“Hidden gem”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Holyoke
Scranton, PA
“Hidden gem”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Stephen at the front desk was welcoming and gracious from the start! He even quickly changed my room when the A/C wasn't working properly.

The hotel has clean rooms that have been updated since taking over this hotel. The pool and hot tub are well kept. Nice restaurant on the property and the stay included a free entree and free hot breakfast in the hotel. Coffee wasn't very good, but I'm pretty picky.
Overall, very good stay for the price.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank SShandra
Peter R, Guest Relations Manager at D. Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
We were pleased to let Stephen know about your review. He was very thankful for your kind words. Our staff always tries to go above and beyond guest expectations. We hope we have the pleasure of serving you again in the near future. --Cheers!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Hebrew first
Huntington, West Virginia
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

We definitely have no complaints about the room. The bed is incredibly comfortable. And the location is very convenient to everything in the area. I would definitely recommend it for sometime looking forgot an inexpensive place to stay in the area.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank You for your kind words about the hotel. We do truly appreciate them. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to serving you again in the future. -- Cheers!
Westfield MA
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We have family in Northampton and always stayed at a different hotel when we visited. Last time we came to town, that hotel was booked, so I read the reviews of other hotels in the area and found the D. We were so pleased! Immaculately clean, very comfortable beds. Great hot breakfast buffet, cordial staff etc.. Our grandchildren loved visiting and swimming in the pool, and especially the candy dish in the lobby! The started referring to The D as the "candy hotel."This trip they were disappointed to see that the candy dish only contained mints. Our one request would be to put the candy back. Otherwise, another great stay. We will be back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We all got a laugh when we heard you refer to us as the Candy Hotel. We do offer mints now in the Candy Dish. The next time you make a reservation give us a heads up about this review and we will be more than happy to share out secret stash. Thank You for your kind words. -- CHEERS!
Woburn, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The staff is very accommodating and has the best customer service around. They jump at the chance to help you with your every need. This is across the board, from front desk to restaurant to management. Would gladly stay again!
The hotel is clean and newly renovated. Nothing bad to say about the place.

Room Tip: Not all of the rooms are the same. Some have fireplaces, microwaves and refrigerators. Best to call...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Peter R, Guest Relations Manager at D. Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank You for your kind words. Our staff always tries to meet and then exceed guest expectations. We will share your kind words with everyone here at the hotel. We look forward to serving you in the future. -- Cheers!
Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I am not one to write bad reviews. Having worked in hospitality sales I prefer to deal directly with the establishment quietly to resolve anything I find unacceptable. Let me start off by saying that the hotel is clean, the people are nice, the breakfast is great, and the prices a good. This was not my first stay at the hotel but it is the first time under the new ownership. The occasion was my son’s wedding. He had reserved a room block for out of town guests. The room block did sell out because several other parties tried to get the negotiated room block rate and were unable. We stayed for two nights, arriving the day before the wedding for the rehersal. Check in was great and we enjoyed our first night and breakfast the next morning. We had been told that a shuttle would take us from the hotel to the wedding venue and also return us to the hotel at the end of the reception. First miscommunication, some of which may have been on our part for not getting clarification but being in the bridal party we needed to arrive earlier than the other guests so no shuttle was scheduled to take us when we needed to go – but fear not – the manager, later known to us as the proprietor, personally assured us that if we took our own vehicles to the venue we could safely leave them there overnight and take the shuttle back to the hotel. The wedding ceremony, reception, and food were fine. There was an odd disconnect between where the outdoor ceremony was held and the path we had to be herded through with staff escorting us to our function room but no big deal. The wedding was wonderful and everyone was happy. At the end of the night I went to inquire about the shuttle back to the hotel. The valet service at the entrance said they were a separate company and didn’t know anything about it and sent us to ask at the coat check kiosk. The woman we found there went to find the planner assigned to our event. The answer came back that the shuttle would be there in 15 minutes. About 20 people opted to take the shuttle. The rest of the guests began leaving. Then even the bride and groom left. 20 people milled about outside waiting for the shuttle. We called the hotel. We were told again that the shuttle was just leaving and would be there in 15 minutes. Time went by. No shuttle. A third, less patient call was made and we were again being told that the shuttle was just leaving and would be there in 15 minutes. The man at the hotel desk said he was being put in a tough position because the person who called believed we should somehow be compensated for our inconvenience. We had identified ourselves as guests at the hotel who were planning to return to the hotel bar for a continuation of the evening’s festivities. Several parties of people started to not believe the shuttle would ever arrive and against better judgment decided to get in their cars and drive when they had had a little too much to drink. By the time the shuttle arrived, and hour had gone by. An older gentleman (bus driver) was quite upset with those of us on the bus complaining amongst ourselves and shouted at us, “I’m a 68 year old man and I forgot! It’s my fault, not the hotel’s.” Well we were chastised weren’t we. The six of us who waited arrived safely at the hotel, as did the people who should not have driven (lucky for the hotel, I say). Our room was the first one off the elevator on the third floor. From a distance of about 10 feet away we could see that our door was ajar. It was in fact open. Housekeeping had come in after we left in the morning and the door had not been secured behind them. We had ipads, laptops, jewelry out in the open. Fortunately nothing was taken. I understand that things happen and people are human. The reason I don’t usually write reviews is that I do understand this and I never want to negatively impact a business until I give them a chance to rectify a situation. I was assured that the owner was well aware of the shuttle fiasco but I would have to wait until morning to discuss my unlocked room. The next morning I sought out the owner, the same woman who assured me personally that we could safely leave our vehicles at the Log Cabin venue because the shuttle would return us to the hotel. She was extremely apologetic about both situations. I always carry in my head that humans make mistakes but it is how you handle them that makes the difference. The owner promptly and thoroughly threw the bus driver “under the bus” blaming him for the error and forgetting about the schedule. As an owner you OWN the mistake and deal with your staff internally. An apology was not enough, sincere though it was. I signed a contract to rent a room with the clear understanding that the hotel was responsible for the safety and security of my room in my absence. I was told by the owner of a time when the very same thing had happened to her and her husband while traveling. I wasn’t looking for empathy. I wanted some restitution. Nothing was forthcoming. I finally said that specifically and then the owner only asked if some percentage off the bill would be fair. I said frankly I think my whole stay should be comp’ed and that something should be done for all of the guests in the room block as some form of restitution for the shuttle inconvenience but nothing regarding the shuttle was going to be addressed. That was just an unfortunate thing that occurred in the past. I don’t know, but letting 20 or so guests leave with a less than a pleasant experience when you have the chance to turn it around is what I would have done – not to mention the liability bullet they dodged when drunk people drove back to their hotel. I finally had to declare that I would not be happy without having the room charge for the night my door was left open was the least I would accept. The owner said the customer is always right and that is what she did. I am writing this because I was not satisfied and I had to wrangle that compensation out of her. It was not forthcoming. I identified myself as someone who has stayed there before and that my newly married son, soon to provide me with grandchildren, lived five minutes away. Clearly I would be a returning guest. But I will not stay there again. Things do happen. It’s all in how you fix your mistakes and make good that matters for the future.

