“Almost ruined our first family vacation”
Review of Breakwaters

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hyannis
Breakwaters
Hooksett, New Hampshire
“Almost ruined our first family vacation”
Reviewed 31 August 2012

When I booked our three night stay, I fully expected the typical beach cottage. Structurally, and aesthetically, it was. The most important feature that was lacking was cleanliness. My crawling infant was completely covered in filth from the wood floor and carpet after less than 2 minutes. I was horrified. The floors have probably never been mopped and although it is noted that there is a cleaning/maid service, the floors weren't even vacuumed. We spent the entire trip finding ways to remain outside and keeping our son out of the unit. Thank goodness it was nice out so we did day trips and used the other unit's lawn to crawl around in the evenings until bedtime. The kitchen cabinets were loaded with old dusty Christmas decorations and used food. We had to block off the kitchen with the wooden chairs. There were dead bugs in the sink drain, and after lifting out the food catcher, I found what looked like a piece of old meat or shell fish. I've seen some of the pictures on here, and our cottage did not look ANYTHING like that clean white interior. I would not recommend staying here if you have small children. It was so stressful trying to keep our son clean and safe.

The park . . . definitely a sketchy place after dark. We spent our last night debating on whether or not to call the police on a man and women who were extremely intoxicated (and carrying a plastic bag of beer) as they were fighting for about an hour and a half while we were trying to grill and eat dinner. Aside from the vacationers, the locals that frequent the area are less than desirable. Thank goodness that weather was considering it was August because I was uncomfortable leaving the windows unlocked.

The Staff...the Manager or Owner really doesn't have any personality and comes across rude. Not sure if that is intentional. Upon checking out, he didn't even care enough to ask how our stay was. The Maintenance man had a car full of female visitors who came shouting his name up our walkway while my son was napping. While the other girls in the car made comments about her boyfriend, she shouted back at the car with profanities. Then one of them flashed the couple. Again the profanity.

I would NEVER stay here again, for all of the above reasons, not just one in particular. I wouldn't even stay here without children. The only nice thing was that the beach was a stone throw from the cottage.

Room Tip: Avoid and book elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank sullivan_823

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Reading the reviews it is completely understandable why my wife booked the Breakwaters for our very first vacation with our 10-month-old. They're GLOWING...and they make no sense at all.

Yes, the location in relation to the beach is excellent. Nice beach, sunsets and some have a view of the ocean. The cottage is disgusting and small children are subjected to dust dirt and germs. It was clear that the unit had not been vaccumed, mopped or even swept prior to our arrival (and probably even longer than that). We were forced to roll up the rug and put it on the porch after our son was covered in grime from crawling around for 5 minutes. We spent our first night scrubbing the floor with our own cleaner - on our hands and knees. We put a blanket down on the floor for the remainder of the trip so that we wouldn't have to carry him the whole time we were physically IN the cabin - which believe me was as little time as possible. We actually prefered him crawling around the outside lawn, eating grass, than crawling around inside the cabin. Just filthy.

Just a few other gems we dealt with: dirty, disgusting window fans, no A/C, the kitchen sink smelled like garbage, the tv in the living room didn't work, mold on the floors and curtains in the bathroom, sticky table tops and chairs, a door knob that fell right off between the bathroom and one of the bedrooms. Oh yeah, and a smelly men's bathing suit, clearly swam in and just left, on the floor of the master bedroom closet. GROSS

My wife laid awake the whole first night debating whether or not to just pack everything up and go somewhere else. But that really wasn't possible.

We weren't expecting the Taj Mahal by any stretch of the imagination. We've stayed at beach cottages before and realize there's always gonna be some wear and tear. But this was ridiculous. NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank JMsulli1027
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 August 2012

You stay at the Breakwaters because of the location - perfect for families. It is literally steps from Keyes beach, which is behind the hyannis harbor breakwater. The waves are gentle, and it's delightful to sit on the beach watching the boatsas well as the sailboarders from Kalmus beach just to the west. Great views of hyannisport to the east, and lots of horseshoe crabs washing up on the beach. These condos are so close to the beach that you walk back to them instead of the public restroom - about the same distance. The kids loved going to the beach in the evening.

In addition to fantastic beach proximity, The place is slightly less than a mile from Main street in Hyannis. Lots of shops and two great restaurants at the western end of downtown, where Sea street comes out. Close enough to the ferry that we biked to it. As convenient as you could get to most mid-cape attractions.

The units themselves are a mixed bag. On the one hand, our unit looked like someone's project. Paint that didn't completely cover up the old color, linoleum that was curling because no edging was installed in parts of the bath, etc. On the other hand, it was surprising that there was wifi in our unit, not just in the office. And each unit has a lovely webber grill on the patio, and a table with an umbrella you can take to the beach. Our unit had multiple TVs, too. This is a cottage community, and you are right on top of your neighbors, so it is not a place to go if you are looking for seclusion. There is a very small pool here, but we didn't use it.

