“Beautiful Hotel but too expensive”

Courtyard Hadley Amherst
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Hadley
“Beautiful Hotel but too expensive”
Reviewed 4 October 2010

This hotels looks brand new inside and out. Room was extremely clean. Very nice courtyard setup with bonfire, beautiful lobby. Front desk staff is as courteous and professional as you would find in any 5 star hotel. The hottub was actually clean and "hot". Most hotels try to get away with "bath water" temperature. The pool was clean and the gym was clean with working equipment. There was a bar that openned at 5PM, which was a nice addition.

What I did not like was the breakfast -it was limited and was not worth the price. There was much less than I had seen at other Courtyards. The service was poor - cold coffee, no refills, lobby coffee empty, not refilling items. It did not seem to match the top quality of the rest of the hotel and staff.
It was not busy but only a few tables of people, they had more than enough staff and should have done a better job.

I did hear a lot of noise through the walls/ceiling of the room when we first checked in - more than any other hotel I have ever stayed in. I think there is some major mistake in the construction because it was really loud. Maybe they cut corners to save money. But luckily it was quiet the rest of our stay.

Although there were some excellent points about this hotel, it was too way expensive. I only stayed here because everything was booked solid and it was only a mile from Amherst College. I also prefer a better breakfast to be included in the rate.

Would I recommend it - it really depends what you are looking for and how much money you can throw away.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed 1 October 2010

I've had my selection hotels in thearea over hte summer having travelled to Northern MA for 10 weeks. Although this location was not the most convenient to my place of business (20 miles north), it is my favorite place to stay in the area. Breakfast is consistently good, andlocation is prime. Exercse room is really nice with flat screen TV, dumbells and weight press machine (Lifecycle, PreCor or Nautilus style).

I will definitely stay here again the next time I travel to the area.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank redfish777
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 27 August 2010

Seems a bit expensive for this time of year.

Facilities were what we'd come to expect from Courtyard by Marriott. Only one surprise: the breakfast buffet is not complimentary. I didn't see any signs or menus. Certainly, we didn't mind paying, but this appeared to be the standard free-breakfast setup.

I agree. You can hear the hard-walkers in the room above.

Small pool. Wonderful heated spa. Nice, 24-hour gym.

Beautiful location.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Lexington, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 August 2010

A little pricey for the area but worth it. My husband and I traveled with our teenage son to look at some of the colleges. Very close to UMass and Amherst College. The facilities are all new. We chose a king bed with a pullout coach on the top floor (I had read in earlier reviews that it's noisy on the bottom floors, and it was very quiet where we were). My son seemed to sleep OK, but the room could have been a little bigger. The bathroom had an oversized tub and nice tiled floor. The AC worked very well. The fitness room was excellent and there was a patio outside of the hot tub. We didn't eat breakfast there as we chose to go to the Rt. 9 Diner. The staff were very friendly and helpful. If our son decides to go to school in Amherst, this is where we'll stay.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
NY
Reviewed 16 August 2010

This is a clean and modern hotel. The staff from the reception desk to the cleaning staff were all professional and pleasant.

The pool is a bit small so we waited for it to empty out . Not more than one family can be in the pool at one time. The gym, equally is small but if there is no one else there, basic and efficent.
The noise as suggested by other reviewers is the main problem. If you are a light sleeper, the noise enters the rooms easily. There is a gap between the door and the hallway. The walls are rather thin as well. The blackout curtains can be much better. I have stayed at hotels where the blackout curtains keep light out. Here they leak light and it is harder to stay alseep with the light.
The location is convenient if you are visiting colleges in the neighborhood. The best coffee shop is Amherst Coffe, less than 5 min. away by car.
The small Amherst downtown is wonderful for foodies. The best bookstore is in So Hadley. It is a must visit bookstore.
As mentioned before the staff at this hotel is excellent. Note, the hotel breakfast is not free.
For a charge there is a chef who can make omlettes and then the regular buffet breakfast. There is a wait staff to bring coffee and OJ as well.

• Stayed August 2010
Munich
Reviewed 13 August 2010

A relatively new Courtyard with all the expected amenities: restaurant, work-out room, free Wi-Fi, functional, clean rooms--no schnick-schnack. One knows what to expect from this concept. The only gripe I had was with the price for the room during this time period in this particular, rather out-of-the way town. Far too expensive!! The Howard Johnson's next door looked new and there were other choices on Rt. 9 that likely would have offered the same comfort level at a far more reasonable cost.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
new york
Reviewed 7 August 2010

I stayed at this hotel with my two girls and my aunt. We were on a road trip in new england looking at camps. The hotel appears new. The rooms were well decorated and spotless. The kids enjoyed the pool. The staff was friendly. The lobby is designed to be a common area, with a lounge area, TV and computers all in one clubby room This was great because my aunt and I were able to have a glass of wine near the kids while they used the computer. The only disappointment was the breakfast. It was nothing special, and I would have been happier if it had been free.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hadley
Holiday Inn Express Amherst-Hadley
#4 of 7 in Hadley
Econo Lodge Hadley
Econo Lodge Hadley
#5 of 7 in Hadley

Been to Courtyard Hadley Amherst? Share your experiences!