“Run, Don't Walk!”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Hadley
Boston, MA
“Run, Don't Walk!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2008

The Quality Inn (formerly the Comfort Inn) at 237 Russell Streeting in Hadley is disgusting. If it were not Smith College graduation weekend, we would have promptly checked into another hotel.

First, the overwhelming smell of cigars fills the hallways and rooms. It was so strong that my asthmatic daughter and highly allergic husband almost suffocated. Luckily, I have no such allergies, but I still found the smokiness so powerful that my eyes watered. It's bizarre that the hotel advertises itself as "non-smoking" when it provides ashtrays and matches for each room!

The linens were filthy. My party had booked a total of four rooms, and each room had comforters with "questionable" stains: large brown streaks, sticky white patches, yellowy crusty things.

Additionally, there were small blood drops scattered on the wall! Sickening.

The mini-fridge in my room was fully-stocked with the leftovers from the previous guests -- malt liquor, Budweiser, etc. I was more than a little bit upset that my young daughter had discovered it there.

Finally, my brother, who also stayed in the hotel, left with a number of strange charges attached to his card. He was assured that the charges (which were minor) would be removed following his stay. The staff weren't very helpful in resolving the matter.

If you have other options for your stay in the Pioneer Valley Area, I would avoid this place like the plague. There are a number of reasonable and clean establishments nearby. If you have a car and enjoy country living, I recommend a 20-minute drive to one of the area's many bed and breakfasts. I stayed in a beautiful, historic one run by a sweet woman who made me blueberry pancakces each morning (see my other reviews) for the same price:

My advice is to run, don't walk, away from the Hadley Quality Inn.

• Liked — Proximity to Smith College Campus, although, it was still outside of Noho and not worth the drive.
  • Disliked — Unclean, unsanitary!
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank lil_wanderer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Boston, MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2008

Nasty! I called the health department on this disgusting hotel. I discovered vomit, hair, and what I can only describe as "other bodily fliuds" throughout the three rooms that my family stayed in. There was even what appeard to be a possible blood splatter!

Moreover, beer was left in a room where minors were staying, and there was a putrid smoke smell throughout the building. It was so strong that I had to have my clothes drycleaned afte rmy visit. I found it odd that the hotel staff left ash trays and matches in a so-called "non-smoking" hotel.

Run, don't walk, away from this roach motel!

I took pictures of all the dirt, stains and general nastiness, but decided not to upload these disturbing images to my review.

• Liked — proximity to our destination
  • Disliked — unclean! not accessible for older adults or those using a wheelchair
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank lil_wanderer
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2007

The hotel was nice and clean - looked freshly renovated/painted. The staff at the desk polite and helpful. Continental breakfast good - make your own waffles, yogurt, muffins, bagels, oatmeal.
The indoor pool was well kept - my kids enjoyed it. Close drive to Amherst and Eric Carle Museum (reason for our stay). 15 minute drive to Yankee Candle. There is a nice mall close by with restaurants, rollerskating & lasertag. I would recommend this hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2007

Stayed one night in April to look at colleges in Amherst area. Booked the "Internet Rate" which was same as the AAA Rate. (About $62.50 + tax)

Hadley is a small town, convenient to, and barely five minutes from Amherst.

Room was small and simple but adequate, with two double beds although we could have had a queen. I don't think they had Kings. It was on an inside corridor, a plus, with locked outside entry doors.

Room had a small fridge, a microwave, a coffee maker, and a clock radio. Clothing rack but no closet. Free local calls.

Bathroom adequate and all seemed clean.

What distinguished this establishment was its service. My requests for extra pillows, a complimentary toiletry, directions, and restaurant recommendations were all cheerfully accommodated by Brian at the front desk. They had local maps and printed directions to the various colleges in the Amherst/Northampton area.

I noticed a medium sized indoor pool (unusual for a small motel) that appeared clean and in good condition adjoined by a tiny exercise room with three pieces of equipment. Didn't have time to try either.

There was major construction going on as they are expanding. We left too early in the day to be bothered by it. The reservation advised of the construction so there was no surprise.

Complimentary Continental Breakfast was better than expected. Make-your-own waffles are a special bonus along with various breads, sweet danish, muffins, and hard-boiled eggs. Limited choice of dry cereals served out of dispensers, which is always a turn-off to me. Good coffee, though, and some juices. Certainly enough to eat and more than adequate to start the day. The attendant mentioned that they would expand the breakfast offerings when their expansion is completed.

A good value for the area and its category. I'd consider returning here.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — No major complaints
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
New England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2005

We booked a room for the busy college Parent's weekend time October 15, 2005 . It was the absolute last room in the area so I had my doubts.

On the way there, I called in advance and they let us check in 2 hours early. I booked a King room and got one with 2 Queens-no big deal. They had a cot ready for me as requested. The Motel is right on busy route 9 but I did not hear the traffic. The good thing about that location is that Whole Foods and many shopping places, (Old Navy, EMS, etc.), as well as collleges are near by. The buildings of the motel were a bit run down and drab-with the occasional blinking hall light-but okay. The room was average size, with table and chairs, standard poly bedspreads, refrigerator and small bathroom, (with continous fan sound), and seperate sink. The beds were ok with low quality linens-but it was the usual. A maid did open the door with her key by mistake, so luckily we were dressed, etc.. Our room looked right out onto the parking lot so the curtains needed to be drawn. The pool was small and cold and worn-the exercise room was a tiny room with outdated step machine, bicycle, and treadmill squeezed into it. There was a wall mounted tv in there.
Breakfast was the usual bagel faire, plus make your own waffles and hard boiled eggs. All in all, aceptable.

13 Thank theroadlesstravelled
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hadley
Econo Lodge Hadley
#3 of 5 in Northampton
Holiday Inn Express Amherst-Hadley
Courtyard Hadley Amherst
Howard Johnson Express Inn - Amherst Hadley

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!