A couple of additional comments: We didn't find the park next door sketchy as one reviewer did, but a couple of very small things disappeared off our patio. One reviewer complained that there weren't fans. I guess the manager (who is very nice) read that review because every room in our unit had at least one fan, although some of the fans were pretty dirty.

As you can see, this place isn't perfect, but I would definitely consider returning if I were coming to the area.

Room Tip: Ask if your room gets a seabreeze. Also, some duplex units are side by side, others are up and down...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Fallbrook, California
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I was very disappointed when I wrote to the Breakwaters telling them that I travel with a certified service dog they told me "we have a no pets policy". I told them that I use my service dog to walk and that he helps me with daily living tasks. They only said "we have a no pets policy". The law states "Places of Public Accommodation" means:
Inns, hotels, motels, or other places of lodging, except for establishments located within buildings that contain five or fewer rooms for rent or hire, and that are actually occupied by the proprietor as the proprietor's residence; Which I do not think this applies to this company because they are not using this as a primary residence. I am having a lawyer review it right now. I have traveled all over the USA with my service dog, staying at some of the best hotels in the world. I have rented through VRBO which the owners of these properties are exempt but they chose to rent houses to me many times. Ike is certified through a National Organizations that provide service dogs to people in need. If I could travel alone I would but I can't and I need the help of my faithful, obedient service dog. My service dog is allowed in Hospitals, he even sits on my bed when I have to be there over and over for my incurable disease. I just wanted to let you know that this property is not disability friendly and may possibly be breaking a law.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank jenandike
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We loved our stay at the Breakwaters! I love the little cottage that we stayed in. We felt more at home at this little home than we ever would at any hotel. The rooms are nicely furnished with just enough room. We were just a very short walk from the beach. We weren't there long enough to use the pool, it actually may have been closed when we were there. We went in September after the summer rush was over. We thought it was cool that you could see the Kennedy compound from our little beach. Will stay there again if we ever venture back up that way again. Price was excellent.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank thomasons
New York
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Having made a very bad choice of accommodation for last summer's vacation we decided to book in to a hotel for our first night in Cape Cod and drive around the following morning to view some places we had found on the internet. We saw about 6 places and the Breakwaters was the one for us. It was clean, quiet, the grounds and cottages looked well taken care of and it was right by the beach. We stayed in a 2 bed cottage. There were TVs in both of the bedrooms and in the living room. The kitchen was well equiped with a full size fridge, 4 ring stove top, microwave and all sorts of cooking and serving utensils. We had 2 decks with chairs and a picnic table and a charcoal grill. The bathroom was clean and fresh. Shortly after we checked in they brought us a travel cot and high chair which was fabulous and unexpected. You have to bring your own linens for the travel cot but no big deal. I loved the daily housekeeping service! That was a real treat. The staff across the board were very friendly and accommodating. They have an outdoor pool that's open from 10-6 every day with a full-time lifeguard. If nobody is using the pool the lifefuard goes to the reception/office area but if you ask he will immediately open up the pool to let you in. We didn't figure this out until our third day so we missed out on using the pool on our first two days. The location is very close to shopping, beaches, restaurants, etc. and you can walk in to the Main Street in about 10 minutes. Even though the Breakwaters was fully occupied we rarely heard noise from any other guests. The wifi service is very, very slow but other than that no complaints!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Cbmw
Albany, New York
Reviewed 15 July 2011

this trip made us all fall in love with Cape Cod all over again! We stayed at The Breakwaters with 6 families - 20 people in all, ranging in age from 6 to 48. The location was awesome and the kids were able to go from the beach, to the pool, to the snackbar, and the older ones even walked into town! The accomodations were very clean with every convenience. Although the wallpaper was peeling in a few places, the rooms were quaint, quiet, and comfortable. We had 9 kids who had plenty of room for late night UNO games in the 3 bedroom living room. The proximity to the water and the water view from the 3 bedroom deck was amazing. We spent time on the Sea Street beach and traveled to Nauset for the big waves 2 days as well so we had the best of both worlds. Close to shopping, beaches, restaurants, etc. Our 3 bedroom had a big lawn out front which we used for lacrosse practice, baseball practice and intense bocce games. We cooked great meals on the grills onsite too! My only sugggestion would be to add outdoor showers to rinse the sand off. Can't wait to book for next year. Highly recommended for families.

Room Tip: 3 bedroom units 2a, 2b, 3a and 3b are closest to the water!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank pwestfall10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hyannis
Anchor In Hotel
#12 of 22 in Hyannis
Ocean Mist Beach Hotel & Suites
Ocean Mist Beach Hotel & Suites
#8 of 21 in South Yarmouth

Been to Breakwaters? Share your experiences!