“So Glad to see the Black Swan Coming back!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel

Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Lee
Maple Lake
“So Glad to see the Black Swan Coming back!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

I have been staying at the Black Swan for a number of years when I travel on business and a little over a year a go I was going to stop staying there, but I heard it had been sold and it would be renovated. I have been very impressed with what the new management has done so far and I am glad that I will be continuing to stay at the Black Swan, because it is such a convenient location for my travels. I would reccommend the Black Swan if you are looking for a great value in the Berkshires.

Room Tip: Definitely get a Lake Side Room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Robert M, Assistant General Manager at Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Thank you for your short and sweet review of our newly renovated Black Swan Inn. We are glad you decided to give it another shot after it started to go downhill in years past. As you mentioned, we are a new management team that took over the property this past April. We have very high hopes and dreams for this beautiful location. With the help of loyal guests like yourself, we will achieve those dreams. Now that the renovations of the rooms are out of the way, we can focus on other aspects of operations and the property that were strongly neglected in years past.

Thank you again for your review. If you have any questions, concerns, or just want to make a future reservation, don’t hesitate to contact me directly at 413-243-2700, or by email at rmcnary@blackswaninnberkshires.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
east coast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

First off let me start by saying the lakeside rooms have an great view and porch. The rooms were clean and spacious enough. Like how the sink was outside the bathroom but facing away from room so u could have some privacy and not bother others who are sleeping. The actual bathroom could use some updating. The wallpaper looked messed up and the tiles too. The lighting was really bad in there The soap they use was too strong scented.

Now the negs. When we drove up the outside of building was pretty run down. The entrance way with the tacky blue awning was unbecoming. The lobby was kinda messy too. I was a bit scared of what I was getting

Did not eat breakfast as the room was used as an Indian restaurant and the place had a strong odor so we went into Stockbridge for breakfast.

This place could be great if they did some fixing up of the place.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank foodfancierEastCoast
I would first like to thank you for your compliments on our new rooms and balconies. Since we took over this past April, we have done a large and much needed renovation of all of our rooms. Everything in our guest rooms from the beds to that wallpaper to the furniture is brand new. The balconies were also in extreme need of repair so we made them another main focus of ours. I apologize that you did not enjoy our choice of soap. We have received excellent compliments on Olive Branch Botanicals line that we offer but not every one has the same preferences. We do have plans already to get rid of that awning as well as move the breakfast out of the Indian Restaurant. We are just working out the different possibilities and logistics behind both changes. The move of breakfast is already in the process.

Thank you for your input about our property. I want you to know that many of the issues you described we are aware about. We are in the planning process of revamping a lot of aspects of our operations, and our property. As I mentioned, we are a new management team that just took over this past April. We have done a lot of work since then but don’t have plans on stopping anytime soon.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns at 413-243-2700, or by email at rmcnary@blackswaninnberkshires.com
Westerly
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

We arrived early this past Friday and our room was not quite ready. It was ready though by 4 o'clock check in. Not a problem at all. The rooms have been entirely re-done and are beautiful. We had a lake view room - number 204. Besides the new digital televisions, new beds, new carpet, new sliding doors, furniture etc. they give you Kuerig coffee makers with free coffee and room 204 was conveniently located quite near the free coffee and tea machine in the quaint lobby, there is a microwave and computer with internet in the lobby as well.as well as the microwave. The free Wi-Fi was excellent. The view was fabulous. Yes the smell from the Indian restaurant seemed stronger this year but once your room door was closed it was no problem at all. Paul and Rob were great hosts and always helpful and available on this sold out weekend. Housekeeping was 4 star and better. Soaps, lotions and towels were top notch and aplenty. The in-room refrigerator was a big plus. There was a general friendliness that had been missing in the past. I forgot to mention this was our 5th Columbus Day weekend stay. The breakfast was more than adequate in a room overlooking the lake which doubles as "Bombay" in the evening. One of the things they must do is clean up the outdoor pool area. I'm sure it's on the agenda but it's become an eyesore. Paul was very helpful with restaurant suggestions in the area as he lives not far away and was truly interested in seeing that my wife and I relaxed and enjoyed our stay. This is without a doubt the best value in the Berkshires with the best location. Next year we will stay the 3 nights instead of two. Great job!

Room Tip: Get a lake view room-it's a no brainer!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Robert M, Assistant General Manager at Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Thank you very much for your extremely positive review of our property. Our staff loves to go on TripAdvisor and see these types of reviews because it reinforces the hard work we are putting in to the property. We are very happy to hear that you had such a wonderful experience during your stay with us. Our staff is encouraged to go above and beyond to make the guests stay as comfortable and convenient as possible. Questions and concerns do not go unanswered by the members of our team and we emphasize customer service above all else. I am also glad the internet worked perfectly for you. You were among the first to use our entirely new wireless system and it’s very good to hear that there were no noticeable issues.

Thank you again for your review. If you have any questions or concerns regarding a future stay, please contact me directly at 413-243-2700, or by email at rmcnary@blackswaninnberkshires.com
Woburn, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

With warnings from previous reviews but ads showing the Inn had been overhauled, we decided to give it a chance. Wish we hadn't. On the road for a week it was the most expensive (it was a Saturday night) and the worst place by far. The hallways smell awful. I couldn't wait to get out. Half the rooms face a very noisy (including a police action that night) parking lot with no access to the lake. Obviously the bathroom had been done over but poorly, i.e. the temptrol control for the shower was installed wrong so it was quite a while before I could figure out how to turn the shower down from scalding. Dangerous for the customer and a huge waste of energy and water for the Inn. Looks to me like they are trying to cosmetically fix a few things but in the cheapest way possible. The stairs were carpeted in such a way that it was more difficult carrying luggage upstairs (no elevator but only one flight). Breakfast was by far the worst continental breakfast served compared to the other places we had stayed. Only one poor little toaster for all the guests to share. Again, as cheap as possible. And served in an Indian Restaurant whose spice smells I had trouble mixing with breakfast. We wish we had not wasted our time and money on this place, much better quality for the same prices at the regular chain hotels.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Linda O
Robert M, General Manager at Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, the Black Swan Inn. I’m sorry we fell short on your expectations during your stay with us. This property has been under new management as of April and since then all our guest rooms and corridors have been renovated. But we're not done. We have many more improvements ahead of us to enhance the quality of your stay. Included, will be the replacement of the bathroom fixtures. We do have maintenance personnel on site and with a simple phone call to the front desk to report the faulty water temperature control, it could have been repaired quickly. As mentioned earlier, along with the room renovations, we also renovated all the corridors with new wall treatments and plush new carpeting in relaxing earth tones. As we do not have an elevator, we have staff on hand 24 hours a day to offer assistance with anything you may be carrying. We also continue to make improvements to our breakfast which now includes hard boiled eggs, yogurt, hot and cold cereals, assorted fresh fruit, gourmet breakfast breads, bagels, croissants and fresh brewed coffee. The location of breakfast has always been in the restaurant adjacent to the hotel lobby as it has ample seating and a beautiful view of the lake. We’ve been exploring the option of relocating the breakfast to a more centralized location within the hotel and will do so in the near future. At the Black Swan Inn, we value the opinions of individuals like yourself to help us create a more positive and enjoyable guest experience for all.
Hartford, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

I had the occasion to stay at the Black Swan Inn over the weekend. I had called to make a reservation after seeing that they had availability online. I spoke with a very friendly young lady who reviewed what was available. I asked for a room that had a whirlpool tub and a fireplace. She let me know that one was available and provided me pricing. She stated that this was the nicest room on the property with a lake view. I booked the hotel and made my way to the Berkshires on Friday. Upon arrival, I could see that the property was in tough shape at best. The driveway was in tough condition. The fences along both sides of the property we in shambles. When I went to park, spaced we limited. I ended up parking near a commercial dumpster that was located in the parking area. When I got out of my vehicle, there was oil on the ground under my feet. I should have seen if I could cancel my reservation, but there was nothing else available in the area. Upon check in, the process was time consuming and unorganized. The technology seemed antiquated. Once I was finally checked in, I went to my room to settle in. On first glance it appeated to be a quaint room with nice appointments. Once I settled in, I decided to open some windows as it was musty. Both window handles were broken beyond repair and unusable. I then proceeded to open the sliding door onto the deck. That area was nice, but looking down, the fence was broken down, the lake shore was an unpleasant site, and the property was not attractive. I then proceeded to use the fireplace as they claimed the room was with a fireplace. It was not in working order. I contacted the front desk to ask if someone could come look at it and they stated that it was not in working order. I let them know of my dissapointment as I was wanting a fireplace and had paid for the priveledge. I proceeded about my evening and then went to use the tub. The doors were off the tracks and there was some caulk missing with mild mold forming. I then used the whirpool which barely moved any air and was very loud to use. I just enjoyed from there what I could of the room for the two nights. Upon check out, I had let them know of the few issues, but wanted some type of concession due to the lack of fireplace. I was dealing with the General Manager who stated that he would not be able to give me a discount. He said, "we are doing some renovations and that was the reason the fireplace was inoperable". He went on to say that he would not be able to offer me any kind of discount. This was very dissapointing to me to say the least. I have been in the travel service industry for 23 years, and expect that if something is not right (as many things were not with this room), that something is done to make it palatable. He was not willing to offer anything at all. I asked that he change the website to reflect that the fireplaces were not working and to let his staff make potential guests aware of that fact before booking the more expensive room that has the fireplace. Overall, a very unfortunate experience. I can see other folks points on the location being nice and the potential of the property. As others have stated too, the breakfast offerings were poor at best and they were served in a common area of the Indian Restauarant with traces of food and scent from the night before. I would say to give these folks until summer to sort the property out. It could really be something if done right. Hopefully the management will work on their service and being accountable for issues that may arise.

Room Tip: I stated in 228. That room needs some time before it is suitable for a relaxing getaway.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank scott s
Dear Scott S,

I am very sorry to hear that you did not have an enjoyable stay with us here at the Black Swan Inn. As you may already know, we are under new management as of April of this year. We have done an extensive amount of work since then including renovating the brand new rooms, rebuilding of the back wall and balconies, hallways, fitness center, and public restrooms. Every aspect of these areas is brand new. We have done quite a bit of work in the short time that we have been here and we will be continuing to do more as we move through the next couple of years. The degree of overhaul needed in a property to turn it around from the unfortunate state it was in is extensive. We will need time to get every feature exactly where we want them to be. In May, June, and July, right in the beginning and middle of our high season, we did an extensive renovation that got the most important aspect of a hotel out of the way, our rooms. When staying in any hotel most would agree that even if the property itself is spectacular, if the rooms are not, then the stay will not be enjoyable. That is how we planned what we will do for the refurbish of our lovely lakeside property. So with all this said, we are not finished. There is still much to be done, as there is with any property. There is always room for improvement. I can guarantee you that we do have plans for those improvements. Not plans for five years from now, but plans for the near future. Now that we have the rooms taken care of, we will be moving on to other areas in, out, and around our property. This includes areas you mention in your review; driveway, getting rid of the construction pod that contains a lot of our old furniture, a nice patio area in place of the falling apart pool we inherited, possible new pontoon boats available for rent, etc.

I would also like to apologize for the issue you had with the fireplace. Like the pool, we inherited these fireplaces with the property. As we don’t operate them between the dates May 1st- November 1st, we didn’t get them serviced until the second week of October. We haven’t allowed any guests to use them before this time because we wanted to have them properly inspected before risking a potential safety hazard. As it turned out we did make the right decision because they do not meet current standards, and we are looking into alternatives. For now, they are purely for aesthetic purposes only.

I would like to again apologize for some of the issues you faced throughout your stay with us, but hope you may give us another chance in the future. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me directly at 413-243-2700, or by email at rmcnary@blackswaninnberkshires.com.
Kingston, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

We booked online having never seen the place. When we arrived we were not sure what to expect since the inn is OBVIOUSLY under renovation. The reception staff was very friendly and made it a point to put us in the quiet end of the Inn away from the painters etc. When we opened the door to our room we were pleasantly suprised at how beautiful it was ! The bedding etc were all new and the colors schemes very " New England" with deep greens and reds and browns. Our room had a deck that looked out over the lake. Our room had a very large, new TV and an iHome which we liked. The fireplace was not working because they were waiting for them all to be cleaned and inspected. That was fine by us because during our stay the evening temps never dropped below 50. We will stay here again for sure!

Room Tip: The upgraded rooms are worth the extra $$ !
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Robert M, Assistant General Manager at Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Thank you for your positive review of our property the Black Swan Inn. Our staff here follows Trip Advisor regularly and it is nice to see our hard work reflect with your experience. We have been done with our major portions of the renovations since mid July, but will be continuing to do side projects as we move through our offseason. Our fireplaces are planned for inspections and maintenance this week, at which point we will decide which direction we will take towards future use of them. All of our rooms have PTAC units that release both hot and cold temperatures that are individually controlled by the guest. Thank you for your wonderful descriptions and compliments of our newly renovated rooms. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your previous or a future stay with us, don’t hesitate to contact me directly either at rmcnary@blackswaninnberkshires.com or by phone at 413-243-2700. Thank you again for staying with us, we look forward towards a future visit.
West Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

I discovered this property by accident and at fairly last minute after I determined that my originally reserved accommodations would not be acceptable to us for a 3-night stay. I'm happy that this property is in the process of being upgraded from it's previous Quality Inn incarnation. It offers some additional, more modern hotel/motel options in the area which are not so ridiculously (over-) priced as is typical for much of the southern Berkshires. However, the property still needs some tweaking.

I had toured two guest rooms the weekend prior to my arrival with a manager to determine whether the accommodations would be acceptable. I reserved a room online for three nights, carefully choosing a lake-side room. Upon check-in, the reception staff wanted to put me in a parking lot facing room. When I insisted that my room reserved was lake-side, I was told there would likely be an upcharge (which there was not). I did receive the lake-side room, but it was a double queen bedded room instead of a one king bed. It took a few minutes for the reception staff to get both keys made as they were having difficulty with the key coding machine.

The room I received was less desireable and smaller than what I was supposed to have received, but it was overall still acceptable. However, the HVAC unit did not work at all in our room. Since the temperature was moderate most of the weekend, I didn't inform the staff of the problem until our check-out. The bed was very comfortable and provided good rest. Our bathroom appeared to be partially, not fully, renovated but was fine. WiFi service in the hotel was a problem and appears to be something else where they are still working out the kinks with this transition to an upgraded property.

Breakfast was not worth the trip down to the restaurant. It was wholly inadequate in my opinion, and I am not sure why they bother even offering it as I don't believe Ascend Collection requires breakfast for their properties. I would say that I've stayed at other Choice properties like Comfort Inns where breakfast was superior and that isn't saying much. Skip breakfast and explore the local options in town at least until quality and variety issues are addressed.

Overall, the Black Swan Inn is really just a contemporary styled middle-of-the-road hotel/motel room. However, given the options in the Berkshires which are either "fussy" or "quaint" BnBs and inns or expensive newer national brand name hotels, this property, if they continue at the current price structure, offers an additional choice that is greatly needed in the area. If you want more contemporary furnishings and sensibility, with hotel/motel style accomodations, but don't want to pay in excess of $150/night, this property will likely fit the bill for you.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Robert M, Assistant General Manager at Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write us such a detailed summary of your experience with us here at the Black Swan Inn. We encourage responses like yours because as you mention, we are still a work in progress. Since our takeover in April of this year, we have done a significant amount of work not only to the completely renovated rooms, but to how the hotel operates all together. While our room renovations are done, we are still focusing and planning on future renovations to more areas of the property. These include filling our outdoor pool to create an outdoor patio, relocation of breakfast, possible relocation of front desk, new parking lot, and much more. I would like to apologize for the difficulty that you had at check in as well as our breakfast. Breakfast has been a difficulty for us since we took over. We have bounced around various ideas and introduced all different types of products but the reviews continue to come back negative. This upcoming week we will be introducing new items, as well as all new displays for everything, so we can see if we can turn things around. We are doing our best because everyone has their own special needs and preferences. The Wi-Fi issue is actually being resolved this upcoming week as well. We have an installation team coming out for 2-3 days to assess our needs, and install our new system for the property. This was an issue that we did not become aware of until we entered the heart of our peak season with a high volume of guests all trying to access the internet at the same time.

Thank you again for your detailed summary of our property. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to contact me either at rmcnary@blackswaninnberkshires.com or 413-243-2700.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lee
The Red Lion Inn
#5 of 14 in Lenox
Blantyre
Blantyre
#4 of 14 in Lenox

Been to Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!