“Worst Place I Ever Stayed At”

Cape Cod Ocean Manor
Ranked #1 of 9 Hyannis B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 December 2011

This is the worst place I have ever stayed at. The room was so smelly as though there had been mold growing for years. I could hardly get any sleep since my nose kept running from the bad air. The room did not have a deadbolt, a real necessity in a hotel room nowadays. The place was rundown and very cramped. It just had a stairwell in the middle with a few rooms off the stairwell on each of the two floors. I think even the innkeeper doesn’t stay there. Just leaves a room key for a person to pick up.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marigold66
pookiepuff1, Owner at Cape Cod Ocean Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2011

We appreciate the reviews submitted by our guests on this site however, we think this review requires clarity and correction. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness and hospitality of our bed and breakfast. The guest had a late night check in of an unknown time so for her convenience we made her key accessible for a seamless check-in. Most of our guests don’t complain about this service and they have always thanked us for being able to go straight in to their room after a long trip. As can be seen from a plethora of reviews, catering to our guests is always a top priority. The rooms are cleaned and inspected on a regular basis so the accusation of mold is completely baseless. All of our rooms have locks and chain deadbolts and apparently this was accidentally overlooked by the guest. When the guest expressed her disappointment we gave her a generous discount because we always do our best to assuage any source of conflict, regardless of fault. This is our home that we live in all year and we have the B&B because we love our guests. We have guests from all over the world who have stayed in five-star hotels who love our B&B and are always thanking us for making them feel like they are home.

Reviewed 12 October 2011

Recommended to us by the host of our previous hotel. Welcomed by Martin the owner who was extremely friendly and knowledgeable of Cape Cod. Felt at home. Room very large with enormous comfortable bed. Excellent breakfast with good choice of cereals, toast, fruit and warm homemade cranberry muffins. Enjoyed our stay. Beach just across the road.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2011

We had an enjoyable stay at Cape Cod Ocean Manor! The muffins and fruit for breakfast were nice. Restaurants/Ferries were just a short walk and the beach was just down the street.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jenna m
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We arrived at the B&B in the storm after a few hours of driving. Martin, the owner, quickly greeted us and showed us to our cute and spacious room. He thoughtfully pulled out maps and suggested places to eat for dinner that night, as well as towns to explore on the Cape. We ended up staying there for two nights because of the warm atmosphere and the nice accommodations for an affordable price. We were very happy with our stay! Also, Martin is so fun to talk to-- ask him about bikram yoga and his band! =)

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 27 September 2011

My friend and I made a little road trip to and all over Cape Cod. We stayed at the Ocean Manor on our first night and the reception was very good. The very kind owner and manager Martin gave us a lovely spacious and fully equipped room. Everything was clean and neat and there was even a cute little balcony. Martin provided us with directions and advice on where to go and gave us very nice breakfast with home made muffins. There was a nice homely atmosphere - Martin takes the time to make his guests feel welcome and showed us some warm Irish hospitality. Our experience was so good that we decided to extend our stay there with another night and we are happy we did.
The location is a good base to explore the Cape and near a marina in a bay.
We highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: We were in the room above the common room and liked it very much
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We enjoyed our 3-night stay at the CC Ocean Manor - Martin is a pleasure and goes out of his way to show you around and suggest places to visit, dine etc. We had told him we were in Hyannis to celebrate my father-in-law's 80th birthday and the next morning, Martin gave my FIL a small gift for his birthday - very sweet and thoughtful!

The inn is clean and quaint, very New England-y decor. Our kind size bed was very comfortable - Having an a/c was great, albeit it was a bit on the noisy side. Also, I wish they would put a box of tissues in each room, and provide towels that are a bit larger - I am not a big person and I couldnt wrap the towel around me after coming out of the shower. The plumbing at alot of these older B&Bs is old so our bathtup easily backed up while showering due to the tiny drain - The wall to wall carpeting, although cozy, was not ideal to me; I would prefer wood floors with area rugs due to my allergies, and the fact that there is always alot of moisture in the air at the Cape, esp near the water where this B&B is...

The continental breakfast served was standard fare - The fresh muffins each morning were excellent and I enjoyed the fresh fruit platter - I only wish they also offered at least some sort of protein at breakfast, maybe yogurt and/or hard boiled eggs - It was nice to sit on the back deck for breakfast, and to just relax and read a magazine.

We went to Alberto's in town one night for dinner - Food was excellent, a bit crazy during busy hours, but our waitress was pleasant and helpful - I had a delicious fresh fruit/ice cream dessert in a waffle bowl that was very tasty and refreshing! I also recommend the Raw Bar in town...excellent lobster roll - its $25 which seems like a lot, but its really has the meat of at least 2 standard rolls.....my MIL and I split one and each had a cup of NE Clam Chowder, a perfect light summer dinner! We went out to a late breakfast/brunch at The Original Gourmet Brunch place on Main St Hyannis - I loved the omelette, and my MIL loved their Brunch Supreme specialty dish -

Overall Martin is very sweet and friendly, just an all around decent guy, and his staff is pleasant and helpful - He hugged and kissed us all goodbye! I like that he leaves a hot water carafe out at all times if you want coffee/tea to take to your room - and a cookie jar, although it would be ideal if the cookie jar was filled with freshly homemade cookies instead of the store bought kind...but I am not complaining about the choc covered graham crackers which was just what I needed with my tea after the long drive to the Cape!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2011

My husband and I visited Cape Cod this August for the first time, staying at the Cape Cod Ocean Manor. When we arrived, the owner's daughter Ashley provided us with suggestions on dining and a hand drawn map that turned out to be very useful. We were seeking a quiet vacation on the Cape and the Ocean Manor gave us just what we desired. The owner Martin was always open to assisting us with our needs, including rides into the main part of Hyannis which was fifteen minute walk otherwise.
Recognizing that we were early risers, Martin and his assistant Holly provided us with our own coffee maker. At breakfast they served a variety of healthy foods, as well as delicious homemade muffins.Yum! Our room was beautifully adorned and had spectacular views of the saltwater marshes leading to the ocean. The attentiveness of Martin and his staff made our vacation in Hyannis memorable and we plan to return.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hyannis
Anchor In Hotel
Hampton Inn and Suites Cape Cod - West Yarmouth
Bayside Resort Hotel
Bayside Resort Hotel
#2 of 20 in West Yarmouth

Been to Cape Cod Ocean Manor? Share your experiences!