“A heavenly experience!”

Ranked #7 of 25 Restaurants in Harwich Port
Price range: US$25 - US$50
Cuisines: French, Fusion
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Description: Renowned Local Chef Christian Schultz has reinvented L'Alouette as a comfortable, elegant restaurant serving Global Cuisine with fresh local ingredients. L'Alouette features and extensive menu and offers a $27 3 course prix fixe menu from mid October until May.
RI
“A heavenly experience!”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My husband and I were visiting Chatham for his 50th birthday celebration. We wanted at least one night out to be upscale and special. L'Alouette did not disappoint. We had reservations and I'm glad...it was quite crowded even for a Tuesday night and I can understand why. Our hostess was lovely and seated us at a romantic table in a beautiful room. Everything from the bread and butter to the appetizers and dinner was top notch. I started with the escargot which was tender and flavorful while my husband had the shrimp and sausage gumbo. His was spicy and delicious. We both had a garden salad with a yummy raspberry vinegar dressing. My husband had the "Sea of Love" which is lobster (large claws), scallops and shrimp over linguine. He loved it and I tried it and liked it as well. I had the bouillabaisse and it was to die for! Mussels, littlenecks, scallops, shrimp (the largest shrimp I have seen in a dish in quite some time and each had a nice "snap" to them) and the sauce was just heavenly. I found the prices to be quite reasonable for what you are getting. We were full and happy by the time we left. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about this restaurant and I know I will return here the next time I'm on the Cape. Thank you L'Alouette for a memorable evening.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank HappyRI

New York
“Cozy french restaurant with very good food”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Dined with friends, who invited us for a late dinner. Service was excellent. Staff were gracious and down to earth. Portions are average size, but what you get tastes fantastic. A very good wine list as well. A bit pricey, but the food and service more than justify the price. Recently changed hands I've been told. We will see if the quality of food and service continues,

• Visited September 2013
New York
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I used to eat here years ago and had memorably good meals. Unfortunately our meal on July 22 was memorable, but not for the good. It was actually the worst meal we had on the Cape. I wanted so much to love this place as much as I used to. No shot.

The Good: It's nice looking inside. Everyone was very friendly. The service was very good and well-timed. The noise level is low and it's easy to have a conversation.

The Bad: the food, with one exception, which was my appetizer. I had Clams Christian. Very good stuffed baked clams. My husband had the bisque, which is a combo of lobster, scallops and shrimp. The texture was exquisite but the taste was not. I had sole francaise, which came with jasmine rice, carrots and asparagus. There was a beurre blanc on the fish. The vegetables were good. The fish reminded me of nursing home food and the rice was dried out and crusty on the top. My husband had the veal saltimbocca. It was covered in cheese and came with a huge chunk of potato gratin that was really salty and way too heavy as an accompaniment. He hated it. It was a step up from nursing home food; it reminded me of the faux French food you'll find in a restaurant that doesn't really know what it is doing. We didn't bother with dessert, but my husband had coffee and reported that it was good.

The Ugly: the prices. I will happily pay for a good meal. A $30+ price tag for an entree doesn't scare me at all - as long as the food is good. Here, the price just adds insult to injury.

We won't return.

1 Thank travelgirl12345
boston
“Missing the old L'Alouette”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We had dined at the previous owner's L'Alouette at least 4 times in the past 4 years and were very disappointed when we went back a couple of weeks ago. The decor hasn't changed much except for a piece of art here or there. The menu is no longer French and seemed to have no real theme to it. The appetizers were mediocre- the baked oysters the best of the bunch. The salad was overly dressed and too vinegary. I ordered the special "cajun spice swordfish" which had NO spice or salt and pepper on it. When I asked the waitress about it, she brought it to the kitchen and they said they forgot to put the spice on it. With these prices and attempting to be a serious dining establishment thats ridiculous. After 15 minutes I got a new piece with some rather insipid spices on it while my husband had long ago finished his entree. He had a veal saltimbocca dish which was all right but definitely a rich presentation. With it came a huge mound of rich potatoes au gratin which absolutely did not go with the veal preparation. A light pasta, rice or even roasted potato and some greens would have been much better. We left feeling very disappointed and sad to have lost an old Cape favorite.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank 4fortheroad
Boston, Massachusetts
“A wonderfully sophisticated yet friendly culinary experience!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I ate at L'Alouette on 7/26/14 with another couple and had an absolutely incredible culinary experience. The service was impeccable, from the hostess, to the bartender, to our waitress, they were all wonderful. They were so friendly and frequently checked on our needs. The food was well prepared, beautifully plated and tasted unbelievable. I had the Duck du Jour, a boneless half breast. It was cooked to perfection, and the reduction sauce of peach and pink peppercorn was a mouthful of savory flavors. My wife had veal saltimbocca, which was also cooked to perfection and was delicious. One of the other two in our party had swordfish and the other a halibut special, which were spectacular. Our appetizers were also incredible. I had lump crab, my wife had spinach salad and we shared some lobster fritters. We would highly recommend L'Alouette to anyone wishing for a wonderfully sophisticated yet friendly culinary experience. It was that good!

Visited July 2014