“The Four Sisters came back for more.......”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Greenfield
Poetry Ridge Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 5 Greenfield B&B and Inns
Woodstock, Vermont
“The Four Sisters came back for more.......”
Reviewed 19 September 2010

Three of my four sisters visited Poetry Ridge for the first time in October 2009 for an annual reunion. When planning our 2010 trip, we all agreed we wanted to return to this lovely B&B and its gracious, wonderful hosts - Mary and Errol. Both years we stayed in the suite at the end of the home with the lovely view of the mountain range. Our newly established tradition is to stay on the deck outside the suite with our wine and cheese enjoying the country as soon as we arrive. The large king bed has the softest mattress around. The private bath is spacious and clean. The woods and trails are a photographer's paradise. If you love history, the library is a treasure. Think of a person or time or event - you will find a book to enjoy. All guests are asked to write a poem in the guest books in the room. Visit the Poetry Ridge and find out what we wrote. Sister number 4 from Vermont

• Stayed September 2010

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Fairfax
Reviewed 15 September 2010

We have stayed there several times, touring Deerfield, Boston, and Stowe (with a side trip to Shelburne Falls). The local poetry ridge hike is excellent with a beautiful scenic overlook. The service was great and they were very occomodating to our schedule.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 10 September 2010

When we first called Errol from Houston, TX, we joked about the 100 degree days we would be escaping when we arrived at Poetry Ridge in early September. We were both surprised to find ourselves in the middle of a 'heat wave' in MA. Not to worry, Errol and Mary had already turned on the AC in our room and were so solicitous about setting up fans wherever we sat in the house. They explained that keeping the heat out downstairs during the day made the evenings much cooler when they could throw open the doors - it worked like a charm!
This lovely old home is filled with books, photos and stories obviously relished by its keepers, who have a rare talent for being attentive and welcoming without being the least bit intrusive. They were happy to ask breakfast preferences and recommend a local restaurant (which was amazing!) but also very discrete about leaving us to enjoy the home and it's many pleasing spaces on our own. As they are conscious stewards of the environment, we found their simple but thoughful provisons of toiletries quite consistent with the overall ethos of Poetry Ridge --- rooms are spotless and comfortable , food is fresh and well prepared, and overall, there is an aura of calm and contentment that left us so very happy we had chanced upon it. As a plus, on our second day, two other couples were at breakfast and a long and lively discussion ensued about many topics, while Errol and Mary were in and out, pouring coffee, commenting now and then, and obviously taking pleaure in their roles as hosts. Don't miss the downstairs Billiards Room and I can only imagine how gorgeous the grounds will be with full fall colors.
Errol and Mary offered something beyond simple hospitality. This gracious and committed pair are genuinely interested in providing their guests with the experience they seek. We hope to return to Poetry Ridge in a cooler season to explore it further.

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Canton
Reviewed 19 August 2010

I chose the Poetry Ridge B&B for the name! Not a smart idea. I wondered to myself why there hadn't been any reviews in 2010. I feel terrible having to write my review, but I want to warn other travelers to look elsewhere. I made our reservation the two days before our arrival, so Errol, the host, kindly offered me a suite overlooking the Pioneer Valley, which I know well as we live about 90 minutes drive away, for $250 vs. $275. I took the offer - luckily, as I peeked into the room next door and there was barely space for the bed, at $175 or $190! I also noticed another bigger room, but facing away from the view.

We were going fly fishing on the Deerfield River in Charlemont, but I wanted to stay in Greenfield, a bigger town, near the highway home. The attractive, early 1900’s house is well situated in a grove of trees near the top of a hill above town, but the trees are now obscuring most of the fabled valley view. On a beautiful afternoon all the windows were double-sealed shut, but there was no air conditioning on the ground floor to seal in. I happen to be a person who likes to feel the real air, so it was the tightness of the seal against the outside that bothered me. Others might have missed the chill of the cooling machinery. Our room itself did have a window air conditioner, if you wanted it.

The decor is a mix of 50's and Victorian in shades of brown and beige from carpeting to curtains. The art and curiosities on the walls were the most interesting feature. Our room was large and sunny - with an oak "bedroom suite" of furniture, but one usually thinks of a suite as having more than one room. Maybe they considered the balcony you could walk out onto a room, but you could not enjoy it, as there were only two small, dirty white plastic chairs. The bathroom was also 50's decor, pink sink and tub, w/plastic shower-head and a push container of supermarket hand soap on the shower shelf. I searched around and found a half-spent bottle of Johnson's Baby Shampoo to wash my hair, as it was too late to look for a store. No conditioner, no lotion. Even a Quality Inn gives you "amenities"!

Errol and Mary moved back east after many years in the midwest to retire and start the B&B. They were very personable and helpful, so I wish I had more positive words about the Poetry Ridge. Possibly in Wisconsin this would be a good place. Here, after the first day's breakfast, which was an egg and veggie concoction that was pretty, hot and tasty, the second breakfast felt and tasted cooked too far ahead of our arrival for it. So I can't even recommend the food.

If you are staying in the area, look elsewhere or check for a place in Shelburne Falls, a charming town we discovered just off Route 2/2A, just before Charlemont. Note: almost every restaurant in the area is closed on Monday night! We even drove to Shelburne Falls. Fortunately we eventually made a wrong turn and happened upon the Mag Pie – a new, gourmet Pizza restaurant in Greenfield, closed on Tuesday!

Hopefully Mary and Errol will read this and make some adjustments.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AFussyTraveler
Boston
Reviewed 19 May 2009

This was our second stay, we went bicycling in the area. (There's a bike path nearby, and great roads along the river.) From the porch there's a beautiful view of Mt. Toby. And you can hike for hours in the park next door, going up to Poets Seat Tower takes about half an hour where there's a great view of Greenfield. (If you prefer, you can also drive up). Breakfast was delicious - over two mornings we had cream cheese pie, salmon puffs, an egg dish, a spinach/cheese casserole and always coffee, toast, yogurt, cereal, fruit.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank spanish_af
Arlington, MA
Reviewed 18 March 2007

My teen daughter and I decided to head to western Massachusetts for a relaxing long weekend. Poetry Ridge Bed and Breakfast in Greenfield, a relatively new B&B, was a perfect retreat. The owners, Errol and Mary, were warm and welcoming, and provided us with good recommendations, particularly for an excellent, new local restaurant. Despite being in Greenfield for just over a year, they know the area very well. Our room had a great view of the distant hills, a working fireplace, an immaculately clean bathroom, and a large, comfortable bed. The full breakfast was delicious, and the owners inquired about our food preferences as well. The Belgian waffles with fruit compote were a favorite! We also enjoyed the trails surrounding the B&B, which lead to Poet's Seat Tower. We had come to the area to do some cross country skiing in anticipation of a predicted snowstorm, and were pleasantly surprised to find that Errol had not only cleared out the driveway, but cleaned the snow off our car as well. Mary and Errol were great to talk with, and we enjoyed seeing the photos of the house being built in 1910. We highly recommend this B&B and can't wait to return!

Stayed March 2007
4 Thank NEReviewer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Greenfield
#2 of 5 in Greenfield
Red Roof PLUS+ South Deerfield
Red Roof PLUS+ South Deerfield
#1 of 1 in South Deerfield

Been to Poetry Ridge Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!