“Disappointing stay”

Stonegate Mansion
New York
“Disappointing stay”
Reviewed 13 July 2013

My husband and I stayed at this property in the mid 80s and it was lovely. Sadly, returning with my sister in 2013 on and RCI exchange we were very disappointed.

The property has not been properly maintained. The deck entrance to our one bedroom unit was badly in need of paint and the storm door didn't close. Though the furnishings were appropriate, there were stains on upholstery and curtains were faded.

Books used as decoration were covered with mold. The bedding and mattress were very musty. Framed print were covered with mold. The bathroom had mold on the ceiling and the caulking around the tub was moldy.

The unit is cooled by a single very old air conditioner in the bedroom. It was necessary to run it during the hot weather but it smelled moldy as well.

The kitchen was adequate and clean but dishes and silverware were in short supply......only three cups and two teaspoons for example in a unit that is designed for 4.

The manager is not in residence and was not reachable at the emergency number. When she finally returned calls she was defensive and argumentative. She refused to acknowledge the mold and would not provide replacement pillows or bedding. She adamantly refused to change units though only three of 8 or 9 units were occupied for the entire week.

As a former innkeeper of a Victorian inn and lover of historic buildings it was sad to see how this once lovely property had declined.

Room Tip: Only 8 or 9 units and they vary widely in layout. Manager is adamant about not changing units.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank jaybirdNewYork

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
North Billerica, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I love staying in boutique properties; and didn't set my expectations for luxury after reading the reviews here and through RCI which this property is also affiliated with as a timeshare exchange. I did expect a clean room in an older property, no expectations for property amenities or high-end furnishing. Even with simple expectations I have never been more disappointed with a property and it's management as I was with our Stonegate visit. After several correspondence with Emma the Manager to ascertain what to bring I expected a smooth visit. As promised the key was left for our late arrival with a note to call within 24 hours with any issues. Although we were advised of the availability of wireless access through emails; we could not connect so we left a message almost immediately requesting a call back; which we never received. We waited until the Office opened days later (Monday; we checked in on Friday night). Beside the smaller dead bugs on floors; the dead fly on the kitchen floor and dead bee on the bath floor were a particularly disgusting "greeting" as well as the dirty shower walls and bathroom floor. We were also left with dirty socks and underwear from a previous guests in a dresser drawer, a dirty coffee maker and no trash bags for the mesh-wire kitchen basket; I considered the unit filthy (the floors were so dusty I wore socks the entire visit). Oh! I almost forgot; the DVD player had no wires connecting it to the television so it was unusable..and since you received the remote on check-in we had no remote during our visit. By the time Monday morning arrived I actually had a LIST of items to discuss with EMMA the "manager apparent", but before we could get out the door and down to her office that morning the ceiling in the livingroom began to drip rain onto the floor; that trumped any other issues including the dirt and no internet access. It was apparent Emma did not believe there was a leak; she claimed there had never been one in that unit although the ceiling stain told a different story. After several unpleasant conversations we were given a choice of two units to move into. The second unit was an improvement and actually got internet access depending on where you sat in the unit. There were dead bugs in the kitchen drawers and we still had no TV remote but the bathroom seemed cleaner and the unit was more a more spacious two bedroom. Everything about the units is cut-rate; not even a cheap box of tissues in the bathroom; so expect to use toilet paper to blow your nose, wipe off makeup, etc. Assessing the unit; although at one time the units were likely very desirable and lovely, 30+ years later nothing seems to have been upgraded or replaced; everything is tired and worn: furniture, old television, old pillows. There are only basic kitchen appliances (no blender, hand mixer, toaster oven, etc.) and barely enough dinnerware; as a matter of fact; we had to run the dishwasher daily to have enough dishes and cookware for the two of us. The furniture is worn and old as are the televisions. It's very apparent not a dime of money has been reinvested back into the property for years and years. I feel certain the Fire Department would close the property if they saw the condition of the old wooden stairs used for exterior emergency exits. There is no laundry facilities and the only property amenity; a rusty swingset, with no swings is an embarassment and should not even be mentioned. On the positive, good location; close to town. We saw three different units and each had it's own individual layout and furnishing and had charm at some point in time. I'm not a negative Nancy (as my other reviews w/prove), I really, really wanted to love Stonegate; it HAD so much potential, but the property hasn't been maintained in so long that perhaps the amount of money needed to bring it up to reasonable standards will likely never be appropriated. My suggestion is to go somewhere else or at minimum inspect your unit before you pay and put your bags down. We were so disapppointed we would never give a moments thought to staying here again (sadly).

Room Tip: Although you will be told YES we have internet access, you need to ask specifically if the unit you...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MiaVal

Travellers are raving about these Great Barrington hotels

Safety Harbor, Florida
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We recently stayed for a week at the Stonegate Mansion property through our RCI property exchange. Our first floor unit had a large living room, separate eat in kitchen and 1 bedroom and bathroom. It is an historic property and we loved the intricate design of the hardwood floors, the window seats and all the wood trim. We had access to the large front porch with rocking chairs and tables. We had a chance to see a second floor unit which had 2 bedrooms and 2 baths which would be great for a family. The location in the remote Berkshire region means you really need a car, but the town of Great Barrington had some good restaurants and shops as well as outdoor natural attractions.
In cold weather heating might be a concern, but in the early summer the wall heat took care of the early morning chill.

