“More a Hostel than a Hotel”

Best Western Merrimack Valley
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Haverhill
GreenLeadersBronze level
Evesham, United Kingdom
“More a Hostel than a Hotel”
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We stayed 3 nights here. VERY below par for a BW. I had queried previous reviews with the manager Mr Kerrigan, but was reassured by his reply. My post-visit questions response from him indicate that they have "long term families", we met some, very nice well dressed children with their carers and less well attired individuals of both sexes, some of whom quite frankly smelled less than sweet. If you decide to stay and go for breakfast don't go early. We were always left wondering what the state was of the person who had slept in our room before us, or before them!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are probably better
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Candice2205
BWMV, General Manager at Best Western Merrimack Valley, responded to this review, 17 October 2011
Thank you for contacting me directly prior to and subsequent to your stay with us. I appreciate hearing from our guests regarding their stay and the areas that they feel we do well but also can improve upon. I am sorry that your experience at breakfast was not up to your standard, and we are continually working to improve our operations. We do have guests stay with us for extended periods of time, but we maintain a high standard of cleanliness and maintenance of our rooms and common areas. Unfortunately, we cannot control the personal hygiene of guests.

Steven Kerrigan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 October 2011

By reading past reviews, I can only assume that people are reviewing two different places. We stayed at The Best Western Plus Merrimack Valley last month, and as we were travelling with a dog, made advance reservations. Now dogs and their travelling companions seem to be put in the "D" block at the back. The hallway smelled, the pillows smelled, and there was a lot of unattractive activity from what seems to be more or less permanent residents. My husband encountered what he thought was a drug deal in the parking lot when he was giving the dog her good-night walk. The security staff were kept busy cleaning up intentional messes near the back entrance. On the up side, the staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. Maybe there should be a warning that, if you're travelling with a pet, do NOT stay here.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the D block.
1 Thank Donna P
BWMV, General Manager at Best Western Merrimack Valley, responded to this review, 6 October 2011
Dear Guest,

We are glad to be one of only pet-friendly hotels in our immediate area. We have certain rooms specifically designated for guests with pets which many travelers find helpful in not having to leave their pets behind. I’m glad you found the staff extremely pleasant and helpful. They are always willing to help you out with anything during your stay. Did you contact them about your concerns? If not, please email me so I can help out with anything unresolved – steve@bwmerrimackvalley.com. We also offer night security watch for our guests’ safety that will respond to any reported disturbance or concern. Please contact them or the front desk with any questions. I can assure you of our constant striving for improvement and offering convenient amenities to our guests at a competitive rate.

Steve Kerrigan

Travellers are raving about these Haverhill hotels

Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed 20 September 2011

This was the 2nd night to our (my son and I) trip. He is 15 and does not mention the amenities much although when we checked in on Saturday night he was impressed with the room and how clean it was. The hallways were clean and the rooms smelled fresh. The windows open which is nice (room 216). Check out time is at 12, which is nice compared to the 11 at most hotels. I have stayed at several best westerns in the area, and I would stay in here over most even though the drive is longer to the places I need to go. Breakfast is good, the rooms is a little small for the amount of people that were there, but for a free amenity it is nice. I would suggest getting some flavored cream for the coffee most other hotels offer it. We went to the pool at 9:30PM on Saturday night and there were 4 kids in the pool screaming and yelling and jumping in and out of pool and splashing, I got in and quickly got out, decided to go to the hot tub, there was a single girl in there (about 17 maybe) blasting her ipod and talking on phone, I am assuming she was the supervision for the kids! (NOT) There was a employee in the pool area doing the water test although he seemed to be oblivious to everything going on around him. My son and I stayed 10 minutes and went back to our room. We stayed at another Best Western in the area and from 9-10 (or 11) it was adults only in the pool area this is a wonderful idea.

Hanna has been there all 3 times I have stayed and is a wonderful and kind associate. About 1 hour after we checked in she called to see if everything was ok and if we needed anything, although we were not there she did leave a message which was a nice touch. We had a great night staying here and my son has informed me when we come to the area again this is where we should stay!

