“Food is very good. Portions very small for price”

Cooke's Seafood - Hyannis
Ranked #19 of 214 Restaurants in Hyannis
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Cooke's Seafood in Hyannis has become a Cape Cod institution by serving the highest quality, freshest seafood available since 1977. Walk into Cooke's Seafood and you will know why it has been a local favorite for over 40 years.
Reviewed 30 April 2016 via mobile

Cooke's Hyannis and mashpee had been a family favorite with us going many times each summer for over 20 years but it had been a while since our last visit to the cape. My wife and I shared an oyster platter and an order of scallops. I know seafood can get pricey and I don't mind paying for good food but I remember heaping portions as one of the great features at cookes.

Food was VERY good but left hungry after spending over $40.00 for 2

Reviewed 17 April 2016

We just ate here, the food wasn't as good as we had hoped. My husband got the shrimp po' boy sandwich, which was supposed to be some type of New Orleans style sandwich, but it was just fried plain shrimp on a roll? The special dressing was thousand island? It just wasn't what we had expected.. I got the lobster roll which was not the best lobster roll I've ever had either.

Andrew V, Public Relations Manager at Cooke's Seafood - Hyannis, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2016

Thanks for reaching out, and we're very concerned that we didn't live up to your expectations. Our Po' Boy has been very popular, but we understand it's not your favorite. The special sauce does have similarities to a russian dressing but is a house made blend that's been in our family for years. We do keep our shrimp slightly less spicy than a New Orleans native may be used to, but our locals have loved it. Try adding a dash of tabasco, or sriracha available in our dining room for extra kick! We appreciate your feedback and are always working on ways to improve our guest experience.

Reviewed 30 March 2016 via mobile

This just opened for the season under new ownership. Four of us went for lunch and were extremely disappointed. We arrived shortly before noon and it was not busy so there was no reason for our plates to come out lukewarm. We each had fried seafood
which comes with a garnish of 3 onion rings, Cole slaw, and fries. The fries were swimming in so much oil we needed wads of napkins to soak it up and it also ended up under the fish which made that soggy.
The coleslaw came in a small covered plastic container. It was bland and had a plastic taste to it. Needless to say we didn't consume much. We have met here for years in a regular basis. No more.
Since it was quiet we overheard others with similar comments. There are many fried seafood restaurants that are very good which we will go to that will be worth the price we pay

Andrew V, Manager at Cooke's Seafood - Hyannis, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2016

We are excited to annouce that ownership has been restored to the original family who founded and operated Cooke's from its inception until 2005. Cooke's has evolved since 1977, when it fried only clams and fish and grilled burgers. Your concerns about oil are heard and we are making every stride to improve the quality and service you've grown to love over the years. We are constantly evaluating all customer feedback and have passed your comments along to the team. Just as reminder, we're always eager to have the opportunity to address any concerns immediately, and suggest that you speak to a manager on site about resolution.

Reviewed 20 March 2016 via mobile

Love the food, perfect and large portions! The staff is very kind and welcoming and gives recommendations for new comers. Cooke's is a great place to eat solo or with the family! First stop to a great trip on Cape Cod, so glad it is here :)

Reviewed 16 March 2016

Was staying at Holiday Inn across street - on the way to my car to drive for some seafood and noticed that Cooks had opened (first day). Clean and friendly atmosphere. Reasonable prices. I thought the chowder was more creamy and less chunky, but still tasty. I had fried Haddock and Shrimp both delicious. Fries and coleslaw also very good. I would eat here again.