“Nice get-away” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clapp's Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harwich Port
Clapp's Guest House
Ranked #7 of 8 Harwich Port B&B and Inns
Chicopee
“Nice get-away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

We recently stayed at Clapp's Guest House in Harwich Port. Our rooms in the Main House were cozy and clean and the location was great. We walked to the beach, George's for pizza, Bonnatt's bakery for breakfast and walked around several shops in town. Thank you, Carl and Nancy. We'll be back.

Room Tip: They have a great web page which shows each room.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Raabbiitt, Owner at Clapp's Guest House, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind words and we look forward to your return.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

We stayed there for 3 nights and really liked that place. Yes, rooms are old, kind of durty and definatelly this is not the 5star hotel style. But that's OK, you are close to the ocean and that feels like 100 years old cheap never been remodeled vacation hous, but priced acordingly.
What is really ruin your time - the owners. Nancy especially. She is got a really unpredictable and unexceptable personality! She could storm into your room without any notes and scream without any reason. And that's what ruined our stay in there.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank TheBos2nTraveler
Otsego
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012 via mobile

This place is in a great location... But that's the only thing it has going for it! The rooms are dingy and dirty. The sheets were full of sand and makeup stains and none of the linens were complete sets. The linens were also super worn. The mattress was lumpy and I am sure at least 30 years old! The bathrooms had grime as well.

The old couple that own the inn are eccentric and odd. They have lots of rules and weird notes throughout the room as to what you can and cannot do. (ex. Take short showers, drink wine but don't spill, etc...)

Lastly the shared kitchen is unsightly. I would never cook there even if you paid me!

Stay away

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank Travelista3154
Raabbiitt, Owner at Clapp's Guest House, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
I am sad that showing acts of kindness and generosity and caring is considered being eccentric and odd. This reviewer arrived well before check-in time but we welcomed her and made early registration possible. Learning it was her mother's birthday, I made a special shell ornament for her. It was never acknowledged nor were the fresh garden vegetables we give our guests. Knowing the one night reservation was for two women I personally selected a feminine set of sheets which is a cream colored fitted sheet and pastel print top sheet. That's a set, not a mismatch!

Kindness, generosity and caring will always be the cornerstone of our relationship with our guests.
New England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

You will get your money's worth and more when you stay here. Great value and good location. You'll feel like you are in your own private summer cottage with period furnishings that are attractively older. Great flat screen TV. A return guest house for sure. Pictures on site show the attractiveness of the rooms.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Raabbiitt, Owner at Clapp's Guest House, responded to this review, 13 May 2012
Our home glows from the warmth of your comments. Thank you for appreciating what, where and who we are and for taking the time to write.
Boston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

Clapp's Guest House Review

We had a multitude of bad experiences surrounding this stay. It's unfortunate, because the location is excellent, and the property is homey and charming. Recently, we stayed for several nights one summer, and never reviewed because we didn't have the heart to. Well, after thinking about it some more, and remembering all the shenanigans, we got mad enough to finally tell our story.

A few days after booking our stay by phone, we called back and asked to change our date and upgrade to a room with a private shower. Nancy wouldn't allow it, and said people had been inquiring about our room (common shower room) and that she had turned away lodgers. She said it wouldn't be fair to her. Interestingly, we had checked her website and it indicated a room like ours (without a shower) available up until the very day we arrived. Later, we came to believe she did this as a business strategy: the rooms with showers are probably more popular, and she hoped to keep them available to entice other guests. It seemed our comfort and wishes took a back seat to Nancy's business acumen. Anyway, things weren't making too much sense, but we soldiered on, deciding that things would look up. It was our only vacation for the year, and we were determined to have a wonderful time!

The day we were to arrive I phoned (without identifying myself) and asked if the common kitchen had gas or electric cooking. I was hoping it was gas. Without hesitating she said 'Gas!' I said that was great, thanked her and put down the phone. When we arrived we found it was electric. I felt sick, and began to feel we were dealing with someone who was deceptive. While some units have their own kitchen, there was no other common kitchen.

That night there was no a/c. We had a horrible night sleep, and sweltered. In the morning we told Nancy. She acted very surprised, and said she would look into it. Later she told us 'the other guests were comfortable'. Really? Nice try, Nancy. Before going to bed that night and on rising early we checked the other three rooms. There were no other guests with us in the main house. Period. Now we have a confirmed pattern of lying. Nancy then told us she adjusted a vent in our room to rectify our situation.

The second night, it was the same deal - no a/c, even with the 'adjusted' vent. By this point I noticed a pattern with the HVAC. The a/c would come on in the morning and go off at night after sunset. It worked great during the day, but was non-existent at night.

On the third night it turned off again. Around 10 it was getting really stuffy, so we opened the windows. The vent never blew air again until morning. I awoke at 3:00AM and couldn't sleep for an hour - it was so bad - even with the windows open. Earlier, we had heard her tell some folks that were interested in the other rooms in the main house that if they got too cold (from all that a/c) to open their windows. Unbelievable.

