“Dirtiest Hotel I've Ever Stayed In”

Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Lee
SanFrancisco Bay Area
“Dirtiest Hotel I've Ever Stayed In”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We only stated one night- it was not good . The first room we were given had a giant hair ball on the bathroom floor and bits of something (paper? Straw?) on the carpet. When I called down to ask to get a broom and vacuum Kara insisted we change rooms. Room #2 looked cleaner except for the mud/ cookie dough on the floors. So again we switched to room #3. This was cleaner - not clean but better (corners full of dust/dirt like the swept everything there and forgot to pick it up? Hair in the shower, etc).

The free breakfast was toast and cold cereal.

The parking lot and public areas are in need of an upgrade.

Honestly for $200 a night I expected better.

The bright spot was Kara at the front desk. She saw the rooms and was not pleased, calling her manager.

If we return I will look for hotels in Stockbridge or Pittsfield as Lee doesn't have much to offer .

• Stayed July 2014
Robert M, Assistant General Manager at Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear ReneeC08,

I would like to formally apologize for all of the issues that you faced throughout your stay. Our standards are much higher than your experience and this was completely unacceptable. I refunded 50% of your stay for the inconveniences that you went through. I hope we can make it up to you possibly in a future stay. If you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to contact me directly at 413-243-2700, or by email at rmcnary@blackswaninnberkshires.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Merrick, New York
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Found this on Travel Zoo and what a gem it turned out to be. This is located on a beautiful lake in Lee MA and the town of Lee is lovely to walk through. The hotel was close enough to walk to if u really did not want to drive which was convenient. We had a terrace overlooking the lake which was beautiful. There is even a beach behind the hotel which we thoroughly enjoyed. We loved it so much we booked another trip in October to see the follage which I am sure will be beautiful. The rooms are not totally the newest but they are clean and great for the money. The staff is exceptional. Always there to help with anything. This definitely is a must!

Room Tip: Get a room with a terrace on the lake
1 Thank sheeba77
Dear Sheeba77,

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a nice review on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much. We look forward towards your next visit in October.

Thank you again for the staying with us and for the wonderful review. If you have any questions, concerns, or would just like to make a future reservation, do not hesitate to contact me directly at 413-243-2700, or by email at rmcnary@blackswaninnberkshires.com
Glens Falls, New York
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This weekend we attended a wedding in Lenox, and the family reserved a block of room at The Black Swan. This Inn is being restored, and they are doing a wonderful job. Our king room was beautifully renovated, everything new, very clean, and the bed was very comfortable. All amenities were available, and we found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The price was reasonable, and we would stay there again, and would recommend it. One other guest remarked that she didn't think much of the swimming pool, but we were not there to swim and would not have availed ourselves of the pool. The Inn is on a lovely little lake, and swimming is available in the lake if one so chooses.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Nancy P,

It pleases our staff to hear that you and the rest of the guests from the wedding party, were all well taken care of, and accommodated. We know that events like these are special, and we will do everything in our power to make our contribution to that special day. Our pool is permanently closed and we will be turning that area into an outdoor patio are in the future. With a local beach just behind our property, it makes better sense to utilize that space differently.

new york ny
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I wasn't going to write a review because as an artist I think they suck and can go either way, and one man's tea is another man's poison. But when I came here and saw the blatant lies from people who were obviously here the same time as my husband and I were I just had to. Now I can't speak for anyone's personal experience, but I can speak to the decor and general ambiance as seen by all.
First of all, as soon as I entered the supposedly drab hallway my first words to my husband were ' I love the smell of this place'. I didn't notice anything worn out or in need of anything. Secondly when he opened the door to our room I fell in love with the ginormous bed and the cute little swag with the logo across the bottom.
The bathroom was one of the best and I've stayed in plenty across the world and for a little out of the way place in small town America it kicked major butt. The jacuzzi tub was a huge plus, and did not lack in cleanliness at all. By the way Barbara I loved my swan made out of a towel, too cute.
I saw people out in the Kayaks everyday we were there except the evening of the storm, in fact one elderly lady went out two days in a row and hubby and I went out on the pontoon, which convinced me that we need one in our lives.
I haven't even touched on the staff, which to me was just the icing on the cake. In all my years of traveling, and we're talking twenty six years here. I have never spent more than two minutes speaking with Hotel staff. I talked these people's ears off and they never said shut the hell up and get gone. I don't drive, they went and picked up my food from a restaurant in town. We're vegan, they found us places to eat, and by the way, The Bombay restaurant on the premises is unbelievable. Paul, one of the managers at the Hotel recommended the chick pea salad, I almost wept.
The prices were great, the location was great (you can walk to town) the scenery is great and most of all, the overwhelming feeling of calmness cannot be matched.
I've never seen a more accommodating group of people come together in a work place, I even commented on it to the manager Paul, who himself was there at the ready to help with any and all things. Can't say enough about these guys. We stayed an extra night, enough said.
Oh, as for breakfast they had croissants, bagels, grain bread, cereal, fruit, muffins, eggs, yogurt, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, grade A apple and orange juice and probably other things that I missed because I'm vegan and can't eat any of it, but it was there.
So to Paul, Robert, Spencer, Christina, Kara, Santos and Barbara, thanks for a stupendous stay in a fabulicious hotel. You rock. See you in October Yah willing. Alison and David Jordan

Room Tip: We stayed in a lake view room
Dear Alison and David,

Thank you so much for the amazing review you wrote down for our property. It was a pleasure working/conversing with you all throughout your visit. Every so often we encounter guests at our hotel who show us why we got into the hotel business in the first place. Your detailed, review and description of our property is much appreciated.

Boston, MA
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We spent a couple of nights in a room with a balcony overlooking the lake. The inn looks dated and could use some sprucing up in terms of color and decor as the corridors are drab. The staff was very pleasant. The breakfast is a small cold buffet with two types of cereal, a toaster to toast a bagel or bread, some bananas and apples, yogurt and one morning hard boiled eggs, and of course coffee. The room was on the small side but the bed was comfortable. I did like having the sink just outside the shower and toilet room. If you go, ask for a room facing the lake as the inn is on Rt. 20 and could have road noise. There is no screening between the balconies, just a short wall, so sitting outside is not private as your neighbors can see and hear every word. It is very convenient to local attractions.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the lake.
1 Thank Hedleymom
Robert M, Assistant General Manger at Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Hedleymom,

It upsets me to find out that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us this past visit. I am happy to find out that you though our staff was pleasant. Our breakfast is a constantly adapting aspect of our experience, and we are always looking for ways to change things around. I hope you will give us another chance to make up the experience up to you.

Please call me or email me with any questions or concerns in the future at 413-243-2700, or rmcnary@blackswaninnberkshires.com
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I've stayed at seven hotels while touring and by the time I added the Lake view premium on, this worked out at the most expensive. And I'd say it was the worst. Yes, the Lake view was lovely, but I paid extra for that. Everything else was average. No pool. No Gym. Very limited Breakfast selection. Drab and tired decor. Well out of town. Nothing that I can find to be overly complimentary about. We were going to take a kayak out, but I thought their prices for that were over the top, so we didn't bother. I think others thought the same as none of the boats moved in the two days we were there. The one thing that wound me up, was the begging letter from the cleaner, especially as the cleanliness wasn't brilliant. The chairs and table on the balcony were too filthy to use.

Dear FatFunFan,

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your visit here with us. We are in the process of doing some exterior work in the coming months, and we always have projects being discussed. As we have finished the renovations of all of our rooms, and touched up areas of the property that needed it, we have also done a lot to this property they may not get noticed to the untrained eye. I apologize again that you did not enjoy your stay, I hope you might give us another shot at providing an exceptional experience for you.

If you would like to contact my General Manager Paul Rodriguez, you may contact him at 413-243-2700, or by email at prodriguez@blackswaninnberkshires.com
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Black Swan this weekend on a deal from Travelzoo. We had a great time! The rooms are much nicer than first impressions of the exterior might indicate. It is on RT 20, but we had little road noise in our lakeside room. We loved having drinks on our balcony overlooking the lake. Bathrooms are updated, great shower and very comfy beds.

There is a well-rated Indian restaurant on the premises. I was concerned about food odors from it, but there were none.

Now for the breakfast--it needs work, especially given the probably high in-season prices. I have to eat gluten/dairy-free, and there were no options for me, aside from hard-boiled eggs. Luckily, I had called ahead of time, and brought some GF muffins along. The coffee was awful, extremely weak. However, the in-room coffee that was offered was much better (Starbucks Pike Place blend) so maybe brew that and bring it with you to the breakfast room. The morning we checked out, we opted to go elsewhere.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Robert M, Assistant General Manger at Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Sue Z,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review for us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed that accommodations that we had to offer for the Travel Zoo deal. It does disappoint me to hear that had difficulty with our breakfast. You raise an excellent point in regards to those that are gluten intolerant, and I will speak with other management of what we might be able to do about that.

Thank you again for the staying with us and for the review. If you have any questions, concerns, or would just like to make a future reservation, do not hesitate to contact me directly at 413-243-2700, or by email at rmcnary@blackswaninnberkshires.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lee
LakeHouse Inn
Chambery Inn
Chambery Inn
#3 of 9 in Lee
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox

Been to Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!