“Bring your own toilet paper ...”

Hyannis Harbor Hotel
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Hyannis
Massachusetts
“Bring your own toilet paper ...”
Reviewed 6 July 2009

My family and I just returned from our first stay at the Hyannis Harbor Hotel this past 4th of July weekend, and I wanted to share this review while the experience was fresh in my head.
I must admit I was getting more and more nervous abou the hotel as our trip drew closer, as a result of the many negative reviews of it on this site. However, I was actually mildly surpised upon arrival compared to that anticpated experience. For me, above all else, my #1 requirement for a hotel is cleanliness, and our room was quite clean. A few heavy spots of dust in and around the TV furniture, but seemingly very clean where it really counts (the beds, the bathroom). Probably depends on the housekeeper. The location could not be more perfect, and my young kids really enjoyed it. Across the street from the ferries, less than a mile from two beaches in one direction, 1/2 a mile to the downtown strip in the other direction, and probably 7 or 8 places to eat within a short walk.
I do have a few complaints, but would classifty them as relatively minor:
1) They seem to guard the toilet paper as if they're watching the gold in Fort Knox. One roll, no spares provided, and even when they cleaned the room each day did not replace or provide a spare for the half to quarter of a roll that was left on the holder. With a family of four, we had to call down for an extra roll twice in our 3-night stay. I know it wasn't just us, because one morning while I was walking the kids to the pool, I passed a guest asking one of the housekeepers by her cart in the hallway for another roll. And when I was checking out my last day, I heard one of the girls behind the desk calling on the phone apparantly to housekeeping to send a roll to room number 4-something. I don't know - maybe with the economy in shambles more people have been taking it home, but this is ridiculous. I would stay here again, but would bring a few rolls next time.
2) As stated in other reviews, only one pool (the indoor or outdoor) is open at a time, I assume based on weather. We went to indoor pool once, and the water was a little foggy. You couldn't see the bottom except in the real shallow end, and to be honest, I did not smell the chlorine smell in the air that one usually does at an indoor pool.
3) We had a room in the back, which was fine from the inside, though nothing fancy. It was easy to notice that the appearance of the hotel in the back, including the decks, was not as kept up and certainly not as renovated as those in the front-facing parts of the property.
4) Lastly, we paid a premium for 2 of our nights (Fri. & Sat.), because of the 4th of July weekend. They did honor an internet coupon for Thursday for the $89 walk-in rate on that night. I've stayed in a number of different hotels on different parts of the Cape over the years, all in the summer time and mostly on weekends, and realize you wind up paying more than you think you should for an old, less than modern facility based solely on its location. This time was no different.
I would likely stay here again if I was coming to Hyannis, but would request a room in the front-facing side of the building.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Boston
Reviewed 29 June 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here recently and initially only booked a two night stay. We were in one of the rooms with a jacuzzi and both the room and the view were amazing. We enjoyed it so much that after one night we asked if we could extend or stay from two to three nights (something we discussed with them and asked them to note was a likely possibility when we first made the reservations). They told us that our room was already booked on the third night, but they could move us to a different jacuzzi room instead. When we got to the front desk the morning we were to switch rooms, they told us that the guests who were in the room we were to move into had asked to extend their stay as well, so their room was no longer available. Yet when we had made the same request this was not the answer or the treatment we received. They were able to offer us a discount for our stay the third night, but the new room was a definite disappointment. Instead of a king bed they were only able to offer us two queens (though they felt more like doubles), and the whole room felt musty, outdated, and dilapidated.

The hotel also advertises an indoor AND outdoor pool, but really they should clarify that they have an indoor OR outdoor pool. They only have one pool attendant on duty and since one is required at all times by law, they only have one pool open. One day we were using the outdoor pool when the pool attendant came up to us and told us that another guest had called the front desk and wanted to use the indoor pool instead. Apparently the fact that this guest wanted to use the indoor pool was more important than the fact that we wanted to use (and were already using) the outdoor pool. She "asked" us if it would be okay if we would switch pools, but it was clear that we didn't have much of a choice.

