“Out of the way treat worth looking for - an insider's tip”

Ipswich Shellfish Fish Market
Ranked #11 of 43 Restaurants in Ipswich
Cuisines: Seafood
“Out of the way treat worth looking for - an insider's tip”
Reviewed 4 March 2011

This is first and foremost, a fish market but they offer a limited buffet lunch between 12 and 2 that you serve yourself. I saw only one communal table that would seat about 6 people total. I was by myself so bought something from the buffet and ate it in my car. It was outstanding. There isn't a hint of fishy smell in the place. The fish and prepared dishes they sell for takeout looked like a gourmet magazine photo shoot. If you are in or near Ipswich I highly recommend making a point to go there at lunch time. If it isn't lunch time, pick up some food for your picnic at Crane's beach or on the lawn at Crane's castle. The location is not far from town's center but is in a residential area off the beaten path on Hayward St. You won't regret it. I'm convinced that the negative review listed here was written about a different restaurant. The writer describes having the food brought cold to his table, and the server being rude. At Ipswich Shellfish, you serve yourself, the food is not brought to you.....and there is no server.

• Visited March 2011
1 Thank tobywinter

Quebec City, Canada
“A gem in a gastronomic wasteland”
Reviewed 12 September 2010

Excellent lobster rolls, superb spanokopita, and may I PLEASE have your recipe for the out-of-this-world cornbread you bake on the premises?
If you are in Ipswich for R&R, and don't choose to drive for miles to find a good restaurant, do try the take-out here! What a find! Fresh, tasty, refined, and very reasonable. Salad bar at noon, and lots of quality snacks and appetizers to add to your cooler as well.

1 Thank travellernottourist9
Ipswich
“Best Fresh Seafood”
Reviewed 23 February 2009

This place is a must if your ever in Ipswich MA. Food is always hot and fresh. I read a review that said the food was cold..yea right! They make it fresh to order, i go there at least once a week and live and work 2 minutes away! They also always have great soups and awesome service..5 Stars for me!

2 Thank yummy5407
manchester nh
“unsatisfied in uruguay”
Reviewed 30 November 2007

Food came to the table cold, felt that some of it tasted like it had been previously frozen, fried was definately better then broiled, because fried hides any flavor that broiling seafood leaves behind. Over all it was not bad, but I was expecting much more out of it then I received, based on its advertising. It did not seem overly fresh, and that was the biggest thing I remember about the experience. The server was also very rood to me when I gave her honest feedback about the quality of my meal.

sincerely