1 Thank Jessica H
BWMV, General Manager at Best Western Merrimack Valley, responded to this review, 23 September 2011
Dear wuggie774,

I greatly appreciate your feedback on your recent stay with us. I’m glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay and that your family wants to return! You have a couple of valuable suggestions for our hotel and I appreciate this. We are always striving to give our guests the best experience possible. Thanks again for staying with us and for letting us know about it here. We hope we have the pleasure of hosting you and your family again soon.

Take care,

Wallingford
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This is list as a Best Western Plus hotel, I have no idea why it is. The hotel's condition is average.

Penfield, New York
Reviewed 10 August 2011

our single room had all the things we needed and more. It was very clean, smelled good, pretty, and great bed. second floor w/o elevator. But stairs easy to climb. ANd GREAT rate.
Typical breakfast served in a large rrom set apart for this not squashed in some where. Opened at 6 AM.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
BWMV, General Manager at Best Western Merrimack Valley, responded to this review, 16 August 2011
Dear Michaelfox1964,

So glad to hear you felt our hotel was the best place you stayed during your vacation! Your feedback means a lot and we are very happy to hear your stay was so enjoyable. We appreciate you telling us about it here and hope you will share this experience with your friends as well. Thanks again and we hope you will be able to stay with us again soon!

loveslakes
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Room was two queens with fridge/microwave and adequate for our needs. we were on ground floor front (interior access) and could hear the people walking around upstairs and kids playing on back lawn which was large. Breakfast was adequate but with such a large hotel it was very crowded and ran out of things or had back-ups at the toaster and wafflemaker. Seating was virtually all round tables of two some of which were in the hall. Someone brought their dog to breakfast but at least stayed in the hall. Nothing memorable but adequate. Hallways are dark and un-airconditioned, although carpeting and treatments look fairly new, hotel styling is dated.

Room Tip: Rear facing rooms may be quieter front faces parking lot.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank loveslakes
Dear PembrokeMaine,

I greatly appreciate your feedback here on our TripAdvisor page. We are glad to be a large enough hotel to host so many great guests at once in our town. Since our breakfast is free, it certainly is a popular amenity for our hotel. We hope you will stay with us again and we will try and put you on a higher floor, or in a different section of the hotel. If you would like to discuss any further feedback, feel free to email me at steve@bwmerrimackvalley.com. Thanks again for giving us feedback and hope to see you again!

Pitman, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 July 2011

While travelling in New England visting relatives, my sister and I needed a nice, but reasonably priced, hotel in the northern suburbs of Boston for a one-night stay. I didn't spend much time searching online, just needed something on short notice. I booked a double queen room, including breakfast, for $119. The room was clean, roomy and nicely decorated and the bathroom was updated. The beds were comfortable, with good quality linens and decent pillows. Also, despite the fact that the hotel seemed to be pretty full and there were a lot of families with children, the room was very quiet, apparently well sound-proofed. The complimentary breakfast was typical of chain hotels - bagels, muffins, toast, waffles (waffle machine), cereal, fruit. Not great, but enough to get you going for the day. When going through the same area on our way home a few days later, we decided to stay here again rather than take a chance on a different hotel. They didn't have any rooms with two beds available, so we took a king room, but it was actually even nicer that that the double queen room. We didn't have time to check out the pool or hot tub. I would stay here again and recommend it to others as a good choice for a stopover.

Room Tip: There was construction going on across the road from the hotel. Sections B abnd D are toward the ba...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
BWMV, General Manager at Best Western Merrimack Valley, responded to this review, 2 August 2011
Dear pinetree817,

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at out hotel and that you had such a great experience. Receiving feedback from our guests is always welcome and we’re very glad to receive a review like yours. We are happy that you have stayed with us multiple times and look forward to seeing you again soon! We hope on your next stay you will stay for a couple nights so you can experience the pool and other amenities we offer. Have a great summer!

Steve Kerrigan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haverhill
Hampton Inn Haverhill
#1 of 4 in Salem
Fairfield Inn Amesbury
Fairfield Inn Amesbury
#2 of 2 in Amesbury

Been to Best Western Merrimack Valley? Share your experiences!