Overall, I'd say your experience really depends on what room you get. While our first room was quite impressive, after walking around the hotel I got the feeling that the vast majority were more like the dingy room we had our last night. And as friendly as the staff seemed when we checked in, don't count on great service either. I don't know if it's because my boyfriend and I are relatively young (mid 20s) or what the reason, but it was clear that other guests received much better treatment than we did. Not to mention, it wasn't even high season yet ... it was a cold, rainy weekend in the middle of June.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
srnhg, Owner at Hyannis Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2009
We are sorry that you were not entirely satisfied with your stay at the Hyannis Harbor Hotel. I have not been able to obtain any information about the specifics of your reservation, but our Jacuzzi rooms are extremely popular and often sell-out. We apologize if you were mistakenly told that you could have a room that was not available. We have recently implemented a new reservations system, which should help avoid problems like this in the future. While not all of our rooms contain a Jacuzzi, we do have many wonderful and varied rooms at the hotel. As you point out, we were able to offer you an alternate room at a discount in an effort to redress the problem.

Our hotel has a number of indoor and outdoor amenities, including an indoor and outdoor pools and hot tubs. Our outdoor pool is always heated, and at least one pool is available to our guests during all open hours. We encourage you to utilize these amenities, as well as our outdoor firepit, patio area, renovated lobby, covered pergola and outdoor bar and restaurant. We are very excited about the completion of our three year renovation, though we are always trying to find new ways to exceed the expectations of our guests.

We hope that you will return to the Hyannis Harbor hotel. We look forward to improving your experience in the future.
san francisco
Reviewed 24 June 2009

Everything about it was great. The rooms were clean and the staff was professional and friendly. My kids really enjoyed the pool and it was easy to get everywhere without having to drag the whole family around too far. Traveling with a family can be expensive but this place was actually affordable and it didn't feel like we were skimping - the hotel is right in the center of it all and day trips are easy. Check it out if you're ever on the Cape.

New Hampshire
Reviewed 23 June 2009

Husband and I stayed at this hotel to celebrate our anniversary. This hotel could be the premiere hotel in Hyannis, it has the perfect location; directly across the street from the harbor, walking distance to restaurants, shopping, town, ferries to MV and Nantucket right across the street. But it is lacking in so many ways it is disappointing. The pool was fine (although you did not have a choice to use the indoor pool if the outdoor pool was open - the outdoor pool is heated but the air was COLD), the outside bar was fine except on Saturday night, after being out all day and exploring, we came back to the hotel around 9:30, hadn't had supper, thought we would order a burger from the outside bar/snack bar and were told the kitchen had already closed. Surprising because they still had a lot of people there but we didn't mind, we just walked over to our favorite new seafood restaurant SPANKYS. This is the first time I have ever stayed at a hotel where the sheets are so worn out you can see through them and they have pilings. The bedspreads are very dated and need to be updated. There were hairs (very long) on the walls in the bathroom that were obviously not from either one of us. The fauctet for the shower was backwards, but nobody told us so while I had the nozzel turned to "hot" for a while waiting for the hot water to come but only receiving frigid water. I finally gave up and decided to shut off the water only to notice that it was getting warmer turned to the "cold" side. I then figured out it was hooked up backwards and was able to have a nice hot shower. The drain in the tub was so slow that by the time I was done with my 10 minute shower I had plenty of water to sit and take a bath if you would dare! The rug was pretty worn out and needed to be replaced. Looked like the wallpaper was fairly new. None of the overhead lights are where you would expect, they are not in the center of the room but rather off to one side right in front of a window, not offering much light for the entire room. We booked through travelocity because we were orginially only staying one night and hotel will not book for only one night. We booked the deluxe one bed room. We called travelocity to confirm that we would have one "king size bed" in our room, not two queens. We were assured that would be the case. Upon arrival we were escorted to our room. A decent size room with two queen size beds and a view of the back of the hotel. I called the front desk to advise of the problem and they had no other king size bed rooms available. Offered us each a free drink at the outdoor bar. I called travelocity and they had our room moved to a smaller room with 2 queen size beds, but at least it was closer to the pool and you could see more than the back of a wall. We were moved to the king size bed the next night after other guests left and liked that room better but it still had the problems listed above. The layout of this hotel is very difficult to understand and although a destination looks like it is around the corner, you often times have to walk a long distance through multiple hallways to get to your destination. The continental breakfast was OK, never in the same room twice and only offered muffins, bagels, cereal, so if you low carb like me they had NOTHING to offer, but that is typical. I selected this hotel because it is a "sister" hotel to the North Conway Grand which we frequent every year and LOVE. Clearly, they are not identical twins! Honestly, if I were the North Conway I would not want to be associated with this hotel - you can pick your friends but not your family! PS not many of the staff spoke English very well. Cannot say enough good about SPANKYS clam shack - BEST EVER we ate there 3 times; and the whale watch out of Barnstable - INCREDIBLE. No seasickness and saw about 12 whales, one even breached 3 times for us. They were fabulous - very knowledgeable, gave plenty of warning for photo ops and tail shots!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Reno603
srnhg, Owner at Hyannis Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2009
Dear Reno603,

