“Disappointing fried clams”

George's Place Fish Market
Ranked #10 of 28 Restaurants in Harwich Port
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Grill
Description: Owners Scott and Linda Kelley of Chatham and their staff are "local people providing local seafood!" We offer classic seafood meals, including lobster rolls, baked stuffed lobsters, and chowders. Our homemade items can be called in and made to order. Picnic outside seating
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Over the years, we have been to George's every time we have visited the Cape. We have never been disappointed until this recent visit a few days ago on Sunday, September 15th.

There were 4 employees and one other customer in the fish market. It appeared that one man was helping that customer while the other young man and two young women were engaged in conversation. It took several minutes before anyone came over to me to get my order. I ordered a Monomoy fried clam platter with cole slaw and fries from the young man. The clams were fried by one of the young women and placed on the paper plate on the counter and sat there for a few minutes while the 3 conversed about people waiting and the young man said no one was waiting. Yes, I was! Finally the fries were cooked by the same young woman and the platter assembled.

Somewhere in the process, the fries were over salted. This was not discovered until I had left the shop to eat the clams. Not only were the fries too salty, the clams were sloppily battered, undercooked and also salty. The batter was not on the clams at all. It seemed that it slipped off every clam and I was left with a sloppy, watery, undercooked mess. Needless to say, I did not eat the meal and threw it out.

I did call when I got back to the inn and spoke to one of the young women who happened to take my call. She said she would let the cook know. Perhaps she was the cook. I hope she would let the owner know as well.

A very disappointing experience!

3  Thank Marianna2
saskuk, Owner at George's Place Fish Market, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2015

Marianna,
Thank you for taking the time to review our business. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that you did not receieve acceptable fried clams and service from our staff.

I wanted to personaly let you know we have addressed the customer service issues with the particaular emplyees invovled in your last visit.

If you come back to our restaurant I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly, so please ask for me. We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.

Linda Kelley

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Our second visit.
Superb fried scallops, and clams. Crispy fries, and an interesting lobster roll on a croissant (lobster was great but I prefer the traditional roll).
We took ours to the nearby beach - fresh seafood with the sea and sand - perfect!
A great place to buy whole lobsters, and a variety of other fresh raw seafood too.

1  Thank Simonukusa
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We visited George's numerous times during our visit in Harwich. The swordfish was delicious (we had them cook it for us). We also got the crab cakes, fish fry and lobster. All were delicious. The only thing I wasn't a huge fan of was the clam chowder. The food was always hot and ready right when they said it would be. The prices were very reasonable too. We will definitely be visiting George's again next summer.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

We have rented on the Cape every summer for the past 10+ years and always go to George's for our fish. It does not matter what you want to eat, Haddock, Scallops, Swordfish... you cannot go wrong. Forget the local supermarkets - just get your fish here!

1  Thank songbirdnaples
Reviewed 29 August 2013

George's consistently offers great fresh fish every day. I have never been disappointed with anything I have purchased here. You can get fresh fish, cooked food, chowder, etc. Great place !

2  Thank Pam D