“Very disappointed”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lenox
Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I had read from a brochure how relaxing Kripalu was and how great the yoga experience would be. Upon arriving, nothing was clear or explained to us. The check in process was crowded and very confusing. I had hoped that our room in the Annex would at least be nice for the price $500. Once we walked in the room to my surprise everything is made with concrete slabs and very cold and dismal, almost depressing. The bed was hard and my husband and I froze all night because you cannot adjust the thermostat.

The next day I attended a moderate yoga class, again I was highly disappointed. In an hour and 30minute class we did 3 poses. I myself am a yoga instructor and I was hoping to gleam some knowledge or improve my own yoga skills, instead I didn't even break a sweat.

The food was horrible and tasted like it was left in a wet bucket all day. No fresh fruit anywhere, except bananas. Coffee had to be paid for and it certainly wasn't worth $2.

Everyone seems to be in a zombie like state. What happened to "free thinking?" If this is really a spiritual place and experience then why are the majority of people, staff included rude and impatient? Isn't the path to God and enlightment about how we treat others?

The facility is old, sweat and musty smelling. I preferred to be outdoors and hiking climbing the mountain far away from this prison like facility. Save your money and time . Please do not allow yourself to be brain washed. The best gift is the freedom to think for yourself!

Stayed: November 2013
11  Thank Jenni M
KripaluGuestServices, Guest Relations Manager at Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

I am sorry this was your experience. While what we offer at Kripalu may not be for everyone, we are proud of our services, our staff, and our mission. We are grateful for all feedback and it would be helpful to have more context for some of your comments. I invite you to contact me at guestservices@kripalu.org. I hope to hear from you. Kindly, Erin P.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

This was my fourth visit to Kripalu in as many years and I'm happy to see that they are continuing to expand and change. This year the gift shop was enlarged and they dedicated another sunny room for dining.
We always opt for the spartan rooms with two cots and a sink. We used the hall bathrooms and showers, which if I could afford the rooms within inroom bathrooms, I certainly would do that. But this is the part that offers itself to the camp experience I guess.
I tried very hard not to use my electronic devices. Next time I should leave them home or in the car to really be successful. Although you can use your computer in the cafe, I was glad I didn't. Unplugging isn't easy and it definately lends to the experience. Of course there were no loud conversations, blaring youtube videos or televisions to deal with either.
The food is always good, but I thought the menu was a bit boring. One night we had two different types of fish. Since I"m not vegan or vegetarian, I was happy to see another protein option, but instead of two types of fish, perhaps something different? The food is very good though and if you are up to trying new things, you will love this buffet. The bread is excellent! We bought two loaves to take home and my family devoured it!
My daughter and I did one day of R&R before our 2 day program began. I highly recommend putting in an R&R day if you are coming for a short program. The grounds are beautiful and instead of going to the lake like we usually do, we hiked through the woods up to the pond.
The sun was shining and even though it was October, we were able to eat outdoors and enjoy the beautiful views. On this particular trip, there was a lunar eclipse and Kripalu coordinated a group to go out to see it away from the lights from the building.
During our R&R we utilized the healing arts department. I had reflexology and a deep tissue massage. If you do a deep tissue, ask for Christine. She is one of the best massage therapists I've come across in a long time! They are very strict with their schedule and if you miss your appointment, plan to pay for it. We did book our appointments for the day of arrival, but made sure we allowed time for late trains and traffic. Don't book your appointments to close to your arrival time!
The Kripalu cafe is a mecca for coffee drinking guests, book signings, aura photography and henna art. Always fun, lively and relaxing.
I did an evening yoga class this visit in the Annex. I have never stayed in this section, though it looked nice and the people I talked to that were staying there were pleased with the accomodations. The yoga room was complete concrete with the exception of the wooden floor. Initially I thought it looked a bit cold, but as soon as the class started, the room had a great warm energy - so it works!
Don't miss the 4th floor sun room - great for reading, writing or even catching an afternoon cat nap! Comfortable chairs and sofas line the room facing huge windows....one of my favorite places at Kripalu!
Be sure to check the day agendas in the morning and plan your day. There is dancing (and not the rumba type)...think fairy angels dancing across the front lawn or loud drums and stamping to the beat for the kripalu gods....all done with fun and lightheartedness.
Thursday night is cooking class downstairs at Kripalu. They have a great kitchen with a camera over the stove, so you don't miss a thing!
I love this place. The energy is so good. The people are very kind and nice. Everyone comes together from all walks of life and just blends so well. Its a real feel good kind of place!

Room Tip: I was in room 229 this year. It faced the inner side of the front of the building. Great views of th...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank freebirdVT
Reviewed 8 October 2013

My sisters and I enjoyed a three day "R&R" stay at Kripalu. The accommodations are very simple but the beautiful surroundings more than make up for it. The staff were lovely and the variety of classes and activities had something for everyone.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I love this place. It's serene and you can participate as much or as little as you choose. Judgment is checked at the door, so all ages, shapes, sizes, and experience levels can feel comfortable there. The food is also excellent. I can't wait to go back!!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Alicia M
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I visited Kripalu for the 1st time about 5 years ago & was pleased to find upon my 2nd visit, that it's still the same lovely place, with a few improvements.
I stayed in the Annex building this time, which was a pleasure.
The cafeteria still does not serve coffee, which to be honest, is annoying,
but do-able, since the cafe 1 floor down serves coffee all day.
And meal times are not always convenient.

My favorite thing about Kripalu is that one can do as they please, but there are checks in place to insure that everyone else has privacy & quiet too. No blaring music, no loud cell phone chats or phones ringing, no TVs blaring. Peace & quiet. And although I thoroughly enjoy every bit of this, I always know it's time to come home when all that goodness begins to grate on my nerves a little ;-)
I mean this with kind-heartedness & honesty.
It was good to return home ultimately, but I will always return to Kripalu to retreat into myself so that my "re-entry" into the world is done with new clarity of mind & joy of spirit.

Room Tip: There is NO COFFEE in the cafeteria. If - like me - you need that 1st cup upon waking, bring someth...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank SybilSays
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Meditation and Yoga are part of our lifestyle. We love to attend the teachings at Kripalu. The serenity of the location in a rural setting with wooded walking paths at the doorstep enhances a restorative setting. The selection of locally grown organic vegetarian food is unparalleled. The accommodations range from hostel style rooms to new age environmental suites. The casual and relaxed atmosphere is a far cry form the hustle and bustle of to-days lifestyle

Room Tip: Be prepared to feel your blood pressure and breathing to go into a very relaxed pace.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank J M
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We did a weekend retreat with Deepak Chopra at Kripalu. He was discussing his new book "Super Brain: Unleashing the Explosive Power of Your Mind". His talk and the experience at Kripalu was Excellent. We had one of the new rooms in the annex with Lake view and private bath and meals in dining hall.

Room Tip: Lake views are great
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Yankee Inn
Garden Gables Inn
Garden Gables Inn
#3 of 16 in Lenox
Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort

Been to Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health? Share your experiences!