“Great space, but a little "DIY" for my taste”

Vacation Village in the Berkshires
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Hancock
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed two nights --- I was attending my college reunion. This is a time share unit (near a ski resort) so I guess they take in "short termers" in the summer/slower months.

Pros: because it was a time-share you got an apartment for basically the price of a hotel room elsewhere. Almost full kitchen (two burner electric unit and microwave, full fridge), large dining table with 6 chairs, living room area and separate bedroom. Property seemed nice, certainly clean.

Cons: OK so it's time share so no housekeeping for two night stay. I can cope, I can make my own bed. But they threatened you with a $25 cleaning fee unless you: strip your own sheets, emptied your own trash (can were up a flight of stairs), and washed dried and put away your dishes. All this with non-negotiable 10 a.m. check-out. If I'd wanted to do my own housework, I would have stayed with a relative.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank 40Acres
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village in the Berkshires, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you for your review. We’re happy that you enjoyed our resort but are sorry that you were disappointed in our housekeeping policy. This policy was created to help keep maintenance fees low for our owners. We hope that our spacious rooms with all the comforts of home will entice you to stay with us again the next time you’re in The Berkshires.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed here during our recent week long trip to the Berkshires. The location is excellent for seeing the Berkshires, southern Vermont and western NY. We had a 1 bedroom condo with a full kitchen. The amenities on the resort are limited but we spent very little time at the resort as we were out touring and sightseeing all day and saw a couple plays in the evening. RCI rates this as a Gold Crown resort but I would say it is not quite up to what we normally see in a Gold Crown.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rmorin49

Thank you for sharing your experience. We’re sorry that we didn’t meet all of your expectations but are thankful to know that overall you liked our resort. The Berkshires is a great place to visit any time of year and we hope that we may welcome you back another time at Vacation Village in the Berkshires.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We had both an A and C unit for our group of 4. We wanted two bedrooms and so we had alot of space - like two apartments. It worked well, though, so that if two of us wanted to go to bed early or get up early, it didn't interfere with the others. It was nicely furnished, quiet, and clean. The staff was helpful and courteous. The only criticisms I have are one minor and one is major if you have mobility problems. On the minor point, the fireplaces are decorative only - no heat. In terms of mobility, there's no elevator. My older sister has arthritis and had to take the steps slowly. We didn't complain or ask for another unit because she didn't want to - but if it is an issue for you, do ask for a lower floor unit. Hancock is located in the northern part of the Berkshires, so it was about a 20 minute drive into Lenox then a little further to Stockbridge where many attractions are located. On the other hand, it was close to Vermont allowing us to more easily visit there. We didn't really mind the drive because the scenery was so nice.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village in the Berkshires, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your vacation experience with us. We’re pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay at Vacation Village in the Berkshires even though we weren’t able to meet all of your expectations. The next time that you want your front row seat to the splendid beauty of The Berkshires, we hope that you will once again choose our resort.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Mediocre. Maybe if you golf or ski this location would be good. But, nothing stands out. The rooms are ok. The facilities leave lots to be desired. It's bush league to be required to pay for Internet (only for 2 devices) and even extra if you want a decent speed internet connection. Outside trash cans are tipped over, fences are broken, everything is drab. "Fortunately" my cousin is using her time share money to "host" me. I'd really be disappointed if I were paying. Ps. Do not take recommendations for places to eat in town...a breakfast and dinner were horrible!

Room Tip: We had to ask for a switch. Even with few occupants they had our room windows facing a dreary parki...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Karl W
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village in the Berkshires, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

We’re disappointed to read that we didn’t meet your expectations during your stay. Guests from all over the world choose Vacation Village in the Berkshires as their vacation destination because of our great location, in-room amenities and spacious accommodations. We provide many resort amenities found at other resorts like our scenic indoor pool, fitness center, volleyball, basketball, hiking trails, children’s playground and scheduled activities for guests. Even though your personal experience with our resort was not what you expected, we wish you a better travel experience on your next trip to the Berkshires.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We did an RCI exchange, needed two rms and wanted to bring Rocky, my grandsons' little Maltipoo. Couldn't get two rms together, booked anyway. We arrived early and while all the family was over at Jiminy Peak skiing, I was in charge of Rocky!! I went in to ck on the rms and the fellow who helped me was awesome. He had two connecting rms ready in a pet friendly bldg., early and gave them to me. I was able to get the puppy settled before everyone came off the slopes. It was great. I had never traveled with a pet before and was a little skeptical about how the room would be. Well, it was immaculate, you would never know there had been animals in the room. I was very happy about that. We had stayed here last year and were again pleased with the accommodations, the staff and the.location. Great for three generation family trip!!

Room Tip: Rooms at the ends of some of the buildings have great views of Jiminy Peak. At night with the slope...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Grandma6Boys
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village in the Berkshires, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Thank you for the great review! Positive comments here on TripAdvisor are vital to our reader’s decision-making when choosing a vacation destination and we truly appreciate it when a guest of ours takes the time to share their experience. We’re happy that your family members (including the furry ones!) enjoyed their vacation with us and we look forward to welcoming you again the next time you visit the Berkshires.

Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful resort. Our unit was very clean and the grounds were well kept . The Suite was very spacious and their were a lot of activities to do all week for everyone! However, I was told the pool was cold even though it was heated.It was nice being able to choose to rent a free movie every night. The view of Jiminey Peak is great. One of our favorite museums was The Norman Rockwell Museum and Betkshire Museum!

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Aharvey1031

Thank you for posting about your experience with Vacation Village in the Berkshires. We’re happy that your family enjoyed our spacious rooms and amenities and that you had a chance to visit some of the wonderful museums of the Berkshires. It is our goal to provide excellent service for all of our guests and we look forward to welcoming back on your next Berkshires vacation!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

The worst thing about this place is the units were not insulated from each other and you could hear everything from those staying on both sides of you and above you. You could hear their conversations, the buttons on their microwave, them coughing all night long, etc....we left 2 days early because my husband could not sleep due to so much noise. It was very uncomfortable.
Not impressed with the receptionists at all. They were not friendly and I would go so far to say they had an edge to them.
There were cigarette butts all over outside of our units and the fence was falling over going to our unit. My husband said he could tell it had been that way for a long time. There are no restaurants on site, not even a convenience center. They had two snack vending machines for the whole place, really bad.

Room Tip: I don't believe there are any good rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elizabeth O
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village in the Berkshires, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you taking the time to share your experience. We’re very disappointed to read that our resort did not meet all of your expectations. It is our goal to offer great vacations for our guests and we appreciate your comments as these observations can only help us to improve our performance. We hope you will consider choosing us again so that we may have another opportunity to prove that we are a great choice for lodging while visiting The Berkshires.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hancock
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Hotel on North
Hotel on North
#1 of 8 in Pittsfield
Wyndham at Bentley Brook

Been to Vacation Village in the Berkshires? Share your experiences!