“Pure enjoyment and relaxation” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Brandt House

Brandt House
Ranked #2 of 4 Greenfield B&B and Inns
KC
“Pure enjoyment and relaxation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2009

My husband surprised me with a birthday trip to the Boston-Greenfield area. I was in desperate need of a relaxing vacation, and the Brandt House more than delivered. We absolutely enjoyed the historic home and gardens, and our room was quite comfortable. I am an early riser so I would go down to the dining room each morning, pour myself a cup of coffee, and head back upstairs to a charming sun room with the most comfy overstuffed chairs and read a book until my husband awakened. Once we had breakfast, we were hooked for life. I simply had not tasted such wonderful "Eggs Benny" (the first day) or "Triple Sec French Toast" (The second day). My diet would have to wait until we returned home.

I finished an entire novel while sitting on the chaise lounge located on the wrap around porch while my husband napped on the cushioned porch swing (That may sound like a strange napping spot, but it is the most comfortable porch swing I have been on!).

The furnishings throughout the house begged for you to come and "sit a spell", and believe me, we sat in every common area in the house! The decor and eclectic art collection added to the charm of this fabulous B & B.

The innkeepers and all of the staff we had the pleasure of meeting were generous and accommodating, and we are already planning our next visit...they say New England in the fall is not to be missed...book us a room at the Brandt House!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Rockland, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2009

The website made the Brandt House more than it seemed. When we pulled in the driveway, I was alarmed to see that the house was in serious need of a paint job. The inside of the house was decorated nicely, but was shabby. Little things throughout the house were in disrepair, such as the pool table. The pockets for the pool table were torn, so you could not enjoy a game.

When I made a reservation for Room #8, I confirmed that the room had AC. I wanted to make sure the room was comfortable since it said it was in the penthouse. I was assured that the room would be cool. Unfortunately, that was not the case. When we arrived, the room was extremely stuffy. No windows had been opened or fans turned on. The room did cool down during the night, but only with all the windows on and all fans turned on. Please be advised that with Room #8, there is no lock for the door since it is a fire escape for that floor. I was not advised of this when I made the reservation. Since we could not lock our door, I was unable to put my son's porta crib on the main level. We had to bring up to the loft area with us.

There were so many things that needed updating or to be fixed. It took forever for the hot water to come on. The whole house was extremely hot. We could not enjoy the little deck outside our room because there was a broom left on it and an old air conditioner. The deck was covered with tree moss and was in desperate need of a power washing. The clicker for the TV was missing the battery cover. There was hair in my tub when we arrived (I will not even go there). We could not find the remote for the blinds for the skylights. Some of the cranks for the skylights were broken.

My husband and I have stayed in B&Bs and this one was not worth the price at all. It was very overpriced for the amenities provided. The website is very deceiving.

The good thing about the inn is that the staff was very friendly and the breakfast was good. We were unable to have breakfast on both days, but we did enjoy Saturday's. The garden was beautiful and my son enjoyed playing out on the grass.

I am sorry to say that I would not stay at the Brandt House again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mrsflynnsmith
Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2009

The claim to fame of this house is its age. Staying in a historic inn that has not been refurbished, one expects certain inconveniences: creaky floors, quirky plumbing, sticky windows, narrow stairs. However, any charm this old building offered diminished due to some serious flaws of our bed. An innkeeper cannot rightly skimp on the bedroom and breakfast part of his/her B&B!

Perhaps the recent expense of re-designing the backyard zen garden is the reason for the seriously outdated mattress and linens on our bed. (It would appear no expense was spared on the garden, and sadly it did not correlate with the historic colonial building.) The bed was very mushy--not just soft, old--and the linens were overused. The ceiling fan in our very warm third level bedroom was a welcome site, until we turned it on and heard its noisy operation. It looked like it might wobble right off the ceiling--and no, it wasn't a charming historical piece placed to impress antique aficionados.

In addition to the poor sleeping arrangements, was the poor service. My husband and I are both in our 50s, and no one offered to help us with our bags up the very narrow, shallow, dimly lit stairwell to our third floor room. Mind you, we are not lightweights and still go tent camping in the mountains, but an offer to help bone-tired travelers with bags would have been a welcome treat.

The breakfast was a more desirable experience. We did appreciate the hot and tasty, proten-filled breakfast. There was a small table for 4 and a large for perhaps 12. The room is large enough to accommodate several small tables, which may be more popular with guests. The large porch would also be a nice place to serve breakfast.

This place was recommended by young friend who stayed with her friend. I might recommend it for young people on a tight budget who really enjoy history at any cost, but at the price charged you can probably find a bedroom not so annoying that offers a better night's sleep--instead of being simply a pretty old house on a hill.

