“Great restaurant, disappointing inn”
Review of Gateways Inn

Gateways Inn
Ranked #2 of 19 Lenox B&B and Inns
The Berkshires, Massachusetts
“Great restaurant, disappointing inn”
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

We just spent an anniversary overnight at The Gateways Inn. We live fairly locally and have small children, so we occasionally steal a luxury night away at a not-too-distant inn. We've travelled widely and are used to luxury hotels, but we also have stayed at our share of motels and chain hotels.

The good news is that the restaurant here is wonderful. The staff are lovely and informal in a perfectly nice way. The food is very, very good. Honestly, at less than half the price of a Wheatleigh or Blantyre, I enjoyed my meal here just as much. It was fun to sit in the lounge for dessert and after dinner drinks. I would highly recommend this inn for an evening out.

Unfortunately, the room was not great. The decor was tired and not well done. For example, the fixtures were big box brass, the mouldings were not properly caulked, there was an access panel in the ceiling that they wallpapered to make a focal point, and the Keurig was bolted down (which we discovered when we had a little water spill and tried to dry underneath), and there was a thick layer of dust on the house phone. The bathroom had mismatched tile, a fan that came on with the light switch, a pedestal sink, and was oddly freezing cold. There was nowhere to put anything down, and there were plastic cups on the wobbly glass shelf, which was good. I wouldn't risk putting glass on there!

Most egregiously, though, there was a waterproof mattress pad on the bed that made me sweat all night! I know most hotels use waterproof pads, but I've never noticed one so obviously as I did here. Also, the bedding only came up to my waist (and I'm 5'2") except for one sheet and the bedspread. That was fine because of the mattress pad making me die of heat, but still...

This is not a luxury inn, though they are charging luxury prices. It's certainly an adequate place to stay if you need a bed for the night, but I would not choose it for a romantic getaway or special night unless you come for dinner and go sleep elsewhere.

I don't usually write reviews, but my husband and I didn't want another couple to be surprised, as we were, at the disparity between the price and quality of this room.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Thriving
EiranMichele, Owner at Gateways Inn, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Thank you for posting a review and your kind words regarding our restaurant.
We sincerely apologize that the room was not to your satisfaction, but do need to respond to some of the remarks:
The décor is a matter of taste. That specific room has antique furniture, so I am not sure what is meant by big box brass. Had you looked at the online photos, you would have known what to expect.
The moldings are original and over 100 years old.
The room has a skylight, not an access panel, which we covered with a wallpapered panel so guests would not be woken up at dawn...
The Keurig is definitely not bolted to anything.
Sorry about the dust on the phone, inexcusable. The cleaning staff responsible was reprimanded, as was their supervisor. There is a cabinet next to the pedestal sink that has several shelves for you to put your toiletries and whatever else you might need in the bathroom.
The "waterproof" mattress is actually a protector against bed bugs; an alarming and problematic phenomena in hotels all over the country which thankfully we have never had an issue with. We have never received a complaint about it causing sweat before, nor did I experience that when I slept in that room. The plastic cups are at the recommendation of the American Hotel Association as a safety precaution.

We are a high end inn, but not as luxurious as some others in town. We are priced accordingly - but believe the quality we provide to be as good as theirs. The luxurious inns here - Blantyre and Wheatleigh charge $700-$2,100 a night. You paid $290 plus tax.

Lastly, if you had issues with your accommodations, we would have gladly given you other options had you informed us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Brookfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 12 January 2014

My husband and I just returned from a two night stay at the Gateway. It was a delightful experience featuring excellent cuisine, lively music in the lounge, spacious accommodations. Michele was a delightful hostess, offering great suggestions for the area. We look forward to returning in the spring.

Carol B.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Short Hills, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Spent a lot of time in the Lenox area, but never knew about the Gateway.
Visited recently and was pleasantly surprised.
The Inn felt more like a home than a commercial establishment.
The proprietors were extremely gracious, friendly, welcoming and attentive. The rooms were beautifully appointed, it seemed obvious that ever detail was carefully planned to make the guests feel welcome.
Looking forward to going back.
Definitively worth a visit!

Room Tip: Phenomenal location....two steps to the heart of town!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Waltham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We have dined at the Gateway and enjoyed the piano /jazz bar many times and have always had a delightful time. Eiran and Michelle are wonderful hosts. We recently needed to stay one night in the area and decided to try the Inn. The room was spacious and comfortable and the hosts as always welcoming and warm. The breakfast buffet was outstanding - some really unusual choices. It was a wholly enjoyable stay. We were not there long enough to have dinner but are looking forward to it on our next trip to the Berkshires.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Bay Shore, New York
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had spent a lovely weekend at the Gateway some years back. The Inn has since changed hands. The new owners have added a piano bar and lounge which is not the norm for a "romantic B&B getaway. You can decide weather that is a plus. It is not for us. The room was pleasant but devoid of many of the frills we have come to expect in an upscale B&B. We certainly didn't expect plastic glasses. The breakfast served was mediocre compared to other B&Bs at which we have stayed. Room prices seems to have also risen dramatically. Supposedly, the Inn has an excellent restaurant. However, we have now spent four days at the inn and the restaurant has yet to be open.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ben C
EiranMichele, Owner at Gateways Inn, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Ben,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. The problem with reviews is that they are very subjective. Yours is a case in point - you write that you stayed "four days" with us when in reality you only spent two - a Sunday and a Monday.
Yes, we have one of the best restaurants in the area - see tripadvisor - but we are only open on Thursdays to Saturdays, (except July and August when we are open every night), as is clearly stated in our website and numerous ads and other postings. As to the piano bar and lounge which "is not for us" - how would you know, as these were not active the days you were here? Again, only Thursdays to Saturdays. Most guests (see other reviews) LOVE the fact that we offer live music and a lounge area - but to each his own.

You write about a lovely weekend you spent here a few years back - but fail to mention all the new amenities such as a coffee machine, fridge, large TV, teddy bear, high end bath amenities, plush robes etc. that have been added to the rooms since we bought the inn two years ago, not to mention all the other upgrades to the rooms and public spaces. What you do mention is the plastic glasses in the bathroom - these were there before we bought the inn and still are, as a safety precaution advised by the American Hotel Association as they will not break if they fall. The alternative is disposable cups.

Our breakfasts are rated highly by most of our guests. Michele tells me you wiped your plates clean on both mornings you were here, so I find your comment as these being "mediocre" curious.

Lastly, you state that prices have risen dramatically, well guess what? since your last stay here in 2009, so have expenses. But relatively speaking, increases in cost of running a business are much higher than increase in room price, and actual profit much less than 2009.

Wishing you a Happy New Year and much pleasure in future stays at B&Bs.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 December 2013

My wife and our 18 month old daughter spent a wonderful weekend here in the early fall and only have good things to say. Upon arrival we received a complementary upgrade to a larger room behind the bar. I was a little hesitant at first as our daughter goes to bed early but the sound proofing was excellent. We spent the days touring around the countryside and the evenings having dinner at the Gateways restaurant and relaxing with live music. There's a fantastic bar as well with hundreds of different whiskeys. Also, the breakfasts were Phenomenal on both saturday and sunday - really an incredible spread.

Overall, it's a beautiful spot to stay with a lot of character. It's a short walk to "downtown" Lenox, with great food and very friendly, welcoming hosts. We would certainly stay there again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I recently stayed at the Gateways Inn with my fiancee. We were in town visiting some family. We could not have asked for a better experience. The Inn is both comfortable and welcoming, yet still matches the quaint charm of a historic property.
We had dinner in the main dining room and breakfast every day in the parlor. The food was top notch, and different each day.
The bedrooms were very sizable and could become quite toasty with a simple flick of the gas fireplace switch.
My favorite part of the experience was the music at night. Each night was a different genre, but Friday night's folk singer stood out to me.
I got a chance to chat with the very amiable owners. They seemed genuinely interested in making our stay memorable and were happy to help us in any way they could.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Garden Gables Inn
Yankee Inn
Yankee Inn
#6 of 16 in Lenox
Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort

Been to Gateways Inn? Share your experiences!