“Bring ear plugs!!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Massachusetts
“Bring ear plugs!!!”
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

Every time I come here it is booked up with "teams" basketball, soccer whatever.. All you hear all day and all night is kids running, screaming slamming doors. It not even this loud when I'm at disney hotels. It's unbelievable. But other than that everything else is nice. The outdoor pool is our favorite, it's salt water and heated. They have a Bon fire every night, you can cook s'mores. Rooms are clean and have a fridge.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Jason C, Manager at Cape Codder Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
I apologize for the noise you experienced during your recent stay. We have many security procedures in place to try and prevent excessive noise in the halls but some of these haven't been as well enforced as they should be. We just recently changed some procedures and have switched our security company to try and enhance our guest experience when there are large groups in house. I hope you will come visit us again in the future and enjoy a more peaceful experience.

Cape Codder Resort & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Reviewed 17 March 2014

HOCKEY TEAMS, BASKETBALL TEAM OR ANY OTHER SPORTS TEAM!!

I am so disgusted with this hotel and the way our entire team and families were treated this past weekend. Let me just start off by stating that our Team Mom reserved a block of rooms back in November. We had an entire hallway filled with 6-8year old boys excited for their tournament, parents and siblings - except for one of our families who booked a little later and was told they would not be able to be placed on the same floor as us because it was booked solid. So WHY did the hotel think it was a good idea to place an older couple in their 60's not associated with our team smack dab in the middle of our hallway!?! Like that was not going to be an issue!! Don't get me wrong if I was this couple I would of been furious as well.

The harassment toward our team started at 6pm on Friday night just as everyone was checking in, greeting each other and getting plans (game times, dinner plans, carpool arrangement etc) finalized. This couple called and complained about the noise (yes the 30+ children on the floor) incessantly. So management sent up the detail cop over and over again you know instead of acknowledging the fact that they mismanaged the room placement and just move this poor couple off the floor. At 9 o'clock everyone was banned from the hallway (even one of the Dads having a quick business call quietly right outside of his door as his wife was putting their infant to sleep).

Finally, at around 9:30pm the night manager did come up and move the couple out of the hallway. We had many families show up later and it seemed every time my husband and I heard anyone coming down the hall the cop would be right behind them rushing them into their room. I was so furious at this point I did tell the cop and manager that we all paid a lot of money for these rooms and this was ridiculous. The manager's response to me was that groups and teams get a discounted rate!! Are you kidding me!?! Our rooms were $190/night how is that a discount never mind that this mere discounted rate resulted in 25 rooms, 2 function room rentals, multiple food orders and group brunch on Sunday!!!!

It was just an overall awful and disappointing experience. I literally could write a 20 page review with everything we encountered from check in to check out. This was our Mite's first year at The Lobster Pot Tournament and the treatment we continued to receive was really a buzz kill for them. They were all so excited for this team experience and so were all of us parents too. The lifeguards were miserable rolling their eyes and complaining amongst their selfs about having to tell the kids to walk. You work at a hotel with water slides, wave pool, and all year outside pool filled with many teams participating in the tournaments during your off season!!! Come on!!

The tournament itself was amazing, well organized and fun. We will definitely consider participating next year, but we will not be staying at The Cape Codder. For a "discounted" amount of $380 for just our room alone..... I will give a hotel that is more accommodating, friendly and welcoming to team bookings my money. I asked around at the tournament and many other teams stayed at The Holiday Inn and were very pleased. One Mother from Franklin who stayed at The Holiday Inn thought it should of been a red flag that The Cape Codder even had a police detail hired. I 100% agree but they leave that part out when you are booking your room just like they left out the fact they had multiple teams for both a basketball and hockey tournament staying at the hotel to the poor couple stuck on our floor.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lynsey O
Jason C, Manager at Cape Codder Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Lynsey,

Our property is very happy to accommodate groups of all shapes and sizes however we also have a responsibility to all of our guests (groups included) to provide an atmosphere of safety and enjoyment. In order to accomplish this, our resort has established a set of policies such as hiring extra security to monitor the property during times of high occupancy. Their job is to ensure that all guests are able to have a safe and happy stay with us. These policies have proven to be successful and very appreciated by the majority of our guests and has helped make us one of the more popular hotels on Cape Cod. We do appreciate your feedback and hope you can understand our reasoning for these procedures. Thank you again for staying with us.

