“Hauntingly Pleasant”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Holyoke
East Setauket
“Hauntingly Pleasant”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

When my gf told me we were staying at the D Hotel, I asked couldn't she find a room at the C or perhaps B? After a giggle, we settled into our room after a long trip from long island. Several unexplained things happened throughout our visit, but we didn't speak of them until we were home. All 3 of us, including my gf's 17 year old son were excited to blurt what their take was on what occurred that night. I must add upfront that none of us ever felt threatened, nor scared, just knew that something supernatural had occurred. It wasn't until after we spoke our minds on long island, did i google Holyoke and find that there had been several unexplained events. Even more intrigued, we have vowed to return to the D Hotel for more unsettling fun.

Without going into too much detail, there were water sounds, bathroom lights that turned off and on, a laptop that inexplicably lifted from my bag and ended up on the floor - unscathed and a flutter of unexplained wind that wished under the covers down at our feet.

We weren't ignoring what was occurring and we weren't in shock, but nobody thought anything odd until we were back in the safety of our long island home did we speak of the occurrences.

I must also add that I an a non-believer in psychics, the afterworld, supernatural, but I cannot explain our stay, nor my desire to go back. I was the one that googled Holyoke and found the ghost sighting information. Even now, a couple of months later, do i get goose bumps typing about it.

The lobby was elegant and our room was charming. The breakfast that was included was wonderful. I would stay at the D Hotel again, but the next time I checked the rated, it was considerably higher. I hope they don't get to popular, because we want to go back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Hebrew first
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I would highly recommend this hotel. We stayed in a suite, which owner upgraded us to for our anniversary. The suite was very nice with two rooms and a very nice bathroom. The staff was wonderful and really made us feel special. The front desk person must have had a note that said it was our anniversary because she lit up and was very excited to see us. Then she went and got the owner to say hello to us. She goes “look who it is!” to the owner. I actually looked behind me wondering who was walking in the door! But it was us she was referring to. It was very nice that they were so excited for us and took the time to make the experience special.
The hotel had a nice pool, really nice lobby and was attached to a great restaurant where we had a fantastic meal. The package we got at the hotel came with a gift card to the restaurant so we did not have to worry about it. Because it was our anniversary when we got to the restaurant they reserved a beautiful table by the fireplace for us. We did not have to leave the hotel for anything. It was a great place to stay for a romantic weekend.
If you did not want to go to the restaurant for brunch the hotel offered complimentary breakfast. It had fruit, cereal, eggs, sausage, pancakes and Belgium waffles. It was very nice to wake up and have that option.
I really liked the place and would continue going back to it every year!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
La Quinta, California, United States
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I had a family emergency in Northhampton and flew from California not knowing where to stay. I hurriedly google and found The D. I arrived early in the morning, told Kevin Dawson, the front desk person, my story and that it was ok if I couldn't check in early. I just needed a place to plant and work on my iPad. One of the managers heard my story and they found a room that was ready and I checked in early. They offered to help me in any way. Did I need tea, Internet, directions extra pillow....I felt like I had been rescued. The room was very nice, the bedding and pillows were soft and fluffy...a welcome treat after a long day at the hospital. The breakfast was great too. There were waffle, pancakes, yogurt, fruit, eggs...the whole thing. We ate at The Mick one night which is adjacent to the hotel. Boy, was that convenient! The locals frequent this restaurant, if that tells you anything. Thank you D-staff, I couldn't have done it without you. P.S. Ill family member is doing well.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Port Chester, New York
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I thought it was a nice hotel for the price, my room was spacious, tastefully decorated & clean breakfast was a nice addition. I would definitely stay here again if I my travels brought me to Holyoke.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

On entering, the foyer is somewhat clinical, however forget that and enjoy fresh, clean and spacious rooms. Ours came with a sizeable bathroom with good hot water, and a great shower, although in appearance it was edging towards needing some TLC.
Ours was a fully carpeted bedroom with big comfortable beds, super duvets and pillows. Complete with tasteful decor, plenty of lamps;
the rear rooms do suffer from traffic noise, despite the double glazed windows and drapes.
This is an independent hotel, and it shows in the stamp of individuality that the Proprietor has brought to the place. If you get the chance have a chat with her, she gave us some great advice on the locale and places to visit.
Micks, one of the restaurants on site is a good place to eat, and only a step away from the Hotel foyer.
The breakfast area could be 'cosy' if all the guests arrive at the same time.
The quantity and quality of the food was good, especially the bacon!
Given the chance and in the area, we would have no hesitation in returning.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Amherst, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 October 2013

This Holyoke hotel has a pretentious lobby with loud unpleasant elevator music (if there's such a thing as good elevator music) and a fake log fireplace. The room we stayed in was bad-motel small, with so many problems that we were able to get out of the remainder of our reservation. The breakfast was awful - cut fruit that was blackened on the edges, greasy potatoes and meat, and an unpleasant omelet-like thing. The room was extremely far from parking, This place, with its problem-ridden room, is so far from a 3-star that it should be ashamed to claim it. You'd do far better in a low-star hotel. Unless you're into aggravation, avoid this place.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Peter R, Owner at D. Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
On behalf of the D. Hotel and Suites we are incredibly sorry you did not enjoy your stay. We strive to provide the very best accommodations possible, and we are sorry that we did not deliver your expectations. We are not about excuses, but we are about making things right. Please allow us to serve you again at our cost. Our new renovations, our great customer service and our commitment to making it right is being appreciated by most of our guests. Therefore I am sure we can also exceed your expectations during your next visit. We have sent you an E-Mail in order to personally follow up. I do hope to hear back from you.

Peter Rosskothen
Owner
Turnersville, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here while visiting family in the area. It was convenient because it was a central location to the three families we were visiting. The suite was very spacious and had a refrigerator, microwave and stove, so we could all meet there or go to their respective homes. The room was clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. The staff members were all very friendly and helpful. The complimentary breakfast every morning was incredible! It was actually better than some B&B breakfasts we've had. There is still some upgrading still being done under the new ownership so you can see where it is going to be even more elegant than it is now. The renovations are being done in a way that they do not interfere or hinder your stay in any way.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holyoke
Homewood Suites Holyoke-Springfield/North
Comfort Inn
#4 of 7 in Hadley
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst
Hampton Inn Chicopee/Springfield

Been to D. Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!