“Unbeatable good midweek, offseason rates - but you get what you pay for”
Review of Chambery Inn

Chambery Inn
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Lee
Ontario
“Unbeatable good midweek, offseason rates - but you get what you pay for”
Reviewed 26 May 2008

The Chambéry Inn is nice and comfortable. Essentially this is an inn where you get a continental breakfast delivered to your door and you do not interact with other guests or the owners. For us, this was a plus after staying in many bed and breakfasts along our trip - it was nice to be able to come in and out and eat and leave as per our own schedule. The mid-week rates are fantastic, especially when combined with offseason rates, and beat any hotel hands-down.

We stayed mid-week and paid 80$ per night for the second cheapest room. For your consideration, three of the rooms are in the basement, which is half above ground but half in-ground (including ours.) Our room was nice enough, a little worn, and there were a few blinds that didn't work, but overall it was nice. Our room was right underneath the front desk, and noise from walking, doors closing, and chairs moving was very noticeable until about 9 AM. As well, trucks pass by on three sides of the inn, and there is a community fire warning signal that can go off without notice. Of course, these last two points are not the fault of the inn. Breakfast is underwhelming but sufficient.

Staff were very polite and very accomodating and should be commended in my experience.

There was nothing open in Lee during the midweek except the burrito joint, which was disappointing (and I like burritos.) We ate lunches in Pittsfield, about 20 minutes away.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Leominster, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 March 2008

I stayed at the Chambery Inn in december with my partner as a romantic getaway to the place where I grew up. The Chambery Inn was the old St. Mary's School in town, and since I attended St. Mary's (albeit in the new building) I felt a special connection to the building, which used to be located down Main St. behind the church until they basically shut the town down one day so they could move the building to its present site.

We stayed in La Normandie, I wanted to stay in the Jacuzzi suite but it was reserved already. The room was HUGE, large sitting area, plus a fireplace nook, fridge, coffee maker, bathrobes, etc. The bathroom has a towel warmer, as well as a jetted tub.

Breakfast, as others state, is delivered to your room in a wicker basket with tablecloth, you check off what you want to eat the night before and leave it on your doorknob before you go to bed. Ours was delivered exactly on time the next morning, and I must say everything was plentiful (and I'm a big guy and like to eat a lot!).

I didn't see any of the other rooms so I can't report on them. As for those saying there is nothing to do in the town of Lee. Maybe because I grew up there, it gives me insider knowledge, but there is plenty going on in town, just ask the locals!

The inn is located next to the fire station, and yes you may hear the fire whistle go off in the middle of the night. I guess having grown up with that in town, it didn't bother me in the least. I would also say for those looking for that authentic small-town experience, this is a working-class small town that still has an all-volunteer fire department that needs to sound the whistle to alert the firefighters they need to come to the station to respond to an emergency, so keep that in mind.

I recommend this inn to others, and I will stay here again. But please don't take the jacuzzi suite on the night I want to reserve it!

• Liked — The charm of the property, the breakfast
  • Disliked — That I couldn't get the jacuzzi suite!
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ConferenceMgr
Highland, NY
Reviewed 21 August 2007

If you are value conscious and love the feeling of a B&B, this is the place for you! The rooms on the first floor are truly outstanding, with 14 ft. ceilings and King and Queen beds. Everything is perfectly charming, including the breakfast delivered to your door in the morning. If you think you must pay upwards of $250 a night in the Berkshires, think again. My husband and I spent $350 at a nearby resort the first night and then came to the Chambery the following night. What a difference! I was so angry at myself for having overpaid at the first B&B, but at least I now know the score.
While I may be dooming my own chances of ever getting another reservation during the busy season, this is my heartfelt advice: If you are going to the Berkshires, don't even consider any place else.

• Liked — Rooms; Value; Breakfasts
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank natsmom229
Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 August 2007

LOVE THIS INN!!! My husband and I stayed at the Chambery, in the fall of 2005 for our honeymoon and again in 2006 for our 1st anniversary. For our honeymoon, we stayed in an upstairs suite named Petite Palais. It was wonderful. Since it was fall (which is the best time to visit the Berkshires), we used the gas fireplace every night. Everything was perfect. Have to say, we loved the fact that the staff left us alone. Only time we heard them was when they knocked on the door in the morning to chime out "Breakfast" and then would leave our basket of coffee, newspapers and whatever breakfast goodies we had picked the night before. Muffins, fruit and yogurt, etc. In 2006, we stood in the La Savoie Deluxe.............."the best". Each of the suites are spacious with lots of amenities. I cannot tell you how much we enjoy this school house inn. Our room is already booked for our 2nd anniversary this year !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — EVERYTHING
  • Disliked — NOTHING
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank charmed77
Reviewed 11 August 2007

Absolutely lovely. Only had the time to stay one night. Very friendly and helpful. Made the arrangements over the phone (got the information from the Fodor's travel guide for the area). The breakfast basket delivered to the room was an excellent touch. Would definitely go back for another escape!

• Liked — The whole atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank KfromNY
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 28 June 2007

If you like small inns & B & Bs, you might want to add the Chambery to your list. It's an old parochial school house that was moved and converted into an inn. The blackboards are still in the rooms and there are photos and small desks set about to personalize the inn. We stayed in a lovely room -- very large -- on the top floor with three large windows that ran across the front of the building. Noise was not a problem. Our room had a gas fireplace which we actually used on a chilly night in June, a sitting area, desk, assorted tables, TV and chairs. The decor was typical New England country cutesy. Our bath was large with a single person jacuzzi, which was also nice. Bed was comfy, linens were just fine. Our only issue was with the breakfast which was delivered to us in a pretty little basket each morning. It was a little small, which was really fine since we don't usually eat that much, but one of the mornings we were there, they ran out of something we had requested on the menu-request form, and they did not substitute another item. Probably just a mistake, but it left us sharing a smallish breakfast. The only other thing was that we really never saw any of the staff, which was a little weird. We picked our key up in an envelope on the desk when we got there and then left the key on the same desk when we left. That said, I still would not hesitate to stay at the Chambery again.

• Liked — uniqueness of the inn
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chapinite
Scituate
Reviewed 9 June 2007

We stayed in this wonderful antique schoolhouse for a get away weekend in the Berkshires. Lovely LARGE room, gas fireplace, jacuzzi tub and terry robes for your convenience. The building was originally a perocial school moved to its current location and converted to this lovely inn, some original touches such as the girls and boys staircases remain.
Breakfast, limited choices, delivered to your room in a basket at your specified time. We enjoyed fruit, yogurt, cereal and wonderful warmed scones. There is even a tablecloth included in your basket! Who could ask for more?
Can't wait to go back again.

• Liked — EVERYTHING! Location, comfort, large room, private bath.....
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank VicsMom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lee
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Yankee Inn
Yankee Inn
#6 of 16 in Lenox
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox

Been to Chambery Inn? Share your experiences!