“Amazing dinner and allergy-friendly”
Review of Gibbet Hill Grill

Gibbet Hill Grill
Ranked #2 of 18 Restaurants in Groton
Price range: US$0 - US$28
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We chose to celebrate our anniversary at Gibbet Hill. Having a food allergy often limits our dining options, but the server and the chef stopped by to ask details about the allergy. They explained how they could accommodate it and what menu items ware safe and what were not. It was clear they had a protocol in place to help diners like us.

We had a truly lovely evening, and hope to return soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

The aged sirloin steak was perfect, as we're the sides. You can close your eyes and point to anything on this menu and still have a great meal.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at Gibbet Hill this past week. The pastoral setting is beautiful, the restaurant is clean, but casual, and the service was excellent. I ordered the free range chicken, which was good, but not excellent--a bit bland--but the cheddar cheese grits were excellent. My husband made the wiser choice, and went with beef, which is their specialty. His steak was delicious. We would definitely go back and delve deeper into the menu, but after the first visit, we'd highly suggest the beef!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Restaurant is immaculate and service is wonderful. But I was underwhelmed by the food. Maybe, had I stuck with the farm to table menu, I would've fared better, but that wasn't the case. I didn't find much on the wine list my diner and I could agree on, so I forwent the wine. His vesper was ok, so I forwent alcohol altogether. Steamed mussels were lovely, but followed by grey mushrooms and an impossibly tough ribeye. :-( Collard greens were nicely seasoned, but nothing I would remember or want to come back for.

That said, the owner took full responsibility for the fibrously inedible steak - she was charming and so down to earth.

I don't fault the restaurant for my poor choices and hope to come back, and re-try in the fall, when the delicious farm to table bounty reflects the best of New England.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We dined here twice within two weeks, so I'll combine the two experiences. The first time we ate at the bar, and the second time we dined with another couple at a table.

The striking impression on both occasions was the extremely pleasant and friendly staff, from the hostesses, the barmaids, and the waiters and waitresses. They are uniformly pleasant, attentive and courteous. They really add to the overall dining experience.

At the bar I had their specialty farm burger. It was pricey at $16, but I have had similar priced burgers in fine restaurants that were nothing special. This burger was special. At both dining experiences my wife had the same dish since it was so good the first time. She had the crispy haddock. The fish is served over a chowder, so it is an unusual dish.

The desserts there are not particularly special, but I did have the blueberry crisp which was excellent.

Been to Gibbet Hill Grill? Share your experiences!