“Enjoyed my training, but facility is so-so”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lenox
Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health
Emeryville, California
“Enjoyed my training, but facility is so-so”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

First, this is a very large facility. There are a lot of different trainings going on so there can be a lot of people especially at lunchtime. I stayed in the new annex in one of the double rooms. Getting to the room the first couple times was a little unnerving because you either walk outside and around to get to the building or you go to the basement which feels like you shouldn't be down there. The way they connected the annex to the existing building is a little strange. The room itself was VERY small for two people. The room was very modern and chic, but you have to be comfortable being in such a small space with another person that you don't know. The cafeteria had a wide variety of food and they have the most amazing apple cider! I have no complaints about the food. The coffee is not free and is only sold in the little cafe on the main level. There would be a line of people in the morning for coffee and they never quite had enough brewing in the morning, so they would always run out so if you weren't the first few people in line, you would have to wait for the second batch of coffee. Annoying, and it was Starbucks prices only if you kept your cup, you got a discount on the coffee, but that means you have to carry your empty cup around all day. Enjoyed my training and they have so many different classes it was worth the trip, but the facility is not a spa, there are a lot of people so it's not quiet and quaint. I would return, but pay extra for a single room and prepare myself for the coffee situation. The view is amazing especially in the morning. We took several walks around the facility and it was gorgeous. They have outdoor picnic benches that we used for lunch and dinner just to get out of the noisy cafeteria. I didn't use any of the spa facilities, but a friend did and she said it was worth the money and very enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Michelle G
KripaluGuestServices, Guest Relations Manager at Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
So glad to hear you enjoyed your training! Sorry we missed an opportunity to show you a nicer way to the Annex - it is connected to the main building so you don't have to go outside or to ground level unless you need elevator access. We are excited to be adding an additional elevator soon for even more ease of access. We are also redesigning our cafe for a quicker morning coffee experience! Hope to welcome you back soon and hear what you think of the upgrades. -Erin P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

One of the best experiences of my life. Stayed a month for yoga teacher training. I did not expect a resort but simple accommodations and food, so my expectations were not "five star." The area is lovely, many trails in the beautiful surroundings( it helped that the weather was particularly good for the entire month of October and into the first week in. November). The food was fabulous, having the choice of vegetarian or just healthy cuisine. There was so much variety. In the month there were only a few repeat meals for lunch and dinner. I thought for sure I gained weight but in the end, I lost 4-5 pounds.

Accommodations were spartan as expected but it helped that there was a sink in the room to wash my face and brush my teeth. The showers were relatively clean and although weekends were crazy busy I never had trouble with enough hot water or having to wait to shower. Maybe because I got up at 5 am, not sure.

I took advantage of healing services, sunroom, meditation room, weekend yoga classes, performances, lectures and long walks. Everything was great and I will be back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank MarkTwainElmira
Morris Plains, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

I was very excited about visiting Kripalu, based on reviews here as well as their website. I was travelling alone and participated in the Restorative yoga program.
As you may know, the facility is spartan - do not go expecting a spa like resort. I had a room in the main building on the 3rd floor, no bathroom (shared hall bath). Fortunately, it does have a sink and the room was immaculate. All bedding is provided. I would of preferred a private bath, but wanted to keep costs down. Bathroom was updated and very clean. I noticed that the 4th floor bathrooms were not updated.
The program itself was excellent. Attending a program does allow for participating in other activities such as noon dance, etc...But certainly if you wish to have complete control and flexibility over your time there, you should choose R&R.
The food - WOW. It was so wonderful, I miss it already. I am a vegetarian, so to have so many non meat options at each meal was very nice. All organic, healthy, unique and very very good. I even purchased the cookbook in the giftshop.
Going alone - I think in the future I would prefer to attend with a friend. It seemed that most people there were together, most of them women. Especially since there is no TV, radio, it would have been nice to have company in the evenings.
Grounds - beautiful for hiking, walking, just experiencing. The autumn leaves and crisp clear weather helped of course!
I would definitely return, most likely for R&R and with a friend.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank NJCouple619
new york city
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

Kripalu has created a sanctuary in an institutional building, a former monastery set in the Berkshires. It's a strange juxtaposition, of cement block walls, and extreme "chill" in terms of what and who is offered there. The food is absolutely superb, I suggest going there for the food alone. It ranges from macrobiotic to vegan, vegetarian, and they do serve some poultry luncheon meats. CAVEAT, they do not serve coffee in the cafeteria, which I rue. They sell coffee downstairs in the gift shop, it's too strong, I don't like it, and since meals are included, this ticked me off. However, see if there's a class there you might enjoy, or just go for massage, meditation, meditation on one of their rest and relaxation retreats. They're offering 1 free night if you pay for 2 with their midweek "R&R" retreats. I've always taken a class while I was there. Their new wing is stunning, and I look forward to staying in this modern, Scandinavian design influenced dorm. I've stayed in their bunk bed dorms, and this was ok too, if you're on a budget.

Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Oklahoma City
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

I had read from a brochure how relaxing Kripalu was and how great the yoga experience would be. Upon arriving, nothing was clear or explained to us. The check in process was crowded and very confusing. I had hoped that our room in the Annex would at least be nice for the price $500. Once we walked in the room to my surprise everything is made with concrete slabs and very cold and dismal, almost depressing. The bed was hard and my husband and I froze all night because you cannot adjust the thermostat.

The next day I attended a moderate yoga class, again I was highly disappointed. In an hour and 30minute class we did 3 poses. I myself am a yoga instructor and I was hoping to gleam some knowledge or improve my own yoga skills, instead I didn't even break a sweat.

The food was horrible and tasted like it was left in a wet bucket all day. No fresh fruit anywhere, except bananas. Coffee had to be paid for and it certainly wasn't worth $2.

Everyone seems to be in a zombie like state. What happened to "free thinking?" If this is really a spiritual place and experience then why are the majority of people, staff included rude and impatient? Isn't the path to God and enlightment about how we treat others?

The facility is old, sweat and musty smelling. I preferred to be outdoors and hiking climbing the mountain far away from this prison like facility. Save your money and time . Please do not allow yourself to be brain washed. The best gift is the freedom to think for yourself!

Stayed November 2013
10 Thank Jenni M
KripaluGuestServices, Guest Relations Manager at Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
I am sorry this was your experience. While what we offer at Kripalu may not be for everyone, we are proud of our services, our staff, and our mission. We are grateful for all feedback and it would be helpful to have more context for some of your comments. I invite you to contact me at guestservices@kripalu.org. I hope to hear from you. Kindly, Erin P.
Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

This was my fourth visit to Kripalu in as many years and I'm happy to see that they are continuing to expand and change. This year the gift shop was enlarged and they dedicated another sunny room for dining.
We always opt for the spartan rooms with two cots and a sink. We used the hall bathrooms and showers, which if I could afford the rooms within inroom bathrooms, I certainly would do that. But this is the part that offers itself to the camp experience I guess.
I tried very hard not to use my electronic devices. Next time I should leave them home or in the car to really be successful. Although you can use your computer in the cafe, I was glad I didn't. Unplugging isn't easy and it definately lends to the experience. Of course there were no loud conversations, blaring youtube videos or televisions to deal with either.
The food is always good, but I thought the menu was a bit boring. One night we had two different types of fish. Since I"m not vegan or vegetarian, I was happy to see another protein option, but instead of two types of fish, perhaps something different? The food is very good though and if you are up to trying new things, you will love this buffet. The bread is excellent! We bought two loaves to take home and my family devoured it!
My daughter and I did one day of R&R before our 2 day program began. I highly recommend putting in an R&R day if you are coming for a short program. The grounds are beautiful and instead of going to the lake like we usually do, we hiked through the woods up to the pond.
The sun was shining and even though it was October, we were able to eat outdoors and enjoy the beautiful views. On this particular trip, there was a lunar eclipse and Kripalu coordinated a group to go out to see it away from the lights from the building.
During our R&R we utilized the healing arts department. I had reflexology and a deep tissue massage. If you do a deep tissue, ask for Christine. She is one of the best massage therapists I've come across in a long time! They are very strict with their schedule and if you miss your appointment, plan to pay for it. We did book our appointments for the day of arrival, but made sure we allowed time for late trains and traffic. Don't book your appointments to close to your arrival time!
The Kripalu cafe is a mecca for coffee drinking guests, book signings, aura photography and henna art. Always fun, lively and relaxing.
I did an evening yoga class this visit in the Annex. I have never stayed in this section, though it looked nice and the people I talked to that were staying there were pleased with the accomodations. The yoga room was complete concrete with the exception of the wooden floor. Initially I thought it looked a bit cold, but as soon as the class started, the room had a great warm energy - so it works!
Don't miss the 4th floor sun room - great for reading, writing or even catching an afternoon cat nap! Comfortable chairs and sofas line the room facing huge windows....one of my favorite places at Kripalu!
Be sure to check the day agendas in the morning and plan your day. There is dancing (and not the rumba type)...think fairy angels dancing across the front lawn or loud drums and stamping to the beat for the kripalu gods....all done with fun and lightheartedness.
Thursday night is cooking class downstairs at Kripalu. They have a great kitchen with a camera over the stove, so you don't miss a thing!
I love this place. The energy is so good. The people are very kind and nice. Everyone comes together from all walks of life and just blends so well. Its a real feel good kind of place!

Room Tip: I was in room 229 this year. It faced the inner side of the front of the building. Great views of th...