West Greenwich, Rhode Island
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We just returned from a weekend stay at the Cape Codder and I was surprised to find that although it offers family friendly packages, the staff and "rules" are anything but. We were traveling with 2 other families and we had requested that our rooms be located near each other. Upon check in, we learned that 2 of us were near each other, but the 3rd family was in a different building and the only reason given was that they had booked through a travel site. I still don't understand why that means the request for all the families to be close by could not be accommodated. This morning the game room was closed when we went at 7:00 AM even though the hours say it open at 6:00 AM. I called the front desk and the 1st person said that there was a problem with 1 of the machines. I asked for a supervisor who then said the same thing. I asked why the room couldn't be open if it was only 1 machine that they could put an out of order sign on and after arguing with me, she finally agreed to send someone to open the room. Not sure what machine wasn't working since there was no sign, but we didn't have a problem. And finally my 4 year old LOVES the outdoor pool and we wanted to swim in it today before the 11:00 check out time, but surprise while the outdoor pool opens at 9:00 AM, kids are not allowed in it until 10:00 because 9-10 is adults only. When I complained to the teenage lifeguards, they said rules are rules so I asked for someone from the front desk to come speak to me and she was rude. After all according to her "kids are loud." Really? You have an early check out time and prohibit kids from accessing 1 of the pools that we paid close to $400 for the privilege of using for the weekend. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if the indoor wave pool wasn't packed wall to wall with people since clearly the hotel doesn't have or doesn't abide by any rules to limit the capacity and just gives out as many bracelets as there are people. There are other hotels with pools and indoor water parks in the area that treat families (and that includes kids too) better. Not sure if we'll go back again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank hdag2014
I'm sorry to hear you were upset with your recent stay with us. Our front desk usually does our best to accommodate all requests to be near friends, however some of our room styles are located in specific areas of the hotel and cannot be next to others (second floor room cannot be next to a first floor room, etc.). It sounds like this may have been the case and although we would normally try to upgrade rooms around to make things work, the weekend you stayed we were sold out and not able to accommodate this request.

The arcade was closed that morning because one of the machines appeared to have been tampered with and prizes were taken from it. When the overnight manager noticed, they felt uncomfortable opening up the room until the arcade company had the chance to address the issue.

We created Adult Swim hours at our outdoor pool in response to a large number of requests from guests (both couples and parents alike) who wanted a bit of time each day to be able to enjoy the pool without the commotion that children can sometimes create. I can understand the disappointment for your kids, but many of our adult guests really value that hour of time each day.

We have always considered ourselves to be a family oriented resort by offering special activities and events for kids (movie nights, bonfires, arts and crafts) as well as having a place for adults to get away . I am sorry you were disappointed in some of the aspects of your stay but I hope you will consider giving us another shot in the future.

Hyannis, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We recently held a retirement party for a long time, well respected colleague. This retirement was announced with very little time before her planned departure date. When asked where she wanted her retirement party she replied at the Grand Cru if possible. Even with such short notice the Cape Codder staff (Gillian Richmond) was able to accommodate our group in the timeframe we requested. The staff was wonderful and attentive to our guest's needs. Kelly the bartender was friendly and efficient. The food was excellent. Our menu consisted of hot passed hors d'oervres and a beautiful cheese, cracker and fruit tray. This was a tremendous success and we would highly recommend the Cape Codder and the Grand Cru in particular to any group planning a function.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Beth F
Reviewed 1 March 2014

The Cape Codder Hotel lies in a choice spot in lovely Hyannis, MA. By choice, I mean nowhere near the ocean, but close to both the very good Tex-Mex restaurant Sam Diegos, and the best Barnes and Noble book store around. They are situated on a two lane road, in an unattractive site.

