“Pleasant Suprise !”

Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Lee
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We booked online having never seen the place. When we arrived we were not sure what to expect since the inn is OBVIOUSLY under renovation. The reception staff was very friendly and made it a point to put us in the quiet end of the Inn away from the painters etc. When we opened the door to our room we were pleasantly suprised at how beautiful it was ! The bedding etc were all new and the colors schemes very " New England" with deep greens and reds and browns. Our room had a deck that looked out over the lake. Our room had a very large, new TV and an iHome which we liked. The fireplace was not working because they were waiting for them all to be cleaned and inspected. That was fine by us because during our stay the evening temps never dropped below 50. We will stay here again for sure!

Room Tip: The upgraded rooms are worth the extra $$ !
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Robert M, Assistant General Manager at Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Thank you for your positive review of our property the Black Swan Inn. Our staff here follows Trip Advisor regularly and it is nice to see our hard work reflect with your experience. We have been done with our major portions of the renovations since mid July, but will be continuing to do side projects as we move through our offseason. Our fireplaces are planned for inspections and maintenance this week, at which point we will decide which direction we will take towards future use of them. All of our rooms have PTAC units that release both hot and cold temperatures that are individually controlled by the guest. Thank you for your wonderful descriptions and compliments of our newly renovated rooms. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your previous or a future stay with us, don’t hesitate to contact me directly either at rmcnary@blackswaninnberkshires.com or by phone at 413-243-2700. Thank you again for staying with us, we look forward towards a future visit.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

I discovered this property by accident and at fairly last minute after I determined that my originally reserved accommodations would not be acceptable to us for a 3-night stay. I'm happy that this property is in the process of being upgraded from it's previous Quality Inn incarnation. It offers some additional, more modern hotel/motel options in the area which are not so ridiculously (over-) priced as is typical for much of the southern Berkshires. However, the property still needs some tweaking.

I had toured two guest rooms the weekend prior to my arrival with a manager to determine whether the accommodations would be acceptable. I reserved a room online for three nights, carefully choosing a lake-side room. Upon check-in, the reception staff wanted to put me in a parking lot facing room. When I insisted that my room reserved was lake-side, I was told there would likely be an upcharge (which there was not). I did receive the lake-side room, but it was a double queen bedded room instead of a one king bed. It took a few minutes for the reception staff to get both keys made as they were having difficulty with the key coding machine.

The room I received was less desireable and smaller than what I was supposed to have received, but it was overall still acceptable. However, the HVAC unit did not work at all in our room. Since the temperature was moderate most of the weekend, I didn't inform the staff of the problem until our check-out. The bed was very comfortable and provided good rest. Our bathroom appeared to be partially, not fully, renovated but was fine. WiFi service in the hotel was a problem and appears to be something else where they are still working out the kinks with this transition to an upgraded property.

Breakfast was not worth the trip down to the restaurant. It was wholly inadequate in my opinion, and I am not sure why they bother even offering it as I don't believe Ascend Collection requires breakfast for their properties. I would say that I've stayed at other Choice properties like Comfort Inns where breakfast was superior and that isn't saying much. Skip breakfast and explore the local options in town at least until quality and variety issues are addressed.

Overall, the Black Swan Inn is really just a contemporary styled middle-of-the-road hotel/motel room. However, given the options in the Berkshires which are either "fussy" or "quaint" BnBs and inns or expensive newer national brand name hotels, this property, if they continue at the current price structure, offers an additional choice that is greatly needed in the area. If you want more contemporary furnishings and sensibility, with hotel/motel style accomodations, but don't want to pay in excess of $150/night, this property will likely fit the bill for you.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Robert M, Assistant General Manager at Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a detailed summary of your experience with us here at the Black Swan Inn. We encourage responses like yours because as you mention, we are still a work in progress. Since our takeover in April of this year, we have done a significant amount of work not only to the completely renovated rooms, but to how the hotel operates all together. While our room renovations are done, we are still focusing and planning on future renovations to more areas of the property. These include filling our outdoor pool to create an outdoor patio, relocation of breakfast, possible relocation of front desk, new parking lot, and much more. I would like to apologize for the difficulty that you had at check in as well as our breakfast. Breakfast has been a difficulty for us since we took over. We have bounced around various ideas and introduced all different types of products but the reviews continue to come back negative. This upcoming week we will be introducing new items, as well as all new displays for everything, so we can see if we can turn things around. We are doing our best because everyone has their own special needs and preferences. The Wi-Fi issue is actually being resolved this upcoming week as well. We have an installation team coming out for 2-3 days to assess our needs, and install our new system for the property. This was an issue that we did not become aware of until we entered the heart of our peak season with a high volume of guests all trying to access the internet at the same time.

Thank you again for your detailed summary of our property. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to contact me either at rmcnary@blackswaninnberkshires.com or 413-243-2700.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

The Black Swan Inn is very well situated at the foot of a pretty lake just north of the center of Lee MA. When we arrived, we were sent to a room that was not made up, a fate we shared with at least one other group arriving at the same time. The check-in procedure was more time-consuming than usual. The room we eventually got was clean enough, but the furnishings were rather small, leaving not quite enough place to put the usual pocket junk and electronics for charging. The light in out bathroom did not work. The breakfast room is the same as the Indian restaurant at the hotel, and was thoroughly permeated with Indian spices. While I like Indian food, this is not what I really wanted at breakfast. Once seated for breakfast, I found the offerings really poor and scant, and we left to get breakfast at the excellent local Joe's Diner. At the diner we encountered two other people we had seen at the hotel. All in all, I got a good night's sleep, but it felt like I was staying in someone's neglected guest room.

Dear valued customer,

It upsets me to hear that you did not have an enjoyable stay with us. I apologize for the issues that you encountered during your check in process that is very unlike our staff. Coordination and communication between our housekeeping and front desk staff is essential on our busy days where we need to turn rooms over quickly. Evidently one got overlooked and for that I apologize.

We do in fact have plans on moving our breakfast out of the restaurant and actually down the hall to our lounge where there is an even better view of the lake. We are also introducing new items this week that will include yogurt, and various specialty breads. Next summer in our high demand peak season, we hope to introduce an omelet station on the weekends as well.

I would again like to apologize for the issues that occurred during your stay, if you would like to speak further on any of the issues, don’t hesitate to contact me either by email at rmcnary@blackswaninnberkshires.com or phone 413-243-2700.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

This hotel was convenient, clean and comfortable. The bedding, shower curtain, decorations and television were new. The telephone system and alarm clocks were in need of updating. The best thing about this hotel was the courtesy and helpfulness shown by every member of the staff that we encountered. From printing out a list of restaurants, to providing computer service to print out an airline ticket, they made our stay very comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your wonderful review of our property. Customer service is one of our main areas of focus here at the Black Swan Inn and I am glad our staff was able to deliver throughout your stay with us. We do plan on a new telephone system in the future but that was not a major focus as we proceeded through our extensive renovations. Thank you again for your review, we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

although the style of the hotel is not the most modern, the rooms are very clean, the bed are very comfortable and the staff very helpful. there is free parking and WIFI, the breakfast is very simple (maybe they should add some more fruit or yogurt). I would stay here again

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Robert M, Assistant General Manager at Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

I would first like to thank you for your wonderful review of our property. Our staff here follows Trip Advisor on a daily basis, and it is nice to see positive reviews reflect our efforts. We are continuing to introduce new items to our breakfast, and actually our next step is introducing yogurt and hardboiled eggs. We are waiting for our self serve refrigerator to arrive, at which point we will add these items to our breakfast buffet. Thank you again for staying with us and your review, we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Stayed for one night in September. The hotel is in a lovely location by the lake but still needs some improvements. The room was clean and bed comfy, the reception staff very friendly. The corridors smelt very musty and the bathroom could do with a re vamp. There is no swimming pool it is covered over and we were told that it is going to be a patio area which would be nice overlooking the lake. The Indian restaurant attached to the hotel was very good but the breakfast could have been better not much choice.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Robert M, Assistant General Manager at Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on Trip Advisor. I can agree with you in some aspects that we are still a work in progress. We will continuously be doing work throughout the property for the next couple years so that we are constantly moving forward. That includes the patio in place of the pool, revamping of breakfast (which we have already begun ordering new products/displays), we are establishing an entirely new internet system, etc. There is always work to be done at any property, we just happened to take over this property in April of this year at a time when there was a substantial amount of work to be done. But I can assure you we don’t take these reviews lightly, in fact we encourage them. They give us an excellent perspective on where excelling, and areas we can improve. I thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

We have stayed at The Black Swan when it was under former management & were very happy to see this upgrade. The location on the lake is lovely, but it always seemed to need sprucing up. Now that has has been done and we can't wait to go back. The rooms are definitely much more upscale, the beds were great-so comfy - and wonderful views of the lake. from a private balcony. My only regret is the loss of the swimming pool, altho' I know there are plans to have kayaks and pedal boats to go out on the lake for next summer, so we certainly look forward to that. I also must say that Paul at the front desk was very accommodating and could not have done more for us, and other staff we encountered were just as helpful. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lake a MUST!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JMT352013
Robert M, Assistant General Manager at Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

Thank you for your excellent review about the Black Swan Inn on Trip Advisor. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your time as much as we enjoyed having you here at the Black Swan Inn. The plans for the pool are to fill it and create an outdoor patio area for everyone to enjoy. This will give those who do not book the lake side rooms, a place to sit and enjoy the serenity the lake has to offer. As you mentioned, we will also be providing a variety of different boating options as we move into next summer. It pleases us to hear that our staff accommodated you in all ways that you needed throughout your stay. We try to focus on the highest levels of customer service, and it is great to get positive feedback that we are reaching our goals. Thank you again for your wonderful review, we hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lee
The Red Lion Inn
#4 of 15 in Lenox
Hotel on North
Hotel on North
#1 of 8 in Pittsfield

Been to Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!