All reviewsjapanese breakfastomeletin townnew englandstuffed french toastcomfortable bedssecond floorjasonhostshomelibrarytourhistory
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Right in the heart of Ipswich, a beautiful and history-filled New England town, this Bed & Breakfast offers a fantastic location- only minutes from beaches, great restaurants, parks, hiking, biking, and historic attractions. And, Kaede is absolutely unique! The owners have put a lot of care into the vintage New England property, and bring their own personality to the unusual Japanese theme of the house. With ample parking, private access to bathrooms for most suites, and a menu that includes a choice of American fare and Japanese specials, our stay at Kaede went very smoothly and was memorable. My wife and I definitely plan to make Kaede our first choice when we return to the area next year.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed here in July for one night with my boyfriend on a weekend trip through Ipswich and Rockport, MA. We found the place through Trip Advisor, and we were intrigued by the atmosphere of the place. In reality it was even better than our expectations. The room that we had at the top of the stairs was the only one available the night we booked, but we felt lucky to be able to stay there. The room was simple but adequate. What sets this place apart is the influence of the Japanese culture. The hosts made us feel so welcome. The rooms all have Japanese names, and the Japanese breakfast was extraordinary. We loved sitting at the breakfast table, sipping our miso soup, and having great conversation with all of the other guests around the table. I think this place attracts a far more interesting crowd than the usual B&B. We would highly recommend it!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

My wife and I arrived to this little gem on a roadtrip. We booked one day in advance, we was met with smiles, lots of great advice about the area and a great level of service. The rooms were really nice but the best was Jason, Makiko and Asuka who just took us in and treated as fantastically.

Room Tip: We chose a room without TV, because we wanted to spend time in the area, this was also good because we ended up chatting more with the hosts, when we went to see a weather report.
Reviewed 2 July 2014

During the last weekend in June my niece was getting married at Castle Hill Estate at Crane's Beach in Ipswich, Massachusetts. Although only about an hour from our home, my husband and I decided to make a weekend of it and join with extended family for a two night stay at the local bed and breakfast, Kaede in Ipswich center. We were delighted with our accommodations! Kaede is a family run business, a married couple with a young daughter. The husband is American and his lovely wife is Japanese. The style and charming decor reflect an Asian influence with beautiful furnishings, dishes and pottery used at breakfast. Five couples from our family were staying. Our rooms varied in size, and price and all are available for viewing on the website. My husband and I were very comfortable in our room (Umi, The Plum Room) and slept quite well. There was ample parking for guests in the back of the house. Also there was an outdoor staircase leading from the parking lot to a deck and the second floor rooms making it convenient to get to rooms directly from one's car. The front door opens to the street and is a short walk to downtown Ipswich with plenty of shops and restaurants. This location is also only about a mile from Crane's Beach and not too far from Route 133 leading to scenic Essex or Gloucester. Perhaps the best feature of our stay was the delicious breakfasts we enjoyed each morning of our stay! The staff offers a simple menu of fruit, juice, coffee, pancakes, french toast, omelets, or (available with advance notice) a special Japanese breakfast. The cook is skilled and quick. My omelets each day were fluffy perfection! The service was also provided by very attentive young servers with pleasant attitude. This was my first experience staying in a bed and breakfast. Being able to stay with family and share moments of a special weekend while enjoying convenient accommodations was a pleasure! I would most definitely return to Kaede.

Room Tip: Look at rooms on website.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My husband and I were at Kaede recently for one night. We usually stay in hotels, not B &B's, but we had read such great things about Jason, Makiko and Asuka......and they were all true. They are very welcoming and kind and their home is very comfortable. The highlights for us were the jaccuzzi tub (my husband) and the traditional Japanese breakfast (both of us). It was absolutely delicious and a healthy start to our day. We would definitely stay there again and recommend that others do.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple