I have stayed at the Winstead properties several times over the last three years. I have stayed in most of the rooms at the Beach Resort, and this last trip stayed at the brand new portion of the Village Inn.
The Beach Resort rooms are thoughtfully remodeled and updated from the original historic property. Meaning, the bedrooms maintain their charm, but the bathrooms are modern with elegant figures and good lighting.
Not all of the Beach Resort rooms have a water view, but those that do are wonderful, real water views, not a glimpse over a parking lot and a mid level high rise hotel. Even if your room itself doesn't have a view, the beach is just steps outside your room, through the living room and out the porch door, so again, it is not as if you are traipsing for miles across asphalt and dingy hotel hallways. The Resort is so private, it is like having your own house on the beach with staff. (without the upkeep). My favorite rooms are #8 (well, that's everyone's) but also #6.
The private Winstead beach is wonderful, and stretches of beach on either side are almost as good as the Cape Cod National Seashore beaches. It is the feeling of the Cape that I grew up on (yes, I am a native, but have lived in California for the last 25 years), not covered in strip hotels and fast food chain places, but long serene stretches of beach between Wychmere and Allen's harbor, good for strolling and thinking.
This time, I was fortunate enough to stay in the just-opened part of the Village Inn in Harwich Center. While not on the water, like the Beach Resort, it is in a great spot to explore all of the Cape, plus you can also use the beach at the Beach property, so you get the best of both, should your vacation plans include more than just lounging on the beach. My room was on a par with any Ritz Carlton property I have stayed in.
The staff .... well, I can't say enough good things about the staff. When I mentioned I liked vanilla yoghurt, green grapes and granola, Doug brought them for me for the breakfast buffet.
And on this last trip, the staff was just incredible. My mother (who lived in Harwich) passed away suddenly, and Doug managed to squeeze me and family into available rooms even as I was flying in from California. I just said I needed rooms as I was boarding the plane... I arrived not knowing if I had a place to stay but he made it work, somehow. I would not recommend this by the way; I would normally make reservations as far in advance as possible. Especially...ask for room #8!
Greg also managed to arrange a place to hold an event for family and friends, on short notice, on Cape Cod, on a Saturday. He didn't just recommend caterers, Anne (front desk staff at the Village Inn) CALLED the caterers and got a great one who was already fully booked with three other events to agree to do my mother's celebration of life in two day's notice because,'it is Greg at the Winstead. Sure, I'll do it' for Greg.
Alas,Tripadvisor only lets me give it a maximum of five, but it meets and exceeds all expectations and deserves at least a ten. And I am pretty demanding about where I stay and service in general.
Go. Enjoy. And.... relax.
Ann Coulson Tighe
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Distinguished, yet casual and unassuming. The Winstead Inn enjoys the serenity of Harwich Center. Just 100 yards to the Cape Cod Rail Trail and only 1.5 Miles to our private beach front Beach House. Our private vehicle will transport Winstead Inn guests to and from the Beach House. The Beach House enjoys its beach front location while being only a seven minute stroll to Harwich Port village. Enjoy the beach, restaurants, and shops without ever needing your car. Cape Cod at its best. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Winstead Inn and Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Winstead Inn And Beach Hotel Harwich Port
- Winstead Inn And Beach Resort Harwich Port, Massachusetts, United States