“Average but clean !”

Courtyard Hadley Amherst
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Hadley
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Stayed here with two friends while attending an event in Hadley. At the time of booking, the only available room was one with a King bed and pullout sofa bed. The sofa bed was of very poor quality and was prepared with a small non-fitting mattress pad and clean sheets. I could feel and hear mattress springs with every move made throughout the night. This hotel needs to upgrade their sofabeds and linens in order to accomodate a guest party of three adults in a room. The bath towels were clean but very thin and cheap. All three of us were woken several times throughout the night with noise from people in the corridor and getting on and off the elevator close to our room. Unlike many Courtyard Marriotts, this hotel does not offer free coffee in the morning in the lobby area. On the plus side, the staff members were cordial, and the hotel is a non-smoking one with clean rooms. Unfortunately, there is not a large choice of hotels in this area. I would not recommend a stay of more than a night or two, and would rate the hotel as very average.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the elevators, extremely noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Marianne D
Sean W, General Manager at Courtyard Hadley Amherst, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us where we can iimprove. Our Towels and Linens are in the process of being replaced, Marriott has a new version available soon. I'll work with the maintenance team on the npoisy sofa bed. The coffee is offerred free 24 hrs a day, so My apologeese if the team neglected to point out it's lobby location next to the business center.

Please let me know if you come back to the area as I would love an opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

We are never sure why some Marriott hotels include breakfast (Fairfield Inn) and some don't (Courtyard), but overall we were happy with this hotel. The mattresses, bathrooms, everything, super clean and comfortable. Staff welcoming, responsive, friendly. They had great suggestions for local eateries and gave us directions when we needed them. They also supplied extra towels and toilet paper in our room within minutes of us asking. Great place centrally located to the colleges and small town centers in the Amherst area. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I have not stayed in a hotel with a more professional, cordial, go-out-of-their-way-to-help-you staff. The staff at check-in went out of their way to be helpful and I thought it just could not get any better. However, the staff the next morning was just as good (General Manager, my stay was 3/28 so you can identify the staff on duty). This was even more extraordinary since the hotel was sold out due to an admitted student orientation at UMass on Friday.
This is a tip for anyone ordering food delivery. Don't. Drive to the restaurant and pick it up yourself. Many of the nearby restaurants use the services of a delivery service. We ordered dinner and it arrived without eating utensils. I had a hard time believing a delivery service would not anticipate the need for eating utensils if the delivery was to a hotel.I was told it was not included because I DID not ask for it. So why don't you have your order taker to ask? After all, she asked me if I wanted to add the tip right then and there. The manager said eating utensils are not included because, 'we would have to buy it.'
So, I had to change out of my pajamas and go hunting in the hotel for silverware. Lucky for me, the hotel staff was much more accommodating than the delivery service.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2013

After 5 nights in a Manhattan hotel, we really enjoyed the spaciousness of the rooms at the Marriott! The rooms are well designed, clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful and there was a nice looking pool and exercise center although we didn't have time to use either. Just a few minutes away from downtown Amherst by car. While we were staying there was a lacrosse team at the hotel and they were a bit raucous. I'm not sure if that is a regular occurrence, but you might want to check when you book and ask to be put in a room away from the team!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 March 2013

While I appreciate the finer amenities of a good hotel - poofy comforters, blackout drapes, tasteful art, yummy room service - the bottom line for me is decent internet. I'd rather sleep on the floor and have a solid signal, than sleep in a 4 poster bed with 20 color-coordinated pillows and a hand-carved headboard -- and be without internet. I need high speed internet for my semi-serious hobby of raiding in massive multiplayer online games; my husband needs the same, and my son needs it for maintaining his winning streak in online strategy games.

At this hotel, internet was great (<50 ms lag) until folks started logging on in the evening. The hotel's bandwidth cap was reached about 8 pm, at which point, everyone and everything crashed, and stayed that way.. My (virtual) teammates were killed as me, their healer, disconnected repeatedly and had enormous lag spikes.. My husband was thrown out of his game. My son, who had paid an entry fee to an online competition and was winning, had to leave the competition. None of us could recover. Once the bandwidth cap is reached, Bluestreak (the hotel's internet provider) doesn't allow further people to log on (which in general is a service to those already online, but still is infuriating to those who can't get online or who were kicked off).. We knew the risks of trying to actually use hotel internet - it's often just terrible - but were hoping against hope that this particular hotel had managed to outpace the usual dreadful internet delivery problems hotels have.

My ongoing small service to the online community is to write reviews about hotel internet and try to suggest to hotels that they increase their bandwidth and get a decent signal - nothing elaborate, just something approaching what you'd get in terms of reliability and speed if you were at home using DSL or cable. So, in this case I did talk to the hotel front desk, and they said they'd gotten permission to upgrade the internet (yay!), but how soon and how much were rather nebulous. By the way, their router placement was fine (many bars); it was just the overall bandwidth that was the major issue (continually disconnecting, or no ability to log on at all)..

Here's hoping the hotel management fixes this problem, because otherwise, this was a very nice hotel. Beautiful 2 room suites, capable staff, insanely good location if you're touring the Amherst-area colleges (as we were).

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Pretre_Z
Sean W, General Manager at Courtyard Hadley Amherst, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2013

Thank you so much for your comments. We are on the last leg of our Internet improvement strategy. We have installed fiber optic, 30mg up 30 mg down pipeline. The hardware needed to carry such a large bandwidth is slated for install during the month of April. We are very aware of the importance of uninterrupted Wifi through out the hotel,. I'm happy to report that thru feedback from our guests such as yourself, we will have the best network in the region in a matter of weeks.

Reviewed 18 March 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times and I am never disappointed. The hotel is clean and well maintained. The rooms are large and well appointed. You don't feel cramped. The front desk staff were all very friendly and helpful. Mat was excellent. We had breakfast at the hotel, it is not included with the room but the price was reasonable and the quality of the food was good. We will be back next year.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We were in Amherst touring the University and this hotel was perfect and looks like a new hotel. It's clean and very convenient to just about everything. The breakfast was wonderful and the staff couldn't be more helpful. We're hoping to return!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hadley
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst
2 mi away
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 7 in Hadley

Been to Courtyard Hadley Amherst? Share your experiences!