“Confusion by reviewers, this was turned into 127 Elm, now the Grill N Chill”
Review of Smithsonian

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Smithsonian
Ranked #4 of 9 Restaurants in Hatfield
Reviewed 31 December 2012

The Smithsonian has relocated to a mile away on Route 5 and is a 'chowder house' and bakery and houses a kitchen that also offers catering off site. This is still Peter Langlois' food. The old location, at 127 Elm St. has some of Peter's staff, even doing the cooking, but they have tweaked the menu a bit. The address of 127 Elm had a short lived run in 2010-2011 using the address as the business name. There was an empty period until the end of May 2012 when it opened as the now named: Grill N Chill.
We visited on 6/1/12
The food was good, the service a bit slow, like the time it took to get the appetizer, then the meal, and we sat in the 'waiting area' to eat sooner, ( but they need to speed it up to turn tables) and I was surprised there was no potatoes or bread with my $15 smaller cut 10 oz. prime rib. The salad was good, with nice huge croutons (of corn muffin?), but they should double the dressing size. The nacho appetizer was loaded with all kinds of good stuff. The owner was chatting, but with people he knew already, where he should have gone around welcoming the newbies...overall: I think they'll do fine. Also: $2.50 for iced tea? The menu said $2.25 and no refill? Soda was $2 with 1 refill. My menu had no dinner specials, only lunch specials, so I read my daughter Nicole's menu, and what are the bags of Hershey's Kisses for? I thought in place of an after dinner mint, but our waitress (cute, long dark hair, nametags might be nice) never offered us any, and I was scared to ask her for a kiss...being there with my wife on our 27th Wedding Anniversary and all....
June 1 at 8:54pm ·
The response to their facebook comment above:
Thank You for your comments. Some of the comments i think you understand how busy we were last night with the wait time. All dinners always come with a potato and vegetable and dinner rolls, with the exception of Pasta dishes only get a dinner roll. Sorry you weren't served any, I wish you told your server. If there is a misprint on the drinks, we will correct that. There is a free refill on soda AND Iced teas. Name tags are something we have been working on.
So the place is filled with regulars, runs specials, such as polish food night on Thursday, and seems to be handling the tough economical climate.

1  Thank 5inavan

Reviewed 21 November 2012

My expectations were not unreasonable; maybe the Smithsonion just had a bad day.
The place is pretty bare bones, but neat and clean. Counter service with half a dozen small tables - but during my visit most of the business appeared to be for take-out.
A nice variety of homemade soups and chowders served in Styrofoam cups, a limited selection of sandwiches, some daily specials and giant popovers.
I ordered a $6.95 bowl of seafood chowder (cups for $4.95, soups a buck or two cheaper) and a popover.
The counterman emptied the pot for my bowl. I should've realized it, but that probably caused the chowder to transform from seafood to potato. The liquid was tasty, but it was completely overwhelmed by the amount of potatoes. There were two small pieces of seafood in the bowl, but they didn't stand a chance. What a disappointment.
The popover was ok, but it too was not great, having spent just a touch too much time in the oven; the innards were fine, but the popover's dark skin had a bitter, burnt taste.
The staff were all pleasant, tables were cleaned between customers and I really want to visit this place again to give it a second chance. The problem is that it's not that close-by and it's really not worth going out of the way unless the food is awesome - we'll see when and if I get there.

1  Thank RCEWP56
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Need to feed an office one day and this place was recommended. Great recommendation, pop overs fresh and stuff with a variety of options, ranging from: pull pork to lobster. The soups yummy and homemade. Grab a cupcake for dessert : a must. Great lunch from start to finish. Service fast, friendly and efficient .

2  Thank Susanslcm
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I had heard complimentary rumblings about the old Smithsonian when it was located in the main part of Hatfield, MA. I was surprised to find a new version of it right outside of Northampton on routes 5/10. The place serves as a quick filling station for your tummy with several selections of homemade soups. Their signature dish seems to be the seafood chowder. I ordered a bowl and it was served piping hot in a styrofoam container. The chowder was thick, full of diced potatoes and although my serving wasn't loaded with seafood...the small bites I had were tender and savory.

Each of us sampled a different soup: lobster bisque, cream of broccoli, and Italian chicken with noodles. The gentlemen behind the counter were helpful and friendly. There were about 4 tables in the dining area and it looks as if they are building an extension in the coming weeks. Coffee selection was excellent as was the enormous popover we ordered.

I'll be back when I'm in the area and yearning for some hearty soups.

2  Thank ValleyVoyagerMangia
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Nice new restaurant. Creative soups all well done and nice and hot!
Popovers are a must.