2 Thank Lorie P
Peter R, Owner at D. Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
The two issues in this review are clearly unacceptable and our team is working very hard in order to prevent them from ever happening again. Our conversation ended in such a good way that I am truly surprised at the negative tone and score of this review. Please accept again my sincere apology for the issues! We aim for 100% satisfaction and our goal is to exceed expectations. This business is our teams and my livelihood and we take every detail very seriously, we are 100% committed to exceeding expectations. Fortunately it is also clear that we did a great job with the wedding, accommodations, dining and other last minute requests, thank you for all your compliments!

Linda Rosskothen
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed at the hotel on a busy weekend when the local colleges were having graduation, so the place was packed and we could not get a suite. Not to worry - very nice and clean room, and no road noise in spite of the fact it is very close to I-91. The lighting was a little dim in the room but it was OK.

Because of the timing of our stay, the rates were not reasonable, but everyone jacks their prices when they know they can sell every room.

We ate in the grill the one night we stayed in, and the food was good, reasonably priced, and served quickly. Wish we could have tried the restaurant, but it was booked solid.

Breakfast is a little cramped - it's a step up from a moderate chain hotel but nothing spectacular.

My biggest concern was that there was only 1 elevator for both guests and staff, but we used the stairs when going down. It's not a huge hotel, so the wait was rarely more than a couple of minutes.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank You for your kind words. We are glad you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. We are a small boutique hotel and that is why we only have one elevator. We also have two stair cases that lead from the first floor up to the top. We hope we are fortunate enough to earn your business in the future. --Cheers!
Baltimore USA
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I was there on a busy May weekend, so we didn't get the bargain rates. But the room was very nice, the bathroom was spacious, and there was a good pool and free wi-fi. Best of all, the staff were uniformly friendly, welcoming and eager to please. The only reason they did not get a 5 is the motel-style buffet breakfast, where you have to do all the work yourself and the fruit is only fair. I would be happy to come here again! Btw, if you go on Route 9 north to Northampton. the little shack on the side of the road serves OUTSTANDING barbecued ribs. We saved some for breakfast, using the staff refrigerator.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
We serve a buffet style breakfast so you may have as little or as much as you want. We always offer fresh food, fruits, Coffee, and Tea that was prepared that morning. We hope the next we can earn a five star rating from you. Thank You for your kind comments. We look forward to serving you in the future. -- Cheers!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holyoke
Homewood Suites Holyoke-Springfield/North
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 7 in Hadley
Hampton Inn Chicopee/Springfield

Been to D. Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!