they were breaking in a new cook. Hope this helps their training program.

1  Thank lewseph

Reviewed 8 April 2013

in my recent return trip I ordered the grass fed burger. This is one of the best burgers I have ever had and I enjoy a hamburger regularly. All ingredients are fresh and cooked to order. I also recommend checking the daily specials as they are always fresh, seasonal and good. I will visit this restaurant each time I return to the area.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

To be fair I have to confess I am the owner's father, so you can factor that in as you read this review. I want to clarify and stress why the three commitments in the title are important. Local means the owner knows the farmers he buys from. So important in today's world of CAFOs. Grass fed means that the animals are raised on their natural diet, out in the field whenever possible. And Fresh means a lot more than "never frozen", though that's also true. Fresh includes dry aged - the meat is held (refrigerated) until it has relaxed and cured to its optimal condition. Most of the meat is raised organically or as close as possible because the farmers care about their animals and the quality of their meat. Pasture raised is fast becoming a better indicator of quality than organic.
All these commitments combine to make delicious, healthy food. Enjoy!

1  Thank nickstan1651
Reviewed 26 January 2013

I have visited this place 5 times now and every time I am pleasantly surprised. I had the carrot soup with fresh bacon chunks and the chicken stew. Both were delicious. I highly recommend a visit here when in the area.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Love the lamb merguez and the chorizo. We don't live in the area but travel up to Great Barrington several times a year. Stumbled upon this very unique butcher shop a year ago and it is now a must-stop whenever we are in the area. Echo one of the other reviewers - it is hyper hip and clean. The hot dogs, when they have them in stock, are so good, I'm spoiled now. No other hot dog tastes as good. We actually discovered The Meat Market because of the hot dogs. We ordered one at Fuel, a coffee/sandwich shop in town and these hot dogs were on the menu. The signage said it was locally made and we asked where. I love their story too. It's creative, born from the heart, with a real dedication and commitment to quality. Don't gripe about the prices. This is not a supermarket butcher case. Considering what goes into this business, the skill, knowledge and quality of product, I think the prices are fair. We don't have deep pockets but there's always something we can find in our budget. They have rabbit too, and a smoker looks to be a new addition.