“Safe quiet haven”
Review of Econo Lodge Hadley

Econo Lodge Hadley
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Hadley
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We recently stayed at the Econo Lodge because they area was filled due to graduations at the local Universities. We found it surprisingly well above average. Clean, comfortable, courteous staff. Would definitely stay there again. This time without any trepidation!

Stayed: May 2013

Reviewed 10 March 2013

It may have been a "coincidence" but we were told no double rooms were available when we checked in with a Priceline reservation (not possible to specify room type with Priceline). There was a Basketball Tournament that weekend so perhaps this was true. We were able to get a roll-away bed (I was traveling with my father and we didn't want to share a bed) which ended up being quite comfortable. Room was adequate but HBO did not work and on the second day of our two-day stay our room keys were cancelled and had to be re-set. They didn't "take" the first time and I had to return to the desk and have them re-set a second time. The night clerk made me feel as if I was inconveniencing her ... so we never bothered to re-request the HBO be fixed. The toilet leaked as did the faucet on the sink. Otherwise clean. Breakfast was adequate, no eggs and it is TERRIBLE to see that they use STYROFOAM! All in all we got what we paid for (and yes, we DID get a deal) but did not necessarily feel that we were valued guests or that our comfort was important.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank myxbze
gmMA121, General Manager at Econo Lodge Hadley, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2013

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate the opportunity to hear from our guests and create a better product. As a company that prides ourselves on our great customer service, I am concerned about your experience and I would welcome an opportunity to speak with you with regards to it. Certainly, we wish all our guests to feel welcomed and comfortable in our hotel.

At your service,
Ben Kowal, General Manager

Reviewed 25 February 2013

This was the best Econo Lodge we've ever stayed at. It was very clean and super convenient to Amherst. It was also right between a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods so perfect! Customer service was also excellent. Our shower drain was a bit clogged and we mentioned it to the night desk person who said he'd have it taken care of the next day. We didn't remember to remind them in the morning but when we got back the next night, it had been taken care of anyways. Breakfast was very basic but for the price, it was fine. I would recommend this hotel to others traveling to the Amherst area.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I always stay here on my visits to see my son at UMass. Great location, friendly staff, clean rooms, heated pool. 4 night stay this time, one night being superstorm NEMO. No driving ban after 4pm, so we got snacks, and drinks, for a night in room. TV, free wire less made it perfect. In the morning, plow was in the parking lot, staff shoveling outside @ 700am. Impressive. Plus shovels available for guests. Great stay again Thanks Econ Lodge

Room Tip: Close to all the colleges. Dunkin Donuts next door, liquor store with great selection 1/2 block away...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I took my daughter to Umass-Amherst and wanted a place to stay the night. The Econolodge was convenient and overall met my needs. The evening lady was not very friendly and said my card had been declined when it had not. I asked her to try again and everything went fine. The free breakfast the next morning was great! But that is not why I am writing. The next day before checkout, I forgot a check for over 2,000 dollars on the bed. When my daughter and I got back on campus, we were franctic. After combing every available stop, we returned to the Econolodge and the check was waiting for us in an envelope at the desk. The sweet desk lady (Jan 21st around 2:00m - Lynn?) was a doll. For us, honesty trumps everything. Thank you.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the shopping center, it is a bit more quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 December 2012

We stayed here for a couple nights in mid-October. I am just now writing this review because of a billing issue, which has recently been resolved. Here's the story:

I booked a room - through a travel site - at the last minute, because of an unplanned family-related matter: 4 nights - Saturday through Tuesday. A King Room. Non-smoking. Our plane out of O'Hare was delayed, and we arrived at the hotel around 7pm. We were told at the front desk that the "last King, non-smoking room was given to another guest 10 minutes ago." The place was sold-out, and there was only one room available: a King, smoking room. Of course, we had no choice and took the room with a promise to move us into a non-smoking room the next day.

We got to the room, opened the door and were hit by a wall of "smoke stink" that was made even worse by the room heater which was blasting hot air. It was like walking into a smoldering ash tray. I am not exaggerating, everything in the room was saturated with smoke. It was - hands down - the most-disgusting room that we have ever stayed in, in all our travels.

Needless to say, we did not really sleep that night. The only good thing was that we didn't unpack our bags: kept them in the trunk of our rental car, which was clean and smelled great! (Unfortunately, we couldn't spend the night in the car!) However, the next morning, our clothes smelled like we spent the night at some dive bar. I'll leave it at that.

Before leaving the hotel in the morning, we did complain - again - at the desk, and did get a new King, non-smoking room later in the day, when it became available. Nothing special. As a matter of fact, when we got back to the hotel to check into our new room, the bed wasn't even entirely made-up. Specifically, the bedspread was pulled down, not covering the pillows. And the bathroom was short on towels.

Later that day, we had ANOTHER unexpected family issue which required us to check-out 2 nights early - a good thing! - and drive to Connecticut. However, we pre-paid the travel site for 4 nights. The billing issue, which I mentioned above, resulted in a one-night credit.

This was a crazy-bad trip from beginning to end. One that we'll always remember.

As you all know, every trip is a personal experience. You get the good and you get the bad. At this Comfort Inn, we got the bad. Oh well. We'll never stay here again.

To end on a positive note: the front desk staff was totally professional and did the best job they could do, under the circumstances.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2012

We stayed here for one night recently. I found the lobby to be very modern and the desk staff to be very helpful. Unfortunately the room we were given needed some work. It was very outdated - the linens on the bed were old, the chairs had stains on the seats, the furniture was in rought shape, etc. - but surprisingly the bathroom was quite large and updated and well maintained. The bed We also used the pool which could also use a facelift. The location was awesome - very convenient to lots of shopping.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hadley
Comfort Inn
Quality Inn & Suites
#3 of 5 in Northampton
Courtyard Hadley Amherst
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst

Been to Econo Lodge Hadley? Share your experiences!