“Dog friendly rooms need improvement”

Howard Johnson Express Inn - Amherst Hadley
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Hadley
Maple Shade, New Jersey
“Dog friendly rooms need improvement”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel because they were dog friendly and I did pay an extra $20 a night for 3 nights to have my little dog stay with me. These rooms need improvement~! New rugs, newer TV, new furniture and a safer bathroom floor. I slipped on the bathroom floor & almost broke my leg. I think the TV was from the 70's, very, very aged. I will say that the front desk staff are very friendly, well except for one person. The swimming pool is large & kept nicely. The hallway in my section of the hotel smelled a little like dog pee, I knew I was in the dog friendly area of this hotel. Guests should really take more responsibility for their dogs & clean up the poop. My A/C unit was very aged too, I could have my room freezing or warm--no inbetween. I hope this hotel is updated soon, I plan to go back to Northhampton area to visit family in the future.

Room Tip: If you are NOT traveling with a dog/pet, ask for room near lobby area.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Maylin C, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Amherst Hadley, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you experienced some issues during your stay. Unfortunetly since the building which houses our pet friendly rooms was built in the 1960s, the rooms do have some older fixtures. I would like to let you know that we are in the process of updateing our televisions. We hope to have new TVs installed by the end of the year. I hope that this will encourage you to stay with us again the next time you visit your family!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The people were very nice. My problem was the dirty tub (hair) and empty potato chip bags near the night stand. Everything else seemed good.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Thank you for taking the time to review the Howard Johnson in Hadley! I am glad you were overall satisfied with your visit. I will most definetly be discussing the cleanliness issues you experienced with our housekeeping supervisor to ensure that they are not continuing problems. I hope you will choose to stay with us again soon!
Grand Turk
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My daughter and I just stayed at the Howard Johnson's in Hadley, MA in June 2014. We chose the hotel because my daughter had her dog with her and this Howard Johnson's accepted pets. The pluses >The front desk staff were pleasant and they accepted pets.

The lobby decor was fair but I didn't expect fancy, after all HoJo is usually a basic 3 star type of hotel and that is what it appeared to be. But everything went downhill from there.

The halls were stuffy and smelly. I don't think the hotel room had been renovated since the 1970's and again stuffy and smelly. Old stained carpet, basic low pile the cheapest commercial kind you can get. The furniture was old, the mattress old and worn out, it had a dip in the middle. The bathroom was very outdated, rust stains and the toilet had dirty water in it, like it had not been used for many months. We did have a dog so I can understand the room not being their best but at least the mattress could be updated and the bathroom clean.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Maylin C, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Amherst Hadley, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry you were unhappy with your room. I would like to let you know that we are aware that some of the mattresses need to be replaced, and we are hoping to have new ones by the end of the year! I hope you will choose to stay with us again!

Travellers are raving about these Hadley hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hadley
Holiday Inn Express Amherst-Hadley
Econo Lodge Hadley
Econo Lodge Hadley
#5 of 7 in Hadley
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst

Been to Howard Johnson Express Inn - Amherst Hadley? Share your experiences!