“Avoid at all costs”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Great Barrington
yardley, pa
“Avoid at all costs”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My husband stayed here after I read reviews and the place was described as "recently remodeled and clean". He sent me pictures of a dark, drab room. We stayed at other hotels in the area for the same price ($150) which were modernly decorated with courteous owners. The owner called me to tell me that my husband had not checked out of the room and check out was 10am. He said he already rented that room and needed his things out to clean it. I assured him I would call my husband who was taking my son to mass and that he would be back soon to clean it out. He asked if he wanted to stay another night, and I said "I'm not sure" and I would check with him. When my husband got back to the room around 11:30 the owner followed him to the room and said he had to pay him $50 because he "stayed late". He said he was not staying another night. He told my husband he had to come to the office to pay the extra $50. He refused because the office smelled of incense and would not go to the office, so waited by his car to sign for the bogus overcharge. We have stayed at top hotels all over the world and have NEVER been charged for staying past checkout. Do Not stay at the Lantern, it is not at all as described on tripadvisor.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank cinpfen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 3 August 2014

The Berkshires has many different accommodation options and Motels fill a very important need. For this trip we decided at the last minute to extend our stay by one night and we decided to use this opportunity to spend the day in a different location. We looked for a place which was centrally located, was excellent value for money, and did not require a multi-day commitment. For simple, value accommodation this is an excellent choice

We chose the Lantern House motel based on reviews and we were very satisfied.

I can't vouch for availability at other times, but in late July they had a room or two availability with one days notice.

Even though the motel fronts the highway, the rooms are well set back and we did not hear any traffic noise at all.

What we liked:
- Check in was quick and easy
- Room location was nice. The owner tries to spread guests out.
- Kid and Family friendly. We did not try the pool, but it defiantly is kid friendly with a pool, a play set, and lots of open grass for running around, playing soccer, Frisbee or tag.
- The coffee. If your looking for a good cup of Joe then stay here
- The donut shop next door. Yes, they have all the tasty treats and breakfast sandwiches etc you could crave

What we did not like
- Our room had a "squeeky" floor in one specific location. We simply moved the table to cover it and it stopped bother us as we no longer walked past it.
- The in-room fridge was loud. We simply unplugged it
- The WiFi in our room was spotty (but we were the furthest room from the hotspot.) If connectivity is important, then request a room closer to the router!

Room Tip: This is s single level motel. If connectivity is important let the owner know so you can get a room...
1 Thank Miklos G
EASTPORT
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We drove up to Great Barrington from Long Island, just to get away for a couple of days. We needed to find a motel room and pulled into the Lantern House Motel because the Vacancy sign was lit, it was centrally located, and very charming looking. Mr. Patel, the owner, personally showed us three different rooms - each slightly different from each other with different configurations of amenities and different prices - and then asked us which room we would prefer. That, in itself, was a unique experience. The room we picked had a comfortable king-size bed and beautiful honey-colored pine tongue and groove paneling. It had kind of a retro feel but everything was newly renovated and sparklingly clean. Mr. Patel is extremely friendly, very kind, and takes such good care of his property and patrons. We were very comfortable at his motel and the price was very reasonable. There is a gourmet market across the street and a handmade chocolate shop within walking distance. Also, there is a wonderful donut shop with delicious breakfast sandwiches and smoothies directly next store - although the motel provides a very nice continental breakfast with the cost of the room. We would absolutely stay at the Lantern House Motel the next time we are in the Great Barrington area and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a clean, comfortable, reasonably priced motel.

1 Thank LINDA P
new york
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I was here for one night with my wife for visiting day at a near by camp. we were told about the Motel by other friends who have stayed her before. The motel is newly renovated and was clean. We stayed in room 11 with a king bed. It was a large room and even had a mini fridge that worked. The bathroom was adequate and clean too. They have a pool in the back and some lounge chairs.
The best part of the stay were the owners. They take pride in their Motel and it shows. Very friendly and answered any questions. We will be staying there next yea for visiting day but more than one night this time.

1 Thank docin8
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My classmate and I get together for an annual reunion in the Berkshires, and for the past two years, we have thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Lantern House Motel. Our rooms are each clean and comfortable, and Hasu, the owner, is most accommodating. We noticed that he did some updating since our previous visit, and we hope it continues. The only drawback each of us noticed was the lack of good soundproofing between our rooms.

Room Tip: Call in advance.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We recently stayed at the Lantern House Motel for 5 days. While the facilities and service were standard and acceptable for this $200/night motel, the service was off. The facilities were run by a husband/wife team. While the husband was friendly and helpful, the wife was awful - mean, rude, and very disrespectful to my son, and my mother, and me on several occasions. This began from the moment I checked in, and proceeded to get worse. She even yelled at us and made an unnecessary scene with my son and me when walking back from the pool. To make matters worse, my son and I were playing catch with a soft ball in the large field, near an unused playground setup, at a safe distance from the rooms, and she yelled again, and directed us tp play way back near the woods, in a wet, uneven, buggy area just to be mean. Truly, she had no good reason to treat us like this and I think she is mentally deranged.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Eric B
Sharon, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I was skeptical when Hasu gave me a price of $65 for a room with 2 queen beds for a Thursday night. I had previously called the nearby Holiday Inn Express and Comfort Inn and their lowest price for the same accommodations was $170. The property is clean well maintained and the room was up to date beyond my expectations.

Hasu was extremely accommodating and very concerned that I was satisfied in all respects with my stay there. I would not hesitate at all to stay there again if my travels take me back to the area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Robert_Pais
Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Barrington
Days Inn Great Barrington
Days Inn Great Barrington
#3 of 10 in Great Barrington
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Great Barrington/Berkshires
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Gre...
#2 of 10 in Great Barrington
Holiday Inn Express Great Barrington
Holiday Inn Express Great Barrin...
#7 of 10 in Great Barrington
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
The Red Lion Inn
The Red Lion Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockbridge
Briarcliff Motel
Briarcliff Motel
#1 of 10 in Great Barrington

Been to Lantern House Motel Great Barrington? Share your experiences!