The hotel has a very nice wave pool and a couple of decent water slides. The rooms are ordinary - and aging badly. The rates are much too high for the quality. However, such is the state of the economy and the fate of the locals that the hotel, while large, is frequently booked completely! Weird, but true.

We have not used the spa. That's a bit odd, for us, because we are hotel spa aficionados, but we have never had the time while staying here. That said, I have perused their offerings, and while - again - the mainstays, like massages, appear to be a bit overpriced, they do offer unique and very cute services (manis, pedis, etc.) for female children that I have never seen before.

Nonetheless, while you will not have a view, or a VCR or DVD player, or any clue how to navigate this place when you first arrive; but the staff is friendly, professional and patient, even when fully booked.

Upside - their better restaurant - The Grand Cru Wine Bar and Grill. Good food, above average wine menu, superb wait staff, good live jazz music (although, on the night I visited, I seemed to be the only patron who appreciated this).

Downside - the other restaurant is a Hearth and Kettle, a chain that offers ordinary food at overly high prices. At least the menu is broad.

We have stayed here a number of times, partly because our boys like the wave pool, partly because the parents like the restaurants and other amenities around the hotel, and mainly because our union used to book the hotel yearly for a conference and we did not pay to stay here. So - we will stay here a couple more times while the kids are still young, then never again. There is no reason whatsoever that adults would pay to stay here alone.

Room Tip: Beg! You need to determine whether being near the wave pool or the restaurants is important to you...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank whaleboy1
Reviewed 25 February 2014

School vacation, lots of childrens activities planned which was great. Loud hotel, walls were paper thin. No enforcement of quiet so kids running/yelling at all hours of the night along with adults yelling to one another from one end of all to the other whith no respect to those that may be sleeping or trying to get young children to sleep. Staff was friendly, professional, and approachable. Hotel was clean.

Room Tip: Do not accept a corner room by an exit door unless you are a smoker - guests smoke outside the exit...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Laura H
Charlestown, Rhode Island, United States
Reviewed 22 February 2014

... because I didn't remember that it was school vacation week. I am in my 50s and came on Cape for a job interview. Didn't give school vacation a thought. Don't EVER make the same mistake if you are going to stay here... because for the last 3 days the kids have definitely run the show. Running around corners in this huge confusing labyrinth of a place, ready to run into you at every turn. Yelling, running up and down the halls at all hours... I mean ALL hours... at midnight some kids ran by the door of my $350.00 night room (yeah, don't make THAT mistake here either!) and banged loudly on my door... twice!!! Scared the heart out of me. Where are the parents you might ask? I would love to know!! When I told the front desk, they said I should have called them- and I am sure I should have- but by the time I got to the peep hole, there was no one to be seen. SO... if you DO stay here, call the front desk with problems.

I am sure the pools and game rooms are nice- too many kids so we couldn't get in. The food was great. The rooms are kind of dated... the first night we were in a regular king room which was small and nothing special. The second night we upgraded to a loft with a fireplace and a whirlpool (I am a sucker for such things!). The room was ok... dated...with an incredibly slippery wooden spiral staircase to a small bedroom (queen bed) and a gigantic bathroom. Small deck that was covered in ice and snow (for $350.00 a night- which I think was actually discounted for us- you'd think someone could have taken the 45 seconds necessary to shovel it off!).

SO.. bottom line....come here if you have young kids and you want to let them run free for a few days.... no one but the old people who forgot about school vacation will care... and this place is definitely not about us!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank LilMcGill1019
I'm sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than enjoyable. February vacation is one of our busiest weeks of the year and although it is a great time for the kid's and families, it isn't always the best situation for others. Our reservations department does try to mention all of the activities and how popular this week is, but I will review with them to also make sure they make all travelers without children aware of how busy we are as well.

I have sent you a private message to discuss your concerns and try to make the situation right. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Cape Codder Resort & Spa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hyannis
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
#5 of 21 in South Yarmouth
Red Jacket Beach Resort & Spa
Red Jacket Beach Resort & Spa
#4 of 21 in South Yarmouth

Been to Cape Codder Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!