We are sorry you were disappointed with your stay at the Hyannis Harbor Hotel. We want to exceed the expectations of all of our guests.

The decision to limit the hours of the bar and restaurant was made with careful consideration, and took into account the feedback of our guests, including feedback given on Trip Advisor. Ultimately, we need to make a decision that will satisfy the most guests in the hotel. So closing earlier than some may prefer is an unfortunate result. We are open daily from 11am to 9pm for food and 11am to 11pm for beverage service. We are glad that you enjoyed eating at Spankys- it is a favorite of our guests! In the future, the front desk is also happy to help with restaurant requests or suggestions.

To the extent that you weren’t entirely satisfied with your bathroom, we apologize. We will ask the engineer to examine your room in order to correct the faucet and fix the drainage issues you experienced. Although we regularly examine our rooms for any problems or defects, we rely on our guests to make us aware of issues that we miss or are not yet aware of. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

We are happy that we were able to provide you with a guest room to your liking, despite our inability to provide a single king bed on the first night of your stay. We encourage you to speak directly with our reservations agents or book directly through the hotel website if you have specific room requests or preferences, as our third party vendors may not have the most updated information available. Our hotel is often quite full, so last minute room switches may be difficult. We appreciate your patience.

It is our sincere hope that you will join us again at the Hyannis Harbor Hotel. We are very excited about the improvements that have recently been made to the hotel, and we are looking forward to a great summer.

Travellers are raving about these Hyannis hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 June 2009

My strongest memory of Cape Cod is sitting in traffic, so I was hesitant when my husband suggested that we take our two children to visit the Cape and Islands for a four day get-away from our home in Newport, RI. This hotel offered the best location, providing us access to beaches and the Nantucket Ferry. We could not have been more pleased with this hotel. We got a suite which gave the whole family plenty of space. The room was clean and well-appointed. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The boys loved the pool and fire pit. We didn't have to worry about making a ferry reservation for Nantucket. We just walked across the street when we saw a ferry arrive. The Hyannis trolley stopped right outside of the hotel and we used it to go to the beach and other sites like the JFK memorial. We walked into town at night, and all sat by the fire pit and played cards before bed. The food at the restaurant was excellent. I have finicky eaters and they actually got excited about meal time. My traffic fears were for naught, because our car stayed parked for the entire four days of our vacation! We had so much fun, that we plan to revisit in early September. My kids keep talking about that hotel by the ferry. Great family vacation spot.

Florida
Reviewed 13 June 2009

Went on a trip to see friends and family and saw the sights. We were so impressed with the staff who helped us find our way around the area - many thanks! The hotel is so well located that it became our jumping off point. The harbor is right there and we could walk around easily. The hotel fits in well on Cape Cod and when we go back again we'll definitely stay here.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
new york, ny
Reviewed 11 June 2009

What a fabulous weekend!

This hotel is super family friendly and what a great location! We could see the water from our room, our daughter loved the fish and chips at the restaurant and begged to eat there every night. She's even demanded that we cook fish and chips at home now!

The pool was wonderful! She swam every day and it was landscaped perfectly cause we could watch her from anywhere in the courtyard.

On the grown up side, it was quite pleasant as well. There was an outdoor fireplace that my husband and I loved hanging out by at night.

Really a great weekend! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hyannis
Anchor In Hotel
#17 of 22 in Hyannis
Holiday Inn Hyannis
Holiday Inn Hyannis
#8 of 22 in Hyannis

Been to Hyannis Harbor Hotel? Share your experiences!