“Couldn't be more perfect”
Review of Devonfield Inn

Devonfield Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Lee B&B and Inns
East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
“Couldn't be more perfect”
Reviewed 1 December 2009

The innkeepers are very accomodating. They waived their two-night policy more than a month in advance and let me check in early so I could be settled before going to the Hancock Shaker Village for dinner. The place is charmingly rambling and beautifully decorated. The exercise room in the basement was a very pleasant surprise. The guest pantry had clementines, homebaked cookies, muffins, and scones, and assorted teas and coffee. Candy-filled dishes were scattered about and an assortment of liquors, port, and congnac was available for sipping in the livingroom while planning the next day's activities. The inkeepers had lots of information available about local attractions and restaurants. The backyard is a huge open place and when the sky is clear, it is a perfect spot for stargazing. They even have a telescope. My room was beautiful, comfortable, and extremely romantic. It has a fireplace (wood already stacked) and a nice view. Breakfast was delicious. The main course was cheese blintzes souflee with blueberry sauce, but I enjoyed the buffet, espcially the homemade yogurt and granola. I can't imagine a more perfect b&b.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
US
Reviewed 29 November 2009

Imagine a perfect New England Inn in beautiful condition with every amenity yet....your innkeeper is like a cranky uncle always admonishing you. Go back again? I don't think so. And either should you.
This is a wonderful inn in most ways but unfortunately our trip there was almost ruined by the often rude comments and admonishments of the owner. One moment he would be friendly and nice and the next following you around making scolding comments. Our entire family went for Thanksgiving holiday, booking six rooms only to have him tell us too much wood was being used for fire in living room fireplace...rationing five or so pieces. Dogs welcome, unless you actually bring one and then he comments about it. Taking things out of a room and placing them in the foyer before you've packed and checked out. I think this man should consider whether he wants to really run an Inn. Can't imagine we were the only ones he was snappy with. Colored our whole experience which could have been perfect, were it not for his attitude.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank morey922
Brucesinger, Owner at Devonfield Inn, responded to this review, 24 December 2009
Needless to say, we were quite taken aback when we saw this review posted on Trip Advisor. We have been welcoming people to our Home for over 4 years and have never received such a scathing review. These comments are even more disturbing since we received, what we thought were, accolades from other members of the family over the course of their stay. We pride ourselves in offering gracious hospitality. We work very hard to provide our guests with a comfortable yet sophisticated travel experience. Quite often families rent the entire Inn for their own enjoyment. However, when, as in this case, the Inn is shared with other guests, we do our best to make everyone feel welcome, and not secondary to the larger group. Contrary to the written comments, we love children and pets and are one of the few B & B’s in the Berkshires that accept children and pets. However, because of the gravity of the comments, we find it necessary to respond to the concerns that were raised: “Too much wood was being used in living room fireplace”: Response-First, please understand that the fireplace in the living room is not to be managed by the guests but rather the owner for liability reasons; however I made an exception after setting up the initial fire because there was a family member that accepted responsibility. It was not the wood I was concerned with, it was the manner in which the wood was being used. Although I started the fire with 2 logs and a duralog, three additional logs were added in a “Teepee” fashion which created a very intense fire. There is a very valid reason why I expressed concern (although I may not have clearly articulated it at the time). There are three flues connected to that fireplace each going to a different room. The 200 year old chimney has a cap over it. Because it was over 50 degrees out the smoke was bouncing off the cap and, unbeknownst to you, was backing up into the other rooms. All I did was rearrange the logs so the fire wasn’t so intense. As to “rationing five or so pieces”, there were 5 in the fire at one time and plenty more to the side. In fact, I filled an additional bag of wood and left it there. “Dogs welcome, unless you actually bring one…” :Response- Although we advertise our Cottage unit as our pet friendly unit, we made an exception for this family by allowing a pet in room # 8. However, we do not allow guest’s pets in the Inn’s living room for several reasons. Some guests are allergic (as was our guest in room # 4). I think that it is reasonable that I said something about their dog constantly barking and scratching on the bedroom door and not belonging in the living room (although he was very cute!).
“Taking things out of a room and placing them in the foyer before you’ve packed and checked out”: Response: To be honest with you, I have no idea what they are referring to.“Why is this man an Innkeeper…?”: Response- This is the toughest one to swallow because I love being an Innkeeper and I know that I am darn good at it! One only has to read all the reviews to see how often guests comment on the hospitality and personal attention that they receive from my wife Ronnie and me. However, being an Innkeeper comes with a responsibility of “keeping the Inn” in pristine condition while finding a balance of making it comfortable and inviting. I tried to be accessible when needed and in the background trying not to interfere with their family’s enjoyment of our home. However, for reasons stated above, from time to time, it is necessary for me to make my presence known.
Please note that we waived extra per person charges where there was more than two in a room, waived pet security deposits; and although the only pet friendly unit we have is the Cottage, at the request of the family we made an exception for room # 8. Staying in one’s home, which Devonfield is, is a very different experience than a hotel. The Innkeeper’s interaction is a crucial part of the B & B experience. I am only sorry that they found their interaction with me to be so uncomfortable. Contrary to their feelings about me, I was very pleased to share our home with their family for this special holiday occasion. If it were not for them bringing to my attention the brief and momentary comments I made about doors being left open, a barking and scratching dog and the towering inferno, I thought they were perfect guests and, notwithstanding their feelings to the contrary, would love to have their family back someday.

Respectfully submitted

Bruce Singer, Keeper of the Inn
Devonfield Country Inn
Reviewed 15 November 2009

We were so impressed with the Devonfield from the first time we came up the drive. It was even more wonderful as we became more familiar with our new favorite Inn. Elegant without being stuffy, which is quite a talent for an Inn.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Earlybird
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 11 November 2009

We stayed in the cottage and had the pool to ourselves every day and lots of green space to roam in. Everything we could need for an extended stay was there--a small kitchenette equipped with necessities. The main inn is charming and comfortable.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Katviz
Boston
Reviewed 8 November 2009

My husband and I wanted an affordable, yet luxurious honeymoon. We didn't want to spend a lot of money on airfare, so we decided to visit the Berkshires. The Devonfield exceeded our expectations. We stayed in the Penthouse suite and spent a week enjoying the 2 person jacuzzi and beautiful scenery. The breakfasts are elegant and delicious. It is hard to find inns that are both friendly and luxurious. The pool was refreshing and we felt like we had all the privacy we needed to fully enjoy our honeymoon. We can't wait to go back for a winter adventure.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bostonziggy
Malvern
Reviewed 26 October 2009

We had a 7 day trip to the southern New England states, stopping in 5 differnt locations and 5 differnt Inns. The Devonfield was the best of a great bunch of Inns. Bruce and Ronnie were perfect hosts and could not do enough for us. Our room was perfect, the communal areas beautifully presented . A must on any trip to west Mass.

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin033
Needham, MA
Reviewed 22 October 2009

Thanks to other tripadvisor visitors for recommending the Devonfield. The house is clean and charming. Our room (#3) has a fireplace which adds to the appeal. The staff was very nice, and breakfast was very good both days.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eric S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lee
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Inn at Stockbridge
Inn at Stockbridge
#2 of 8 in Stockbridge
Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to Devonfield Inn? Share your experiences!