“Perfect Cape Vacation Inn”

Winstead Inn and Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 8 Harwich Port B&B and Inns
“Perfect Cape Vacation Inn”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I have stayed at the Winstead properties several times over the last three years. I have stayed in most of the rooms at the Beach Resort, and this last trip stayed at the brand new portion of the Village Inn.

The Beach Resort rooms are thoughtfully remodeled and updated from the original historic property. Meaning, the bedrooms maintain their charm, but the bathrooms are modern with elegant figures and good lighting.

Not all of the Beach Resort rooms have a water view, but those that do are wonderful, real water views, not a glimpse over a parking lot and a mid level high rise hotel. Even if your room itself doesn't have a view, the beach is just steps outside your room, through the living room and out the porch door, so again, it is not as if you are traipsing for miles across asphalt and dingy hotel hallways. The Resort is so private, it is like having your own house on the beach with staff. (without the upkeep). My favorite rooms are #8 (well, that's everyone's) but also #6.

The private Winstead beach is wonderful, and stretches of beach on either side are almost as good as the Cape Cod National Seashore beaches. It is the feeling of the Cape that I grew up on (yes, I am a native, but have lived in California for the last 25 years), not covered in strip hotels and fast food chain places, but long serene stretches of beach between Wychmere and Allen's harbor, good for strolling and thinking.

This time, I was fortunate enough to stay in the just-opened part of the Village Inn in Harwich Center. While not on the water, like the Beach Resort, it is in a great spot to explore all of the Cape, plus you can also use the beach at the Beach property, so you get the best of both, should your vacation plans include more than just lounging on the beach. My room was on a par with any Ritz Carlton property I have stayed in.

The staff .... well, I can't say enough good things about the staff. When I mentioned I liked vanilla yoghurt, green grapes and granola, Doug brought them for me for the breakfast buffet.

And on this last trip, the staff was just incredible. My mother (who lived in Harwich) passed away suddenly, and Doug managed to squeeze me and family into available rooms even as I was flying in from California. I just said I needed rooms as I was boarding the plane... I arrived not knowing if I had a place to stay but he made it work, somehow. I would not recommend this by the way; I would normally make reservations as far in advance as possible. Especially...ask for room #8!

Greg also managed to arrange a place to hold an event for family and friends, on short notice, on Cape Cod, on a Saturday. He didn't just recommend caterers, Anne (front desk staff at the Village Inn) CALLED the caterers and got a great one who was already fully booked with three other events to agree to do my mother's celebration of life in two day's notice because,'it is Greg at the Winstead. Sure, I'll do it' for Greg.

Alas,Tripadvisor only lets me give it a maximum of five, but it meets and exceeds all expectations and deserves at least a ten. And I am pretty demanding about where I stay and service in general.

Go. Enjoy. And.... relax.

Ann Coulson Tighe

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Devon, CT
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We attended a wedding in June and stayed at the Inn which is away from the water. The Inn is beautiful, lovely rooms and bright breakfast room. They had been renovating it and some things weren't quite ready, but the staff was so helpful and responsive. Our friends stayed at the Beach Resort which had a perfect location, but rooms not as nice. There was even a convenience store within walking distance to the Inn.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Martinsville, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The stay here was wonderful! The staff was polite, helpful and the premises were immaculate. We enjoyed stepping out our door onto a private beach. They have just remodeled the inn and we heard the rooms were large and beautiful although we stayed at the beach. We would definitely return with our grandson next year.

Room Tip: It will cost you a bit more but if you can go for the beach front room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sharon M
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed there for 5 days. Staff very helpful. Location is good. Place is Clear and neat. Kids friendly. Price is ok. The only thing in that Cape Cod is huge, so pay attention in where you want to stay.

1 Thank SASFlavio
Wrentham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The perfect vacation or weekend getaway spot with the best of everything- a beautiful beach, immaculate grounds, sparkling clean pool, amazing hospitality, and gorgeous rooms! We have been coming here for years and it just keeps getting better!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My daughter and I were looking for a quick, relaxing getaway & got what we were looking for! Our first time at a B&B, our first time in Cape Cod and it was a great experience. Friendly staff, wonderful room and a gorgeous beach front. I would definitely return if I'm ever back up in the area.

Room Tip: Go online, all the rooms are viewable.
Southbridge
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My husband and I have been coming here for 11 years and it only seems to get better with each visit. The staff are receptive to every request, the breakfast is delicious and the Inn is spotless, and let's not forget the view. Our most favorite place.

• Stayed June 2014
Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa
Dan'l Webster Inn & Spa
Dan'l Webster Inn & Spa
#1 of 8 in Sandwich

Been to Winstead Inn and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!