“Reliable but nothing special”
Review of Martin's Restaurant - CLOSED

Martin's Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Martin's is one of those places that people gravitate to because it's local and it's a Berkshires institution. But the packaged jellies and syrup make you think more of Denny's than a down-home café. The daily specials reflect the season but there is little else to indicate that Martin's is a local eatery. Breakfast, which is served all day, is the big draw at Martin's but their home fries leave much to be desired and the omelets are mediocre at best. There is a salsa omelet on the menu which used to have a nice blend of jack cheese and salsa. Lately, it seems like all it has is a dab of watery salsa. Recent leek and potato soup had a single chunk of potato in a broth base with what seemed like a tablespoon of half and half. The tables are too close together, the noise level is too high and the food is nothing great. We have always had pleasant and reliable service.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

After seeing a ton of positive reviews, I made a point of having breakfast here and was disappointed. I had french toast, and it was fine, but that's all it was. Nothing special, no choice of breads, not even real maple syrup. It was cheap, which is always appreciated, but I definitely wouldn't go out of my way to find this place.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Well, this seemed like an interesting place to have lunch on a beautiful sunny and warm summer day. In addition, the menu on the board looked inviting. Unfortunately, the food served us did not live up to the listings on the board. To begin, my friend had a bowl of Mac and Cheese as an appetizer. When asked how it was made, the waiter responded with, "Well, she starts with Velveeta for color and then adds other things." That should have been a dead giveaway, but he really wanted Mac and Cheese, so he ordered it. What arrived was a concoction of warm milk and elbow macaroni. If there was any cheese, even Velveeta, in this dish, it must have disappeared between the kitchen and our table because it was as white as the driven snow when plunked down in front of my friend. Needless to say, it was awful, and it was sent back. I ordered the Berkshire Breeze, which was purported to be a sandwich of avocado, sprouts, cucumber, and a balsamic vinaigrette. There were plenty of sprouts and cucumber, but the avocado consisted of a smear that was so small that I could hardly taste it, and the balsamic vinaigrette apparently evaporated, once again somewhere between our table and the kitchen. My friend had an omelette, the name of which escapes me at the moment, which he described as consisting of three scrambled eggs with some veggies thrown into it. It looked to me and tasted to him like a piece of dry, yellow cardboard. I had a glass of iced tea, which, since it was a warm day, I drank rather quickly, but the waiter never returned to ask if I would like a refill. And the place was not full; he simply wasn't interested in providing real service. My friend and I are also not interested in returning to this less than mediocre "restaurant." I wish we had read the previous reviews before deciding on this place, since I'm sure there are far better choices for lunch in the area. We will definitely read reviews of restaurants in tripadvisor before our next visit to the Berkshires.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Although the food is simple, plentiful and generally good, the tight space and packed in sardine feeling, makes this a poor dining experience. The table placement, especially around the entrance, results in waiting patrons hovering and standing beside your table, providing an unacceptable invasion of your dining space. No one wants to eat their food staring into someone's belly or back-side. Horrible experience.

Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Day two of our quest to eat breakfast out during our week in the Berkshires. We sound this little place in Great Barrington tucked away in a corner. They had a good variety of items and breakfast was served all day. The food was good and served hot and quick. Might come back and try lunch--on another visit though.