Room Tip: The front first floor unit had beautiful window seats in both the living and bedroom. Even the first...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Walt-DebbieB
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 23 June 2011

When we walked into our unit 1102 at Stonegate, I felt as though I should be wearing a Victorian dress and doing my needlepoint. The historic nature of the building is perfectly delightful especially if you're a traveler who enjoys a place with character and not a sterile motel.
Though the building is very old, the important rooms like bath and kitchen are modern and spotless. The wrap around porch on the first floor is likely where you'll spend most of your time anyway, listening to the birds and reveling in the lack of city noises. We slept uninterrupted for 9 to 10 hours a night!
Location is fabulous and you can walk or bike to the downtown area where a plethora of restaurants and shops await. If you need to do work while here you may find the lack of a strong Internet connection a bit off putting. We had the entire place to ourselves and could sit outside where the signal was strong and blog to our heart's content.
All in all a lovely week.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SallyBissell
Quispamsis
Reviewed 19 June 2011

I wanted a mid-June holiday in the Berkshires and chose the Stonegate Mansion with some reservations. Many comments made from previous guests were very negative. We were very pleased to discover that these accomodations were excellent. First of all, we were not able to get there until Friday night about 10:45pm, but our contact person graciously offered to leave the key in an envelope for us on the office door. We stayed in 1101, and it was VERY spacious: two bedrooms with two full baths. The dining area/living room were very quaint and comfortable, and the kitchen complete with stove, fridge, garbage disposal, microwave, and dishwasher. Stonegate is located one street behind the main roadway, so it is quiet but very close to restaurants and local amenities. The beautiful building fits in with the wonderful surroundings and lush lawns, and for our taste, was a very pleasant change from modern/condo style resorts.

If you want a comfortable night's sleep in a large unit that is clean, well decorated, and has a lot of character, then this is the place for you. It is ideally suited for adults, who may want to visit the local townships and come back for a quiet evening sitting on the veranda with a cocktail or glass of wine, or going out to a local eatery. The shops in Great Barrington are diverse and charming, and if you prefer the outlets, there is a Premium Outlet only fifteen/twenty minutes away.

I love to try new destinations but would certainly be tempted to come back. The Fall must be spectacular as roadways are surrounded by an abundance of tall over-hanging trees.

Final point: bring your own hairblower as I did not find one there, and if you plan to do a lot of cooking, you may want to bring one or two of your favorite skillets. They have pots/pans, but limited supply.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Quispamsis058
Santa Clara, California
Reviewed 29 October 2010

My mother and I just completed a trip to the Berkshires. We had not been here before, and were a bit concerned due to other reviews. Staying at this hotel is sort of like a charming, old Motel Six with character. Very basic on amenities, but the lodging itself was comfortable and large. We had a two bedroom unit with a large living room, large windows, and modern kitchen and bathroom. Not fancy, but quite a nice place to stay. Excellent location. Would definitely come back. Bring your own kleenex, and if you like luxury, this is not for you. Towels are thin, no potholders in kitchen, hot water is fleeting.

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank Leslietravellover
Boston MA
Reviewed 9 July 2010

I feel compelled to write this review because a number of very negative reviews have been posted. I understand and agree with some of the problems reported but I also think many may find this unique property quite appealing and would hate to have them miss out on what I considered a charming RCI property. Let me start by saying that my standards for an RCI exchange are pretty basic. My primary requirement is the location. After that if it’s clean, everything is in working order, I can cook a simple breakfast, AC/heat is comfortable and the bedding is as advertised, I’m happy. Stonegate Inn fulfilled all of these requirements.
The location is excellent. It’s in a Victorian era residential neighborhood that is a short walk to the town of Great Barrington. There you can stroll to many shops and restaurants, a movie theater and performing arts venue. We were able bicycle directly from the inn to miles of beautiful, quiet, bicycle friendly roads. It’s a half hour drive to Tanglewood or Jacob’s Pillow. We were there during the Berkshire Art’s Festival, a craft fair a short drive from the inn.
Unlike most RCI properties, the “resort” is very small and each of the 8 units is unique. As with some previous posters, our room was switched but in our case, I think we ended up with a better unit. We are an active, retired couple. On two of the 7 nights another couple joined us. As it turns out unit 1201 (2nd floor, 2br 1bath) was perfect for our needs. The unit was large, sunny and attractive with lots of Victorian details including two (non working) fireplaces, large circular window bays, beautiful original wood floors and a small private porch. We happened to be there during one of the hottest weeks of the year and the AC window units kept the rooms comfortably cool. The linins and bedding were not high end but comfortable. Maybe we just had quit neighbors, but I never heard any noise from other units. The furniture is a bit shabby and stained. The stairway and hall leading to the unit was narrow, musty and the carpet dirty and worn. Not a good first impression. Some of the first floor units have their own entry.
While everything worked; a lot of small repairs needed to be done. The entry door exemplified the attitude towards repairs; rather than fixing the closure device, they posted a sign saying to hold the door so it wouldn’t slam shut. The AC leaked so we put down towels, the refrigerator leaked so we had a pan under the drip. Nothing intolerable but something that might bother some folks.
The resort itself has virtually no amenities. An old-fashioned playground and some grills, no pool, no hot tub, no laundry area. For me, the lovely tree shaded lawn that featured a nice display of fireflies and the proximity of the inn to the town center more than compensated.
Unlike earlier posters, I found the management, Emma, to be pleasant and helpful. Overall it felt a little like you were staying in your aunt’s apartment or a B&B, not an RCI exchange.
I would recommend this resort to anyone who likes quirky little inns and has a tolerance for minor flaws. Don’t go if you expect a top quality, modern resort with lots of amenities and activities on site.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple