“Felt like home”

Ranked #3 of 4 Ipswich B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Felt like home”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My husband and I planned a weekend trip to Ipswich and Salem. We took the commuter rail to Ipswich from Boston and planned to walk to the B&B since it was so close to the station (a little under a mile). Well, we got lost and I called the innkeeper, Frank, who told us to just stay where we were and he could come pick us up. This was extremely nice of him especially since it was technically after hours, around 8 pm and quite cold outside. He drove us to the B&B and showed us around and told us about the house, which is actually a few houses put together which were built in the 1600's. Just an absolutely gorgeous house. We had mentioned we hadn't had dinner yet and he recommended some places in town and told us he would be happy to drop us off somewhere, which again was very nice of him. We stayed in the Federal Queen Room. It was beautiful and felt like home. It had a fireplace in it which you could actually use if you wanted. There was a half bath in the room but you would have to go down some private stairs to a full bath to shower which was not bad at all. The breakfast was to die for! We stayed two nights and wanted to stay longer just for the breakfast! It is a sit down breakfast starting at 8:30 am (unless they don't have to many guests, then they will ask what time you would like), they make a place setting at the table for everyone and serve you there. They make their own juice, give you a bowl of fruit, coffee, and a different entree each day. SO GOOD! My husband and I ventured into Salem our first day and the second day we stayed around Ipswich. Frank and his wife Joanne gave us so many recommendations of things to do and see! Frank again offered to take us somewhere. He was just wonderful. My husband and I felt like we were right at home. We plan on going back again to see some of the attractions they had told us about and will be staying here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mjoclare44

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
worcestershire
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This is a beautifully restored 18th century house and I wish to say no more. Trip Advisor insists that I use at least 200 characters, I did not have a good experience and do not wish to elaborate, but have to use the quota so will babble to fill in the gaps, I try to submit but it wont accept so this is just to fill.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank moonmin_troll
New Bedford,MA
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We were planning a trip to Crane Beach, and looking for a place to stay in Ipswich. We were impressed by the reviews, and booked a one night stay in the country queen room. As it was mid-week there is a 25% discount on all rooms - there are 3 rooms - it was reasonable. It was the smallest room, but still adequate, with hand painted murals on the walls. Really unique. The king room was booked, and the with other queen room you had to walk downstairs to the shower (private, but not attached to the room) which didn't appeal to me. The house was built in the 1700's, and is nicely furnished with a deck & beautiful yard available to the guests. Breakfast is multi-course and beautifully served, with something for everyone. We enjoyed talking to the other guests. The innkeepers are very welcoming, and aim to please. It was a pleasant stop.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank blondie16
LA
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I just stayed one night at the b&b in August. I was in the area at a nearby venue for a wedding and the location was just perfect. The hospitality from Frank and Johanne as everyone has already mentioned was absolutely outstanding. The room was beautifully appointed with country style and flair and I had an incredible night of well rested sleep! Breakfast was the epitome of what you envision with a home-cooked meal and during that time, I was able to socialize with the other guests and hear about some of the local history of the home and the area. Just before my departure, I stopped into the shop located in the adjacent barn and was able to take in more of Johanne's wonderful artwork and local area crafts.

This was my first stay in a bed and breakfast and was a wonderful experience!

Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Brooklyn, Connecticut
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We recently spent 4 nights at the Rogers and Brown House for a last-minute getaway to Cape Ann, and were extremely pleased with our experience. We enjoy staying in B&B's, but during the summer months everything in Cape Ann books up very quickly, and what is available is super-expensive. I was thrilled therefore to find this property in Ipswich and that they could accomodate us, at a fantastic price ($650 for 5 days/4 nights, with full breakfast included each morning.) We could have easily paid double that amount in Rockport or Gloucester and not had nearly such nice accomodations.

As other reviewers have stated, the R&B is a lovely and interesting historic home, beautifully renovated and carefully furnished with period antiques and original artwork. There's so much to see and admire here, and the owners, Frank and Johanne, are justifiably proud of their home. They are very friendly without being intrusive, and truly care about their guests' comfort, exactly the sort of people who belong in the hospitality business!

We stayed in the King room on the second floor. Warning, stairs are narrow and steep. We didn't have a problem, but others might. This is a large room with beautiful furnishings, a fireplace (which we didn't use since it's July), an absolutely huge bed, flat screen TV, window air conditioner and a really big closet with shelves and plenty of hangers. We also had plenty of drawer space in two large dressers. You can certainly make yourself at home here! The bed was comfortable, with nice quality linens and plenty of extra pillows and fresh pillowcases in the closet.

The en-suite bathroom was very large, again beautifully decorated. The clawfoot tub is truly a "soaking tub", big enough for 2! The shower has terrific water pressure, and towels are big, fluffy and white. They provide regular size bottles of shampoo, body wash, lotion and hand soap. I prefer bar soap, so I picked some up at the store. The bathroom has it's own air conditioner, which was very welcome.

Frank cooks breakfast every morning at 8:30, and it really is a treat. We ate in their beautiful dining room with the other guests, and Frank is very attentive, refilling coffee, juice, etc. Each breakfast began with very good coffee, a fresh blended juice mixture, fresh fruit and pastry, and was followed by a different hot entree every day. Frank asked for any dietary preferences or restrictions when I made the reservation.

We really liked staying here and would definitely return. The house is quiet and sleep came easily. The location is very central to everything in Cape Ann: we took day trips to Newburyport, Gloucester and Rockport. Crane's Beach is very close by and well worth a visit.

I had just a couple of issues with our stay. One was housekeeping. Our room and bathroom were not cleaned during our entire stay. The bed was made daily, sheets were changed once, and towels were replaced daily. That was it, no vacuuming or cleaning the bathroom. Wastebaskets often not emptied. One day I found some cleaning supplies and paper towels and wiped down the bathroom as best as I could myself. I don't think they promise daily housekeeping, but I was surprised not to receive it.

Second was the bathroom itself. I know that this is an old house, and plumbing can be sketchy, but several times we ran out of hot water mid-shower. My boyfriend mentioned this to Frank and he was going to look into it. It didn't happen every time, but 2-3 times is too many. Also, we returned every day to find the connecting door between the bathroom and bedroom closed. When this is done, that bathroom really develops an unpleasant odor. Not to suggest that the bathroom wasn't clean, it was. There is just a significant smell in there, probably more obvious when the weather is warm. Again, it's an old house, smells happen, but they could probably help the situation somewhat just by not leaving the bathroom closed up and improving ventilation.

Room Tip: King room on second floor quiet and comfy with private bath.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maryetuf
Ruislip
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We selected Rogers and Brown because it looked nice and in period as well as being well located in Ipswich for our trip up the coast. Well the B&B building certainly looked the part, however it was when inside you saw just how well Frank and Johanne had lovingly and brilliantly furnished the house in period fixtures and fittings. The best for me were Johannes pictures and murals in the old colonial style. We booked what believe the smallest room but it is worth noting that this is a real old house so dimension including stairs can be a little tight. That being said it did have all the modern things you would expect too.

Frank and Johanne were great hosts giving us the history of the house and the surrounding areas. So much so that we wished were staying in the area longer.

Although this is definitely a great place for anyone on the history trail I'm certain no mater your reason for visiting the area you would be well satisfied in this lovely house and with the great hosts.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Bethel, CT
Reviewed 21 May 2013

If ever there was a Bed & Breakfast that epitomized the flavor of New England, the Rogers and Brown house is the place! The furnishings were awesome, the breakfasts...delicious and served with care, and the hosts, well what more can I say that was not already said? Frank and Johanne felt like family. They made us feel comfortable from the get-go and recommended great restaurants and how to save a buck at them as well. My wife and I are looking for an "excuse" to get back to the area so that we can stay there again.

Sam & Molly Berger

Room Tip: Just call, Frank & Johanne will explain everything.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ipswich
Rockport Inn and Suites
Emerson Inn
Emerson Inn
#4 of 6 in Rockport
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore

Been to Rogers and Brown House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!