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank woolythyme
Washington, D.C.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2009

The reality of the Brandt House doesn't live up to the pampered, sleek comfort of the impression left by its web site. I had a small room on the top floor, reached via two separate staircases, but was offered no help with my bags. The inn is a small mansion, very well looked after. My room was fine, certainly comfortable enough for the price. But the television was tiny and couldn't be seen easily from the bed, the towels were what you'd expect at a Holiday Inn, and -- in a very odd feature -- the huge bathroom window had large-slatted blinds that were fixed in the open position (unlike the blinds in the bedroom, which could be cranked). This meant that in the morning, blinding sunlight flooded the bathroom, shining directly on the bathroom mirror. This would have made it impossible to look at myself in the mirror, had I not opened the bathroom door to serve as a barrier against the sun, wedging myself between it and the sink. At breakfast I had the common table to myself, since a large party which had taken multiple rooms had already left. Yet the server was ambivalent toward me, and the hovering owner (or manager?) scolded me for misusing the toaster and later helped himself to a cup of coffee from a pot that the server had put down beside my placemat, which effectively denied me a third cup of coffee. When I stepped from the dining room to the living room for a few minutes intending to return, my remaining dish and food had been swept away in the intervening time. When I wanted to check out a half-hour later, there was no one to be found in the house to whom I could surrender my key. It was a bit like staying at a friend of a friend's house when they were away -- serviceable, to be sure. But lacking in human warmth.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank JackSD
Ottawa, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2009

Easter weekend was a great opportunity for us to try and find a little pampering and peace from our very busy life. This was a first for my husband and I to say at a B&B. We travelled by car from Canada. At one point we got a little lost due to a GPS malfunction, we took a wrong exit off Highway 91. We called the innkeepers, and much to my delight, John stayed on the telephone with us until we were comfortable in where we were going. On arrival Steve and John (the innkeepers), met us at the front door, helped us with our baggage, and brought us to our wonderfully decorated Room 1. We were then treated to a tour of the house and its grounds and introduced to the friendly and acommodating house staff. The house is magnificent and stands out from all the other mansions in the area. The Zen gardens are spectacular - and offered a quiet place to relax and reflect on our busy lives. Although all the plants and shrubs were not bloomed yet, the feeling there is very relaxing. John travelled to Bali and hand picked all the statues and stone to create the perfect Zen garden. We were assigned to room 1 with Kingsize bed, (fit well for my 6'1" husband), fireplace, and private bath. We had access to all the common areas of the house. The sun room with it s big screen tv, computer and comfortable sofa's and complimentary juice and water in the fridge was great for relaxing before and after dinner. The billiard room and tastefully decorated living room on the main floor was accessible to us as well. The inn was full and yet, we felt that we were the only people there. The staff were always available but not intrusive. The next morning we woke up teeling very rested in that comfortable bed to the smell of bacon and baked goods. We met in the dining room for breakfast. We were seated with other patrons and Steve introduced us all. Steve joined us for breakfast and made everyone feel very comfortable. It was great to meet other people and the conversation was all about how everyone was having such a wonderful time at the B&B. We started with a bowl of fresh fruit, fresh baked scones followed by a delectable tomato/basil Quiche all home baked at the Brandt house. The coffee and juice was bottomless and we could help ourselves.

I found out that there are hiking trails nearby. Snow shoeing is my favorite passtime in the winter. I spoke with some of my collegues and we are planning a winter retreat to Brandt house to take advantage of all those trails.

Being a nervous traveller, I can say that going to the Brandt house was a way to get pampered, away from work, the city, and the fast lane, without having to deal with large hotels, parking, intrusive maid service and no where to go but your room. Thank you very much Steve and John, your hospitality is unsurpassed. We will come back, and we are telling everyone we know, colleagues and friends, about our great stay at Brandt house. - Carolle and Tony (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada)

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2009

I had the pleasure of attending a work retreat at the Brandt House in the dead of winter. The hospitality of the staff, the welcoming decor, the comfy beds and linens, the fresh-baked breakfast pastries all made for a warm and productive two days away from the office. The staff went above and beyond to meet our needs, giving us the run of the place to conduct our business. Brandt House is a perfect backdrop for a creative brainstorm session - with rooms beautifully appointed to satisfy the most discerning business traveler. It felt like a home away from home. Now if I can just make it an annual retreat! :)

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2009

I visited Brandt House this January and fell in love with it. I've been to many B&Bs in my days and this one really captures the spirit: each room is different and has tons of character - and as a male, I liked how the rooms and spaces felt gender neutral - oftentimes B&Bs over-do it on frilly Victorian flowers and stuff - but Brandt House is a place where EVERYONE will feel at home, both men and women.

The food each day was freshly homemade --- my only regret is not getting some of the recipes because they were unique and tasty. And when we went out for dinner, they sent us to a great restaurant nearby.

I was there as part of a 2-day work meeting and I can tell you this place also works very well for meetings and company events/offsites (as it promises on its website). Our team felt at home, did some great brainstorming and ultimately bonded over the period. Our retreat would not have been as successful if Brandt House hadn't been a major part of it. Book your next retreat here!

Stay at Brandt House if you get the chance - you'll be so glad you did.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank NycWilliamsburger
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Greenfield
#1 of 1 in Bernardston
Red Roof PLUS+ South Deerfield
Red Roof PLUS+ South Deerfield
#1 of 1 in South Deerfield

Been to Brandt House? Share your experiences!