“Probably Best in Great Barrington”
Review of Castle Street Cafe

Castle Street Cafe
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We were pleased with the the food and service. While not big on ambiance, the menu is varied and the food very tasty and well prepared. The ingediants were freash and many locally obtained. The service was friendly and attentive without being overbearing. This was definetaley the best dining of teh several establishments we sampled.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

As a vacation home owner in the Berkshires we are familiar with many of the area restaurants: most are OK; few, however, stand out. Castle Street, located in downtown Great Barrington has a fairly extensive, inventive menu with plenty to chose from weather one is a carnivore, pescivore or vegetarian. Out party of four sampled many dishes and all were very good. The spicy crab cake was excellent (but don't take the word "spicy" literally. Very, very few restaurants in the Berkshires know the meaning of "spicy.") The monk fish was fresh and flavorful with a delicious sauce (a tad too strong for such a delicate fish.) The calve's liver was expertly prepared though I'd have preferred to know in advance that it would be covered in a sauce. The cornish hen was tasty and almost too abundant. The pasta/shrimp dish was very good. In the appetizer arena the figs with blue cheese were outstanding; the wild mushroom soup was just OK. The gelato dessert was to die for. Top notch and we have sampled plenty of gelato in Italy.
If you want to hear music (it was supposed to be jazz but was much more a rock and roll sound) you should not sit in the main (back) dining room.
Enjoy!!

1  Thank SRVP
Reviewed 27 April 2014

$25 3 course dinner -large selection of appetizers, entrees, desserts + coffee/tea.
Jan. - May 1. Well worth it.
Attentive service. Salmon on a quinoa, mango, mint salad, & sea scallops with asparagus flan- All items nicely prepared. If not the special dinner, recommend regular menu
at other times.

1  Thank BruceMa135
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Our first visit to Castle Street Cafe proved to be an excellent choice. We went for Easter dinner, and the menu options were impressive. Everyone in our party was pleased. From appetizers to deserts, everything was delicious, and beautifully presented. Definitely worth another visit soon.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

This is more like a belated follow up to my last review more than a year ago. I wrote my last review after my wife and I visited the restaurant with intention to take advantage of the Winter Special offer last winter to try the restaurant out (after 10 years absence). That visit was not successful because we went on a holiday weekend not knowing the Winter Special is not offered on holiday weekend because the advertisement for the special in local paper and on the restaurant site both omit that exclusion. After the review came out, the owner and chef responded by taking full responsibility and apologize for the mistake, even generously offer a gift certificate to encourage us to give the restaurant another try. The omission of the exclusion of the holiday weekend in the advertisement and on the restaurant web site was also corrected.
We were pleasantly surprised by the owner/chef’s honest and responsible response and decided we would give another try when we had the opportunity. The next opportunity came in March 2013 when we attending a wonderful concert at the Mahaiwe Theater next door to the restaurant on a Sunday evening in late March.
We were wonderfully surprised at the service even before we even got there this time. When I called to check the hours for that day and inquired about if there is enough time to catch the show on time. I was informed that they would take the reservation for us to ensure we can get prompt service even though it was just for my wife and I and the restaurant usually don’t accept the reservation for less than four people.
When we got there, we were seated very promptly. There were quite a few people there, almost full house, all seemed to be going to the show next door too. The service was very friendly and yet very efficient. All the people seemed to be attended quite efficiently and orders were taken very promptly. In the end, all the people there seemed to be able to complete their dinner plenty time before the show.
The Winter Special that we were trying to get on our unsuccessful previous visit was still available that day, so my wife and I decided to try that this time. I thoroughly enjoy my food. I had eggplant sampler for appetizer and Duck Confit with crispy potato for main course. The eggplant sampler was delightful and quite a change from usual eggplant dish elsewhere in Berkshire. The Duck Confit was great. It was even better than I had last time in a French restaurant in the Old Town Montreal quite some year ago. The potato came with it was cooked just right, again quite a change from the usual potato served in the Berkshire restaurants. The desert was equally satisfying as well.
This is a complete different experience from last time. The enjoyable dinner and the great show afterward at Mahaiwe made a wonderful evening for us.
While I have every intention to write up our second experience, the travel and work somehow made it impossible to do so till now.
In meantime, the Castle Street offered something similar, Mid-week Special, again this year. I had opportunities to visit the restaurants and take the advantage of the special several times, both with my wife and myself along. We enjoyed meals every time we went. Even though my last year’s favorite appetizer, Eggplant Sampler, is not available on this special, there are still quite a few choices. In addition to my last favorite entrée, Duck Confit, I also tried braised short ribs with mashed potato and sautéed shrimps with roasted tomato and garlic sauce on angel hair pasta. Both of them, while seemingly simple, are delicious and enjoyable. I would happily have any of them again if I get a chance. As for the desert, I would highly recommend either the Crème Brulee or the chocolate mousse cake.
This year’s Mid-week special would expire on April 30th. I would recommend you take a full advantage of the special before it runs out. I know I am going to make another visit if I can.

1  Thank local_diner_T