“Fun For The Whole Family!”

Monomoy Island Excursions
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The seals of Monomoy are a rare treat seen close up from the shallow drafting seal watch vessel Perserverance. You will glide though narrow channels and into isolated lagoons where hundreds, sometimes thousands of Gray Seals swim and lay out along the shore. And you will spy sea birds and once in a while, the shadow of a great white shark passes by. Some of the best ocean fun adventure for your family.
New Vernon, New Jersey
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Fun For The Whole Family!”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

To entertain out of town family and do something special for the kids ( ages 5-9) we decided to book the Monomoy Island Excusions seal cruise. Remember you have to by the tickets across the street and the boat The Preserverance is docked behind Brax Restaurant. Visit the rest room beforehand as there are no facilities on the boat.
The boat is spotlessly clean, wide and there are comfortable padded seats in the front and back. The Captain makes the ride as smooth as possible, but there was a slight chop as we headed to Monomoy Island. Our guide, Ed, was a knowledgeable local and gave us all the highlights of the landmarks and the area we were in. The view is spectacular on the ride out. We took a short detour into Stage Harbor to see the beautiful scenery, then we were on our way to the seals! There is a new break in the sandbar due to Hurricane Sandy and the area was full of seals in the water feeding and playing. They kept popping their heads out to check us out. Ed was disappointed their were none sunning on the land, so we turned the corner and scooted into the Atlantic Ocean. A short distance up island there was what Ed called and enormous "Haul Out," which means that almost a 1,000 Gray Seals were sunning, sleeping, playing and fighting right on shore. What a sight! Ed was very informative about all things seal and the Chatham Monomoy area. He answered all question with enthusiasm and valuable information.
There a few Cape Cod attractions that once you do them, you never have to go back again. Not so with the Monomoy Island Excursions! This is a trip that brings out the kid in all of us. Fresh air, salty breezes, an ever changing vista of ocean, sky and seals in their natural habitat. What a great time we all had.

Visited May 2013
4 Thank Auntbunny

Canton, Michigan
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Not a good experience”
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Sad to write this review, but just need to warn others of what to expect. We wanted to take the family on one of the seal cruises on Nantucket Sound. We looked at a Cape Cod guide book that can be found all over in the Cape and saw an ad for three different businesses all offering seal cruises. One seemd too far to drive to from our location. We call the closest one to us, which was Monomoy Island Excursions. I asked them to tell me about their cruise and the person said "They don't go to Monomoy because it is too rough and the seals have move in. They go to Stage Harbor". I asked them to repeat the name of the Harbor to me. They told me the times they had available, the pricing and I thanked them for the information. We looked on a map and decided that we were glad that they were not going out to Monomoy as that would have taken a bit of time to get too which would mean less time to see the seals. We also liked that they were going to Stage Harbor as it was near Chatham and we had been to Chatham the night before and could see a lot of seals out in the water. Great...they were going to where we knew the seals would be. Reality was a different story. Instead of a seal cruise, this cruise was about going to a small boat basin to look at a birds nest and a bird, being shown a house that was for sale of 14.5 million, and then heading out to Monomoy isand. We were so surprised when they went there when we were told they would not. There were some seals out in that area spread out all over the place. The naturalist on board kept saying over and over that the seals were fewer recently and had been scattered about also. You could see their heads once in a while. I'm guessing that we stayed in the area around 15 minutes or so and then left. The next place turned out to be Stage Harber. Great, now we were going to get closer to the seals and see more of them that the few we just saw. We cruised into the Harbor and the naturalist described the lighthouse. We were barely past the mouth of the harbor when the boat turned around and headed back out. They didn't go to where the seals were. Out of the harbor the naturalist showed us where Monomoy once connected to the other land and then showed us a fishing set up with sticks and nets. Then, we headed back to the harbor where the boat docked. Nice size boat, comfortable, fast on the water, nice views of the shores. Unfortunately, not what we were told the seal cruise would be. I called to the office the next day to talk to someone about it. The person kept trying to tell me about what their brochuere says and how it describes how they tour around and that the seals are just a part of the cruise, a brochere that we never saw. She asked me if I had talked to the captain and I said no. After a bit a back and forth on this, she finally said that they don't know where the captain is going to go and that she wished people would just talk to the captain because now this would take more of her time and more of mine. She said she would have the captain call me. A week later, I called back. Now the response I got from someone else on the phone was describing to me they always cruise around to other places, but that they don't really know where the captain goes. No interest in trying to understand that no matter what their brochere says or their website, I did not see them and went by what we were told by the person on the phone when we called to find out what their seal cruise was. Both frustrated she said she would have the captains wife call me. The next day, I got a call from a woman, though I don't know who she was. I tried to describe the issue to her and she kept saying over and over that they always describe to people that they go to many places and not to just where the seals are. I kept trying to tell her that this is not what was described to us, but she didn't seem to want to hear it. I honestly felt like she was telling me I was lying and when I said this to her, her response was yes. Unbelievable! She again kept telling me that they always tell people they go to many places. She also said that in the office they don't know where the captain is going to go. Again, a frustrating call as instead of trying to listen to the customer and understand the description of what I was told the seal cruise was, instead it was another " this is what we do, we don't know where the captain goes...and everyone loves us". To all three people I had tried to tell them that I did not feel that we should pay the full amount as the cruise was not what was described and sold to me. I wasn't even looking for a full refund, but I did feel like some sort of amount credited back was in order. On the last call, the woman said she would talk to the captain, she had my number and hung up. Not even a good bye. I've waited for a call, but still no contact. They must look at it as that I was lying, how dare I question or complain, and at this point, maybe they just look at it as we were just another tourist, we have your money, so too bad. So...if you want to cruise around then maybe this is for you. If you want to see the seals, use someone else. If you want someone who will care about you as a person, as a customer, use someone else. This was our first time to the Cape and this cruise is a bad memory. When we talk about the trip, my family refers to it negatively, hardly any seals and just a cruise around. So...it is not just me that was disappointed, everyone came to the same opinion independently. If Monomoy had listened to me as a customer, and cared about who we felt about our trip, I would not be writing this review. The cruise was disappointing, but the treatment by those in the office has been the worst of it all. Wake up Monomoy...Your customers are your business and you should care for them both during the cruise as well as after. Word of mouth is just as valuable a form of advertising as the ad you run in the guides. What would have been about a rating of a 3 out of 5 from us and now become a one. How sad...

Visited August 2012
8 Thank kc8175
Cortland, New York
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Tour an okay time”
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Took Seal crusise tour out of Harwichport. Nice boat, decent guide, but the closest one actually gets to seals is 20 to 30 yards. Unlike the pictures in the borchures, the boat does not approach any seal-filled beaches. The seals just randomly pop up in the water and the captain stops the boat and the passengers look at seals out and about. Also includes tours of three harbors in the area and some inromation on shore birds. Not a bad two hours on the water all in all, but you won't get close of vistas of lolling seals.

Visited September 2011