Howard Johnson Express Inn - Amherst Hadley
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Hadley
MA
“Gross”
Reviewed 26 September 2008

There is absolutely no way this is a 3-star property. The room reeked, the carpet was ancient and dirty, the wallpaper was peeling off in places. Usually when exposed to a bad smell you get accustomed to it and don't notice it anymore -- not so here. The sheets had some stains. I wouldn't let my kids go barefoot.

I'm all for cheap, but it needs to be clean. Needless to say, we did not even look at the breakfast offerings. If we hadn't arrived so late, we would have left immediately upon entering the room.

For $50 more we could have had 2 queens at the Courtyard, a nice, new, CLEAN property.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank iggie394

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Ma.
Reviewed 22 July 2008

I've read the reviews and I have to say .I enjoyed my visit in Hadley for business. very clean nice friendly people and they have a breakfast bar. It was better then my business breakfast
I'll go back then again

• Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank dynagirl63
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 May 2008

We stayed here for a family party with several adults and children.
Location was convenient, room was clean, and was a very good value. We would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank cardtraveler
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 February 2008

This place sits in a prime location and could be a nice place. It has been there since before I was in high school and has always held the same standards, a rundown, shabby old hotel that needs a serious upgrade and renovations. The place looks nasty from the outside and it used to have a Howard Johnsons restaurant attached to it, but that is no longer. It is surrounded by brand new hotels in fact one across the street is a Holiday Inn Express and outshines this place. The spot is a haven for local college students from the 5 colleges to frequent and party and do who knows what. Don't let the cheap prices fool you, this place is not even worth that price. The rooms are rundown, the linens are old and the bathrooms are falling apart. Even the hallways and the lobby are beat up. Skip this place and pick one of the 20 other hotels in the area that are a bit more expensive but worth it.

• Stayed April 2004, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lip89

Travellers are raving about these Hadley hotels

NJ
Reviewed 9 October 2007

Stayed 3 days because there were no other options of where to stay on short notice - reserved a room here a month prior to the date of arrival. The carpet was so stained and moldy that I would never think of walking on it barefoot; the furniture was the same way and gave pause to sitting directly on the material coverings. The room was not vacuumed, bathroom was not washed, waste paper containers never emptied in the 3 days there. They only changed the towels and remade beds. This used to be a nice and convenient place but has gone downhill in the past few years. Major rennovations are needed beside proper maintenance. They put a permanent safe in the room and charge you per dium for it whether you use it or not; they charge $20/night for a dog - I would not have my dog step directly on the carpeting as it was worse than any place outdoors that the dog would step. We complained but it did not matter as they know that all rooms locally were filled.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank auntimarl
uk
Reviewed 18 August 2007

Myself and my partner have just come back from a week at this hotel for a family wedding,here is a quick run down of how we found the hotel.
The room was large, 2 double beds, lge tv,fridge,microwave,air con,electronic room safe(charge),2 chairs and a table, overhead shower in bath,lots of room to spread out, very comfortable beds.
The staff were very friendly and keen to help with any questions.

The outdoor pool and sunbathing area was great, if you get a room with a balcony or veranda it is easier to get to the pool as we were up on the fifth floor and it was quite a trek.

This hotel is in a great area on a main road with shopping and restaurants right nearby (walmart etc) try applebees diner,its fantastic!

We had no problems at all with this hotel, the only thing we seemed to find was the housekeeping could be looked at a bit more,having worked at travelodge I expected the sheets of our bed to be changed once during our one week stay but only the top sheet was not the bottom(believe me in that heat u need it changed!) I asked for a sheet at reception and changed it myself,also we noticed our toilet was gettin a bit smelly, so think they could improve a bit in these areas.

This hotel is in a great area, it was my 1st time in America and this made it so comfortable,relaxed and safe.

We will stay again in the future!

• Liked — its location and quality of room
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tuscan159
Ithaca NY
Reviewed 13 August 2007

This hotel is really in need of renovations - the room we stayed in was really dirty and windows were slimy. We were also given a smoking room, which added to the insult. The breakfast was okay, but the breakfast room has only three tables, so peoples had to stand around while eating - not pleasant. I stayed three weeks before at Holiday Inn Express across the street. What a difference!

• Liked — Close to Amherst College
  • Disliked — Dirty rooms
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hadley
Holiday Inn Express Amherst-Hadley
Hotel UMass
Hotel UMass
#1 of 3 in Amherst
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst

Been to Howard Johnson Express Inn - Amherst Hadley? Share your experiences!