“A Nice Stay at the Days Inn”

Days Inn Great Barrington
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Great Barrington
Reviewed 1 January 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Days Inn for 2 nights, December 28-29, 2007. It was my birthday weekend and I had wanted to go on a nice ski trip weekend. Of course, I had wanted to stay at a nice place. Some other placed that I looked at was asking for $100+ more per night compared to the Days Inn. I was very hesitant about staying here after reading the bad and scary reviews. However, a friend of mine has stayed here a couple of times before, and vouches for the place. Surprisingly, Days Inn turned out to be a pretty decent place to stay. We had a King size non-smoking room on the second floor, located at the front of the building. The king size bed was very comfortable and big, plus it had 5 fluffy pillows!! We had a couch and a work/dining table on the side.

One bad note is that the rooms are built on wooden planks. So when people are walking by your room, you can hear every step. I would suggest asking for a room on the ground floor, located at the front. Shower was good, had plenty of hot water.

The continental breakfast was good, they offer coffee, juice, cereal, oatmeal, hot cocoa, donuts, toast and bagels.

The hotel also provides discount coupons for ski lifts. So all in all, we had a enjoyable stay at this nice hotel. I would definitely stay here again, the next time I'm around the area.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed 20 July 2007

Our room smelled. Our comforter was dirty. We had roaches. There were trains rattling by late at night. All for almost $200. Location is good but this place is generally a dump.

Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed 11 July 2007

This is a true "motor" lodge. While the web shows pictures of a quaint building where you check in, the lodge is a double decker drive up with wooden planks that shake when someone walks by your room. They advertise a pool but it's been closed for 10 years. Meanwhile, the owners offer up rooms on the back side of the motel (20 yards from working train tracks) to tour bus groups. In our case 80 teen girls on 2 buses rolled in at 10 pm. The girls proceeded to run all over the place until 2 am, hence the title of this posting. I brought this to management's attention the next morning and was very abruptly & rudely cut off from finishing my comments and told that I "should have called the noise in." Management takes the approach that there is no problem until someone complains. Still, I don't think it would have made any difference as stopping 80 teenagers from having fun running around the place would be like the game wack-a-mole. The manager has had these problems with tour buses before.

The rooms are very basic semi-clean and livable. Still we vacated the following morning for a bit more expensive yet true to its advertising stay down the street.

Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed 21 May 2007

The location is great since it across from the Searles Castle and close to a great and vibrant small downtown. The room was okay in a dated sort of way (but why was there a long hair on the pillow when I pulled the bedspread down?) but it lacks wireless, certainly an inexpensive basic to provide in 2007.

There must have been a operating indoor pool at one time, but it is closed, as it was 2-3 years ago when we stayed there.The continental breakfast has shrunk from what it was 2-3 years ago; just coffee, OJ, cereal and toast or supermarket bagels.

It seems to have gone a bit downhill from the last time we stayed there. Wireless and more breakfast choices could move it to an average rating.

Even though we have really liked the proximity to downtown, I think we'll be looking elsewhere the next time we stay in the area.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank CtSam
Reviewed 11 December 2006

This motel has a great location, so it's too bad they haven't spent any money on renovations. The room was barely clean, and dingy. Spend a little more and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 September 2006

I have stayed at this Days Inn many times (over a dozen, I would guess). Granted it is not luxurious, and like another comment, I find the window unit AC/heater unit annoying (it can be quite loud when it kicks on). However, I do not find the rooms to be overly small, the bathroom is clean and well appointed. It is very convenient to have two beds as well (I often meet hiking friends in GB and a romantic B&B with only one bed is not always the best option!). I always try to book the 2nd floor as there is not a lot of sound insulation between the ceiling & floor (as I found out during one unfortunate stay with a LOUD couple above us!).

I have only stayed on weekends and the same woman has been working the front desk for years. She is always prompt, courteous, friendly, knowledgeable, in fact, she amazes me with her great attitude and friendly manner every time I stay there. She is a true pleasure.

All in all, you simply cannot beat the location (right at the intersection of Taconic Ave, about one block from Railroad Ave & Main Street, where all the shops/restaraunts are). It is truly the only place you can stay in GB (that I've found) where you can walk to town, enjoy a couple of glasses of wine with dinner and not have to worry about driving. If there were another hotel/B&B right in town, even if it were more expensive, I might check it out. However the Day's Inn does have great rates in the off-season (I generally seem to pay $89 or $119). It's easy, convenient, clean and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: January 2006, travelled with friends
2  Thank kmportero
Reviewed 13 September 2006

We used to stay here on a regular basis because we liked the ability to walk to Great Barrington restaurants and movies. Also, the interstate bus, that we sometimes took, stops directly across the street.

We finally decided to shift to another hotel slightly out of town.

The deciding factor for us was the air condition / heating unit located under the window by the room door that cycles noisily on and off all night and blows directly across the beds. We also found the rooms dingy and in need of upgrading.

The coffee/donuts in the morning is a plus and the service is friendly.

Stayed: August 2005
Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Barrington
Fairfield Inn & Suites Great Barrington Lenox/Berkshires
Fairfield Inn & Suites Great Bar...
#2 of 10 in Great Barrington
Lantern House Motel Great Barrington
Lantern House Motel Great Barrin...
#3 of 10 in Great Barrington
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox
Holiday Inn Express Great Barrington
Holiday Inn Express Great Barrin...
#7 of 10 in Great Barrington
Yankee Inn
Yankee Inn
#6 of 16 in Lenox

Been to Days Inn Great Barrington? Share your experiences!