“A gem!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Prairie Whale

Prairie Whale
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Brooklyn food pioneer Mark Firth has brought to the Berkshires the same rustic and delicious food he served at his previous restaurants, Marlow & Sons and Diner. Our menu changes daily as we use only the freshest produce, and source locally as much as we can.
Westchester, NY
“A gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Brought my family here for brunch on a Saturday morning.

Delicious food and great service!! Would definitely recommend!

Boston, Massachusetts
“Up's and Down's, yet decent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

While through the Berkshire's, we stopped upon the Prairie Whale in which there were most certainly up's and down's to the experience. I graded it "very good" simply because "average" didn't seem to suffice. The restaurant is in a converted farmhouse right on Main Street in Great Barrington. It's a very cool place, with a slew of separate dining areas. The bar is very nice, rustic, and different in a way. The beer list is diverse and they do have a cask ale on a hand pump. Lots of wood in the decor, and again, a rustic feel. The wait staff was attentive, yet a little slow on occasion. It seemed that one would take our drink orders, another for the food orders, a food runner to "auction" food when it arrived and very little in up selling or seeing if the table required a second drink order. The food is a little higher priced for the portions that one receives. The dishes are nicely conceived, but again the portions are a little lacking.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank John B
rochester
“Worst meal in the berkshires in a year”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Stopped in on sat afternoon as we had been meaning to try them out. I had a burger, med well and my husband a beet an blue cheese salad. The server never asked if we wanted a beverage so we stuck with the water on the table. When the food came, my burger was so raw and so bloody the bottom bun was saturated with it. The beet salad had good chunks of beet but little blue. The portion was small for a 10.00 salad. The server never checked back after dropping off the food so we finally waved her down about the burger. She took it back and brought back one that was well done-brown to the middle. The burger was tastless...no seasonings in the meat. It might as well have been cardboard. Their homemade mayo tasted sour as if it had turned. We feasted on the fries which were hot and salty. We gave the server a heads up on the mayo, and she just repeated that it was home made. Soon after leaving and paying 25.oo for one bad and one poor lunch, I had stomach cramps and nausa I suspect from the bad mayo.

Visited April 2014
6 Thank upstate2
Sheffield, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Expected more..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Went there as an anniversary dinner date, had heard good things about the restaurant. I chose a simple burger because to be quite honest I did not find much else on the menu enticing. I asked the waitress for the burger to be made just so that there is no pink, but not burnt. Not only did the food take about a half and a hour to get to us, when I took a bite into my burger, it was barely cooked! I ended up only eating the fries on my plate. But this was just my experience, my partner liked his dish. The waitress was attentive and kind, and besides the bad burger it was a good atmosphere and a good experience.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
“Will try it again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

I first read about the Prairie Whale in the Smithsonian magazine when Food Critic Ruth Reichl dined here (It was formally called the Bell & Anchor) The ingredients are all fresh from mostly local farms so we had to give it a try. We like the understated decor - cute picket fence surrounds the house, a weathered ping-pong table in the front, tables that have unfinished wood tops, and mix-matched chairs (make sure you get a sturdy one!). We were seated by a very nice waitress in the back room with what looked like an original (weathered) marble floor. The cocktail list is very creative with names like Unfair Advantage with apple jack, ginger syrup, coffee bitters & egg white or the Harvey Whalebanger and the Danhattan with Bourbon, Dolin sweet vermouth and Luxardo cherry. The menu is quite limited and it has many creative combinations. My husband played it safe and ordered a cheeseburger and fries, but with this safe bet his burger was not cooked as asked and it was sent back to try again. The fries were yummy and we could have eaten them all night. I ordered a braised chicken that had pasta, kale, and mushrooms. I was surprised to be served a leg of chicken with not much meat, however the flavor was very good and I loved the combination of the few pieces of pasta with the kale and mushrooms. I have a smaller appetite after just getting over a cold, so regularly I would have still been hungry after eating this dish. I also ordered a side salad which was just plain mixed greens with a balsamic/lemon dressing. The salad really could have used some crispy somethings, onions, carrots or just something else to give it a bit more flavor. I did end up ordering the baked apple dessert with vanilla ice cream and candied ginger which was a good ending to the meal. My husband felt the service was a bit slow, but I didn't mind since it was our date night and we got a chance to talk! I will definitely try it again. They don't take reservations unless you have a party of 6 or more. We didn't have any wait, but as the summer residents start coming back in May and June, it is sure to become really busy.

• Visited April 2014