I decided to confront her early in the AM. But, first, I went and checked to see if the central a/c compressor was running. It's behind the house, near the sliding glass doors. It was off, just as I thought. Now I was ready in case she tried to deceive me. I approached her and mentioned that we had no a/c at night. She very quickly declared that the a/c was on. Nice try, Nancy! I told her the compressor was off, and that I had just checked it. Well, let me tell you, she did not like getting caught like that one bit! She got very upset, and started wiggling and huffing for a moment. Then, she blamed me. Yes, that's right! She blamed me, stating 'You cannot keep your windows open!' Yeah, it's my fault, Nancy. What happened to 'If it gets too cold from all that a/c, just open your windows'? I guess it's all right to open your windows when you are too cold, but not if you are dying from heat stroke! That is so ridiculous. Then she marched upstairs. She hovered at the top of the stair for a moment. I believe she was pretending to check the thermostat in the hallway. Then she returned and explained to me why it was impossible for my problem to be legitimate. Wrong again, Nancy! When I left my room at 7:30 AM, I confirmed that there was no a/c coming from the vent in the hallway, or the rest of the vents in the main house. At this point I knew I was dealing with a kind of pathology. Nancy knew exactly what was going on, would lie about it, and then try to blame me for it. Realizing there was no way to appeal to her reason, much less her empathy, I walked away.

Anyway, I figured out what the scam is. It's all to try and save a few bucks on their electricity bill: They run the central a/c during the day that cools the downstairs as well. Why do they run it during the day, when it is most expensive to? Because that's where they spend their time! It's all about them, and what makes them most comfortable. BTW, they keep it really, really cold, which tells you how THEY like it. Now, when they retire for the night they no longer need it in the main house. You see, their bedroom is a little room added to the side of the main house. You can see it to the right of the driveway as you drive up. And guess what? They have their own wall unit in their bedroom! BTW, that unit is off during the day (when they are enjoying the main house) and on at night. Like I said, it's all about them. The a/c follows them where ever THEY may be and they turn it off everywhere else to save electricity. Sick, isn't it? BTW, saving electricity is ok, accept their website clearly states that the rooms are air conditioned. That's false advertising. They are a/c'd at their discretion - you will have no control - and your nights will be miserable, trust me. BTW, and interestingly, they provide a stand up fan in the room. Hmm, wonder what you would need that for if there is a/c... We turned it on in the middle of the night (when we were dying in a pool of our own sweat) and it made a wretched clicking noise. We had to turn it off and just lay there awake. I can't believe what these guys put us through. They don't care about anyone but themselves.

Interestingly, someone finally came to join us in the main house on the second floor. She took the room next to us. I could not wait to speak to her in the morning! Before she left, I asked her about her experience with the a/c. She said it went off shortly after she retired, and that it got so hot she woke up, and had to get out of bed to open the windows. I asked her if she expected a/c. She said 'Yes. In fact I was told that if it got too cold, to just open the windows.' Hah! The exact same load of poo Nancy told us, and every other guest that came. Nancy's is stunningly clever in a devious way, and good at making you feel like you are the nut, when you are actually dealing with... So, there you have it. Not a one room anomaly, but two rooms with the exact same story.

There are other gripes, too. My room was so dirty and nasty, I nearly took photos of it to post online. But, I felt bad for 'those two poor older folks' and decided not to. Well, you know, they aren't too old to con you and take your money, now are they? I'll describe it for you: the mirror was very dirty, the sink was dirty, the chrome stained with toothpaste, the toilet surround was dusty and had cobwebs everywhere. The bed was fine, and linens clean. The room is so cute, that at first you don't notice the problems. Then when you go to use the sink/toilet, you are like 'OMG!'.

Also, you should know the common kitchen is a shack in the back yard, with no sink. Yes – a literal shack. It's so filthy-dirty, you may not be able to bring yourself to use it. We just decided to 'grin and bear it'. The sink is outside the shack, and was filled with swill. When my wife went to use it, she gagged and nearly barfed. BTW, I discovered why they have an issue with cleanliness. Their cleaner is their grandson! Without being obvious, my wife and I watched him clean one morning for about 2 or 3 minutes. We joked about it the rest of the day. He walked around with a crevice tool attached to a wand, and very half-heartedly poked it here and there. It was as if he were poking a sleeping giant. He clearly had absolutely no idea what he was doing, and no interest in it. Let me put it to you another way: if you hired him to clean your house, it would be the last time he ever did, and you would consider stopping payment on any check you issued.

