“Perfect!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Greenfield
The House On The Hill Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 5 Greenfield B&B and Inns
San Diego, California, United States
“Perfect!”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Everything from the serene setting to the comfy bed to the delicious cooked breakfast to the accommodating hosts was perfect. Would highly recommend. Worth a trip just to stay here. Only wish....more nights next time. Our one night stay just wasn't long enough!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AnnieS509

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I want to thank Donna for taking special care during my second stay at The House on the Hill. This is a spectacular B&B, maintained with a lot of TLC and attention to detail. The breakfast is wonderful, the views are awesome, and the quiet country is a delight. I come back refreshed and full of energy. A special call out to the beds. Ahhhh.... wish I could take one home. Wonderful stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank mike_sangha
Wakefield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I had never been to a Bed and Breakfast before until my recent stay at The House on the Hill.
The only negative thing I can say is my visit was too short. This warm and cozy Bed and Breakfast was recommended to me by friends and I could not be more grateful. I did not know what to expect as I have always stayed at hotels and motels where everything always seems to be the same. Entering The House on the Hill felt like home. The ambiance was warm and welcoming. There was a fire in the wood burning stove and the furnishings were both elegant and comfortable. Our room was perfect. Once again the room was uniquely decorated, and very clean. The bathroom was bright and clean with an array of different colored towels. Donna greeted us and it was like meeting an old friend. I had spoken with her on the phone and she was very helpful with suggesting places to see etc. I had already taken her advice to visit Magic Wings which was a huge success with all of us. Once again she offered any assistance needed taking her time and suggesting multiple choices from restaurants to activities. That night I slept soundly in a very comfortable bed and woke up to a delicious breakfast of pancakes and fresh strawberries. There were other breakfast offerings, but I could not resist the pancakes. Our breakfast was leisurely which in today's fast paced world seems like a thing of the past. Sadly our short visit cam to an end. I cannot wait to return in April and experience this charming home again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jan J
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Visiting this B+B is a vacation unto itself. It is exquisitely clean, cozy, comfortable and well-kept. The house is beautifully and lovingly furnished; each room has its own special style and features. Everything in the House on the Hill, from the breakfast ingredients, to the beds, to the furniture, to the amazing selection of art on the walls of each room, is locally sourced and has a story behind it--ask Donna for a tour! You could literally spend hours just looking at all the beautiful local treasures throughout the house.

In terms of location, the House on the Hill is convenient to pretty much everything around. You can easily get to Amherst, Northampton, Deerfield, Northfield, etc. It was very convenient to the Northfield Mount Hermon School.

As for the lodging experience--Donna's hospitality is amazing. She is incredibly accommodating and will tell you everything to do in the region. She is also an *amazing* chef who will use the best, freshest local ingredients to prepare delicious breakfasts and sometimes extra treats during the day. Also, the rooms and beds are heavenly in terms of comfort. You cannot lie in these beds without falling asleep immediately!

I am not your typical Bed and Breakfast tourist, but I would come back to Greenfield *just* to stay at this place. Every moment here was a true treat. The House on the Hill provides the experience of (easily) a 5-star hotel, but in a warm, personal environment, and for $140 a night with no tax. Amazing!

Room Tip: If you have a lot of luggage, it is possible to request the special first-floor room. I had it and i...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sonja H
Annapolis, MD
Reviewed 3 February 2014

If you have high expectations, this is the place to stay. My husband and I visit our granddaughter several times a year and we would change our travel dates if The House on the Hill was not available. Read the other reviews and you'll see everyone LOVES the comfort, cleanliness, and charm of this historic home. The breakfasts are worth planning time to savor. The wrap-around porch invites a leisurely cup of coffee, a good book, and your camera.

Donna and Allain provide sincere hospitality. You are welcome to gather in the living room to play one of their board games, use the guest refrigerator to chill your wine, enjoy a complimentary chocolate or two, and revel in the provided bath amenities. (When I got home, I bought several bottles of the shampoo they use.) Travel back in time with these hosts as your treasured friends.

Room Tip: We've never heard any truck noise but there is a well-traveled road next to the inn. (Remember...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Bristol, CT
Reviewed 17 November 2013

The House on the Hill is everything we had dreamed a bed and breakfast would be…and more! The ambiance was peaceful, warm and inviting. Our room was extremely comfortable and elegantly decorated. The bathroom was modern and very clean. My husband and I slept like babies on our luxuriously soft bed. Breakfast was out of this world, which included fresh, local ingredients. Most of all, we can't say enough about Donna, our gracious hostess! One could tell she is very passionate about her bed and breakfast. We took her recommendation to travel to Shelburne Falls for dinner, which is a quaint town located only 15 minutes away and was the site for Robert Downey, Jr.'s latest movie. Our only regret is that we didn't have enough time to explore the many wonderful places in the immediate area, although we did have fun stopping in Northampton and Deerfield on our drive up. We will most definitely be staying at the House on the Hill again!

Room Tip: We stayed in 3B, which had the king size bed. However, we would have been happy to stay in any of th...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 November 2013

This is a very tardy review, as my husband and I stayed here one weekend in September, but we enjoyed it so much. Donna is lovely, and though we tend to be the kind of travelers who like our space, it was so nice to talk to her and the other people staying that weekend and share our travel stories at breakfast and while relaxing. The beds are really comfy, the decor is warm and tasteful, and breakfast is locally grown and plentiful. (The highlight of breakfast for me was the fresh raspberries Donna had grown on the property. They were delicious, and you can't beat that for freshness!)
As others have pointed out, the wrap-around porch is a real asset to this place, and my husband was really excited to be able to sit on the porch swing as the sun goes down, just taking in our surroundings. Someone mentioned truck traffic--but neither of us noticed any of this while we were there. It was just such a pleasant place to be.

Room Tip: Donna was really helpful when we were asking about rooms. We stayed in the one with the largest bed...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Greenfield
Deerfield Inn
Deerfield Inn
#1 of 1 in Deerfield
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel...
#2 of 2 in West Chesterfield
Hampton Inn Brattleboro
Hampton Inn Brattleboro
#1 of 10 in Brattleboro
Brandt House
Brandt House
#2 of 5 in Greenfield

Been to The House On The Hill Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!