“paid too much for location..” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Econo Lodge Hadley

Econo Lodge Hadley
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Hadley
Boston, Massachusetts
“paid too much for location..”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

This was my second year staying a night with my daughter who was attending umass amherst vet camp. my mistake for waiting too long to book beacuase all of a sudden everything was sold out like the comfort inn which we had stayed at last year. tried to book online in a panic -got the last room here at a triple a discount and made the mistake of hitting back and lost the room. called the hotel and they couldnt give me that discount now but had that one room which I booked in a panic. So when I checked in and entered the room I was assaulted by a super strong chemical smell that appeared to be coming from the handicap bathroom. I tried to open the windows best I could but since its on the 1st floor wasnt much. Went to the front desk and they gave me a spray febreeze like thing. Even after vigorous spraying that underlying harsh smell remained. When I picked up my daughter and took her to the room all she could say was what is that smell? As i said we stayed at the comfort inn maybe 7 minutes down the road the year before , had a fridge and a lovely room for so much less .. motto of the story i guess is book early, these amherst hotels sell out for sports shows ect in may and can charge whatever they want because of the demand , many different buses at this hotel. very disappointed how much I paid for the really basic room and that terrible smell...

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Fairfield, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

This is good, clean, basic hotel. Great friendly staff.

Would stay again in area.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank cttraveller67
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

Prices can be high for rooms in this area because there aren't a lot of options. In general, the staff at the Hadley Econo Lodge provides service like you'd find in more expensive lodging, instead of the budget category of this hotel. They are friendly and they work hard.

The rooms are fairly basic as you might expect, but there's a lot of natural light because the rooms are not the standard long narrow spaces due to the location of the bathroom. Instead of locating it on the short wall adjacent to the hallway, it's on the long wall of the room. The 2-bed rooms have full size beds, not queens so they're not cramped, and there are extras like a full length mirror, iron, ironing board, coffee maker in the bathroom, and free WiFi.

Our room was kept clean, but I did find more flaws than a more expensive hotel might have allowed -- a small hole in the shower curtain, a slight stain on a blanket. I could have asked for replacements if it really mattered. What's more important to me is that the front desk staff was grateful to hear about these issues at checkout. And when the toilet wouldn't flush, there were two employees in succession pretty quickly until the problem was fixed.

The breakfast is better than adequate, but I was surprised that there was no peanut butter either morning. The computer and printer in the lobby worked fine, and guests seemed to enjoy the pool. I'd stay here again, no problem.

Room Tip: As other noted, the back of the hotel is quieter. Don't miss the pastry shop down the road, a...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Boston, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

Not the place to go for a vacation or looking for luxury, but fine for a convenient overnight. We spent one night while visiting colleges in the area. The location was convenient for our needs, but it is on a busy road - there are several other motels/hotels nearby - with a shopping area behind (including Panera which was great for a quick and easy breakfast). The room was small and ordinary but very clean. The best part was the friendly and helpful staff. They were able to give us accurate directions, make dining and activity suggestions (all of which were great!), and offered shopping advice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of the building. The main road is audible in the front.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Montreal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

Hotel located on major highway in Hadley, next to a mall, close to Amherst, with only a few fastfood restaurant within a walking distance. Room was good for price we paid, clean, somewhat noisy, free wifi, breakfast was barely OK, not a lot of options. Staff was nice and helpful.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Lewiston, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for one night while visiting a school in the area. Our room was very clean and quiet, the price was right, and the location was perfect. The staff was friendly and helpful. As an added bonus, there was a Dunkin Donuts right next door. We will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

Note to manager: Please train Josh and Valerie on how to treat valuable customers.
I book Choice hotels 200 nights per year while working in various states.
On this reservation I worked all night (later than usual) and called 6:25am to let the staff know I would arrive after 7am. Josh said he would see what he could do. I got a voicemail 45 minutes later stating that they haven't seen or heard from me so they couldn't hold the reservation any longer. I called back and Valerie got smart with me and said me "apparently you don't know the rules". No concern, no attempt to help, and even a little condescending. AND I later found out from customer service that they had booked another reservation without my consent. To avoid things from getting any worse, I called and politely requested Valerie cancel it. Politely, even thought I was fuming I decided to deal with it as calmly as possible.
The saving graces: New hotel. Clean. I stayed here the night before and the receptionist was rewardingly helpful and cognizant of my Choice Privileges status. The room was comfortable. The price was a good value.
The irony: Even I was working a distance away, I was willing to drive 20 miles to this location because of the good reviews.
So I'm going to be fair with 3 stars because somehow 2 bad apples named Josh and Valerie slipped past management. Shame.
I also agree with one reviewer about thin walls. I could hear conversation or TV (not sure) from an adjacent room but that didn't really bother me.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hadley
Comfort Inn
Courtyard Hadley Amherst
Hotel UMass
Hotel UMass
#1 of 3 in Amherst

Been to Econo Lodge Hadley? Share your experiences!