On our final night, I took revenge, and adjusted the thermostat in the hallway so the a/c would stay on all night. It worked fine, and cooled the room nicely. Finally, a night of sleep! Don't be fooled by any response from Nancy like 'Oh, my, I must not have had the thermostat adjusted properly for those poor souls'. Baloney. It was set on a timer to intentionally go off at night and on in the morning. I know. I checked it :-) BTW, anyone with a brain truly interested in trouble shooting an HVAC issue for a guest would check the thermostat first. She didn't. She checked the 'vent' and the 'windows' and always tried to find other problems to blame it on (including me). Before we left, I had the pleasure of telling Carl and Nancy that their thermostat was not set properly, and that I 'fixed it' last night. I stated it as if I had finally discovered their problem, and had fixed it. Do you think they thanked me? They both became visibly agitated, and Carl shocked me with some very harsh words. They had no questions about our suffering, what we had discovered, or how we had resolved it. Guys, this shows they know exactly what they are doing, and get very angry when you catch them on it. I have to admit, it really shook me up. Imagine visiting your grandparents, who you have some sincere words for, and they snap at you. It was scary!

Have you ever dealt with really little children who lie about everything? Well, imagine that, plus the temper and reasonableness of those same children, but in your grandparents form, and you have a good description of Carl and Nancy. It's sad, but true. I noticed Nancy's response to the other guest who complained about their experience with dirtiness, outdatedness and deception. Nancy wondered why they 'spent two days enjoying the place, going to the beach, relaxing in the sunny yard while the baby napped, cooking out on the barbecue, visiting with us and the other guests.' It's called trying to make the best of it, Nancy! People work so hard for their money, saving up for a place to enjoy, then they take time off from work and make all the arrangements. In fact, it may be the only shot at a vacation they get for the whole year. How sad it is that unscrupulous people can sleep at night in their A/C’d comfort while robbing you and I of our precious holiday joy.

This place is tempting because of it's location and price. It's inexpensive compared to other B&Bs. You get what you pay for friend, you normally do!!!

P.S. if you are wondering why some other travelers had great experience, consider two things: the time of year they travelled (did they need A/C?) and if they stayed in the main house or the detached quarters. I imagine the detached quarters would offer independent control over the HVAC.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
11 Thank bigfastcar
Raabbiitt, Owner at Clapp's Guest House, responded to this review, 19 February 2012
Having welcomed travelers from all over the world for over 50 years we realize we can not please all of our guests all of the time. We benefit from constructive criticism but this writer crossed the line when making personal comments about our family. It was uncalled for to ridicule our young grandson who wanted to help and who blessed us with his presence. I cannot believe TripAdvisor would publish a review under such a slanderous tag line. For the record: both houses and all rooms have AC; the Efficiency Suite has a gas stove; guests have access to an electric hot plate in the picnic area; we do not lie.
Hawthorne, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2010

We have been going to Clapps for several years now and the thing that stands out is that it is truly a home away from home. The rooms are very quaint and comfortable. The grounds are beautiful and the location is excellent. The owners are a lovely couple who couldn't make their guests feel more welcome or at home. The beach is very close as are restaurants, stores and other attractions, but when on the property, you would never know it, because it is very quiet and secluded. My favorite thing is that there is a church nearby that plays music on the bells and it is just beautful! New England at its best...

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Raabbiitt, Owner at Clapp's Guest House, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
You put a song in our hearts.
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

I just returned from Clapp's Guest House in Harwich Port and was absolutely thrilled with all aspects of our trip. My husband and I were there for two nights celebrating our one-year anniversary, and the guest house exceeded our expectations. We stayed in the main house (shared with the proprietors) in room #1, which has a private toilet and sink, and a shared shower. Because it's a guest house, the feel is more like staying with (friendly) relatives than staying at a hotel or even a B&B. If you're comfortable with that kind of feel, this is the place for you.

The accommodations were clean, quaint, and comfortable - certainly old-fashioned and not over-large, but very charming and perfectly suited to our needs. The garden and huge backyard are just absolutely beautiful - quiet, relaxing, easy - and there is a summer kitchen, though we didn't use it. Harwich Port is a great little town, and it takes less than a minute to walk to the shops and (yummy) restaurants there from Clapp's, plus another few minutes to get to the beach, which is clean, lovely, and uncrowded. It's about a mile from the bike trail, too - so we had great access to everything we were looking for.

The hospitality is fantastic, too. Nancy is warm, welcoming, friendly, and helpful. We happened to tell her that it was our anniversary the night we arrived, and when we got back from breakfast the next morning, she had left us a beautiful rose and a custom-made shell ornament that we'll always treasure. I mean, where else can you get that?

We picked Clapp's somewhat randomly online, attracted by the inexpensive rooms. We couldn't believe how we lucked out. It was everything we were looking for in a simple, relaxing, easy weekend escape. We'd definitely go back. Thank you, Nancy and Carl!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JMPH1
Thank you for your gracious remarks.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harwich Port
#4 of 8 in Harwich Port
Handkerchief Shoals Inn
Handkerchief Shoals Inn
#1 of 2 in South Harwich

Been to Clapp's Guest House? Share your experiences!