“A Homeless Shelter - literally”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Greenfield
Albany
“A Homeless Shelter - literally”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I am a Choice Hotels member - I have stayed in quite a few of these inexpensive rooms over the years. This Quality Inn was shockingly awful. First, when I was checking in, a pajama pants woman came into the lobby to ask if she had any mail. That was when I first realized that this hotel is being used as a shelter for homeless families. That in itself is not the problem - the problem is that this motel is being maintained at the level of quality that you would expect of a shelter, not of a motel where you would have to satisfy paying guests.

I examined the bed - no sign of bedbugs - the mattress looked clean and was comfortable. This hotel recently cleaned up from a bedbug problem - I know this because I had seen it on bedbugregistry.com but it's off now, and the desk clerk assured me everything was taken care of. I would have thought they cleaned the place as well...nope.

The rooms here have balconies - I was on the first floor with a slider to the parking lot - good thing I checked, because it was unlocked. There were two chairs, both badly stained - you would never sit on them - how disgusting...stained carpet - I wouldn't put my feet on the floor without shoes. Air conditioner worked well, but was so noisy it was impossible to sleep with it on. Toilet moved because it wasn't bolted to the floor, water didn't drain well from the tub, so as I was showering, the water was going up to my ankles - I hope it had been cleaned well before I got in.

No, I didn't complain and ask for another room - (I didn't think this that was the only terrible room and any other room would be lovely) I just dealt with it as I knew they were full (Green River Festival weekend, which is why I was there too). However, if I had known ahead of time, I would never have stayed at this dump.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank JB100858

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Avoid if possible. The room was acceptable for cleanliness. That is where the good comments end. Until about ten years ago, this was Howard Johnson's, and I don't think anything was updated since. Beds are hard, patio doors and worn out. Ice machine was 60 paces down three hallways, and vending machine don't exist.
These are the minor things. It seems that most of the staff, and their families, live in the motel. All morning I heard the children of the family outside the patio door, even found a pogo stick on the patio slab), early evening children running the hallway, later evening the adults hollering between rooms outside and in the hallways. If a room is being cleaned, it sounds like an earthquake. Make sure to security latch your door, the manager walked into my room, without knocking. Seems he had the wrong room. It's impossible to rest, relax, or get work done here.
Quality Inn needs to take their mane off this place. They are usually much better then this.
I rated the room this high because of price and location. Change the management and it would be tolerable, even if it is outdated.

Room Tip: Closer to the office is further away from the employee residences.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Fraser, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 1 July 2014

we stayed 3 nights and the location was great for our purpose-family visit. We chose this business because of its location and availability! We were glad to know there was a pool for us to unwind each evening--NOT!!! the pool was 'undergoing repairs'..other posts indicate it has been in this condition for a while. We always like WiFi availability ...well, as luck would have it, the WiFi was 'down' all w/end and repairs would not happen until Monday, our departure date...We came back to the hotel after our first day there to find that some major leak in a room down from us had caused our hallway to be closed/with traffic re routed outside the rest of the stay. Breakfast was good, everything was clean. Did NOT like the new 'plastic' lined mattress covers...not only did it 'crinkle' with every turn, it was quite hot. Also the AC is VERY loud..at 10-15 minute intervals as it goes on throughout the day/night. Other than that? We were pleased. I think owners just have to get their act together. I mentioned all these issues when leaving, manager was very nice, but no compensation was offered.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Monrovia
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Poorly maintained with a bed slightly softer than the floor. The only bright spot was the free breakfast. Even then, the famous waffle iron was broken and repair date unknown. Budget price but not worth the compromise.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Melville, New York
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I am not a high maintenance person - but this place was bordering nasty. The staff was pleasant and helpful - that is what saved them from a 1 star. As well as a pretty decent breakfast - although you should really keep your perishables chilled.
The hotel smelled like mold and curry. The rooms were just atrocious. They were "clean" but just need a whole redo. I was too freak out to even shower. The beds were like lumpy rocks. Ceiling tiles were broken or missing not only throughout hotel but also my room.
There was nothing else available at the time I booked so I had no choice, but don't stay here if you can find somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Reno,NV
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I'm not rating the hotel. I could not find another convienyent hotel in area
Their staff was great. Kate at front desk was going out of her way to find me a ground floor room. I have a walker.
Next I met Cheyenne in the Coroner Cafe (complentary breakfast). She was very helpful with a dynamite personality. She was very efficient in all her duties and greeted each person like an old friend. She helped me with food to table and checked on me frequently. She is an asset who sould be in more visible position.

• Stayed May 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I went with my family for a religious retreat in Amherst and booked two nights at this atrocious hotel. We got there late at night and the smell of cigarettes in the hallway was unbearable . Then we went to the room it looked ok but dark , when we my son try to lay down in one of the beds it had a hole in the middle, I couldn't believe it!! then looking at the ceiling I noticed a cobweb, and wonder when was the last time someone dusted this place. By the morning, we got ready to go to the convention and if I wasn't frustrated enough, I found a roach in the bathroom that's totally unacceptable). I wanted to live that place asap. So we packed our stuff in the car and cancelled the second night. THIS IS THE WORST HOTEL I HAVE EVER STAYED IN MY LIFE. Fortunately, God help us find a nice decent hotel ( Red Roof) which had been recently renovated and the service was excellent. Too bad I didn't take pictures to share, I guess I was too upset. I regret staying here and hope you take my advise so you don't be disappointed.

Room Tip: don't stay here please
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank 670stefr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Greenfield
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst
D. Hotel & Suites
D. Hotel & Suites
#2 of 5 in Holyoke

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!