Wequassett Resort and Golf Club
A Beach Breeze Inn(West Harwich)(Great Value!)
US$125
Handkerchief Shoals Inn(South Harwich)(Great Value!)
US$113
Hotels.com
Chatham Tides(South Chatham)(Great Value!)
US$252
Travelocity
US$87
US$78
Travelocity
Coachman Motor Inn(South Harwich)
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
All reviewsouter barmini barcape codatlantic restaurantfire pitpool areatennis courtswater viewlobster rollpirate shipbeautiful propertyoverlooking pleasant bayfour seasonsturn down servicenew englandoff seasonsliders
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I stayed here in October for four days with my family and I was astounded to see that some people had rated this hotel as 'terrible'. My family arrived here after a long drive from Manhattan (classic Brits abroad, we listened to the travel agent who told us it was a mere two and a half to three hours. Nearly six hours after we left Manhattan, we arrived at the Wequassett just a little drained and irritable... thought i should warn NOT to make the same journey if you have been as poorly advised as us!). Our first pleasant surprise was the size and cleanliness of the pleasantly furnished rooms, pretty from the outside as well. We were helped by a lovely member of staff whom like the other staff was nothing but helpful and kind to us.
The location is stunning and the facilities and grounds are very impressive. I am aware that we were fortunate to be staying there off-season in late October - it was extremely quiet and so the staff were extremely attentive, even providing us with a free taxi service to the local restaurants in the hotel vehicle which was a brilliant service. The only downfall I would point out of this hotel is the restaurant - whilst it is nice enough, we thought the Atlantic 28 restaurant was a little fussy for what we were looking for and we much preferred to enjoy the slightly more basic restaurants of the local town of Chatham.
I would like to emphasise the helpfulness of the staff - we have never been made to feel so welcome in any hotel. They were attentive, sweet and even left us a card and a gift when it came time to leave, which was a lovely gesture. There is genuinely nothing I can find to fault about this hotel. Perhaps the experience would be impaired in the busy summer months when the staff are manically busy, but I struggle to believe that it would be anything less than very good.
The hotel is expensive, but worth every penny. Cape Cod is a magical place and the holiday was made even more special by this incredible hotel. Truly outstanding.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Emily B
Reviewed 17 January 2012

My wife and I stopped for a few nights at the Wequassett - we booked through Amex and were lucky enough to get a great upgrade on our rooms. Our room overlooked the bay, and with the windows open it was a stunning, beautiful view. The room was very nicely appointed and had a very high end feel, which we appreciated.

The technology in the room worked well - we don't watch too much TV, but we did enjoy watching some of the On-Demand Shark week episodes, as they included episodes on the immediate area, which was sort of interesting and fun.

The bathroom was very nice - it had a spa-like feel, with both a soaker bubble tub and a very large walk-in shower. The double sink was handy as well. As mentioned in previous reviews, the snacks and bar fridge are offered at cost - which was an excellent boon, although it took us half a day to figure out where the "booze tray" was in the cabinet.

The check-in experience was less than ideal - it was slow and we didn't get our room until very late - even though our check-in was supposed to be guaranteed at a specific time. This was the worst aspect of the experience - if they're not going to honor the booking, they should at least offer a round of drinks or some token.

Other than the above, the staff were generally pretty good. We enjoyed playing tennis (there's a court fee, which is annoying) and we found the tennis staff to be excellent. Next time, we'll definitely grab a lesson or two. The little boat excursions they have to see the seals and the island beach were both pretty good. The boat captains deserve a nice tip, because they are very pleasant and keep everyone safe.

The main pool is filled with families. This is totally fine, and likely the bread and butter of the place. That said, if you don't have a family - much better to swim at the adult only pool. This was deserted the whole time we were there and we really enjoyed swimming laps and enjoying the pool. A bar would have made it PERFECT.

Other than check-in - my only other gripe would be the quality of the food. It was less than par, especially when you're paying more than a few hundred dollars per night. We tried each of the dining options - they were all very similar. The service in the fine dining facility was a bit off - but I think that's to be expected, as it appears to be seasonal workers. I didn't get a chance to golf - I'm not sure how good their relationship is with the golf course, if they couldn't get me a tee time, as I don't know any private course that is ever fully booked. So I guess that was a bit disappointing too.

Overall, the quality of the room was excellent (i'll try and find some pics to post, they are stunning) and it has a country club feel - a bit reminiscent of the resort in Dirty Dancing, but perhaps a bit more upscale. With a few tweaks to service and food, this could be a top resort for families. Add a pool bar at the adult lap pool and maybe a nice lounge and it could work for couples too.

Room Tip: Based on some of the reviews here, there seem to be differences in rooms. Ours was newer, like a mini-cottage, with a fireplace, outdoor fire pit, and very nicely appointed. I'd try and book one of those, if available.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SksAdvntr
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I stayed here for 5 nights whilst attending a Presencing Institute program. The room was fabulous and the staff were very courteous & helpful. As a vegetarian I often find buffet food uninspiring, however the food was excellent. The local shuttle service was a real boon and the resort organised our onwards transportation seamlessly. Overall a top notch resort.

Room Tip: Ask for direct waterview - ours was side on.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank tropicaltraveller9
Reviewed 16 November 2011

My husband's firm had a partner/spouse retreat during a beautiful fall weekend. Everything was perfect. We stayed in the Signature Waterview rooms which were beautifully decorated with gorgeous views. The staff could not have been more attentive. Participants had the choice of playing tennis on beautifully-maintained Har-Tru courts with a gregarious and helpful pro, playing golf (we did not), or spa services (there is not a spa on the property). The food was superb. I can't wait to go back. Truly a gem!

Room Tip: We stayed in a Signature Waterview Room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank anniefl
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Our stay @ the resort was a perfect weekend retreat. Visiting the Cape in the "off-season" is actually our preference, and we had beautiful weather to enjoy the view and breeze from Pleasant Bay / Round Cove on our balcony. We stayed in a signature water view room, which was represented exactly as pictured on the resorts website. We were greeted by classical music and a pristine room on arrival. The furnishings were lovely and the high vaulted ceiling really gave a wonderful vacation feel. Our meal @ 28 Atlantic we both agreed was possibly the most delicious and memorable in many years! Though our stay was short in hours, as we were away for an overnight birthday retreat, it was so relaxing and rejuvenating...thanks to the gorgeous accommodations, beautiful view, and gracious staff. Thank you Wequassett for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: November 2011