“Pluses and minuses... Need more yoga”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lenox
Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Pluses and minuses... Need more yoga”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I went with a friend for a three day retreat weekend. Arrived at 1:30p after a five hour drive and was not greeted graciously. Told we would not be allowed to check in until 4:30. Ok. Jump back into the car and wandered into Lenox and found a great farmers market. Went back at 4 and was checked in but another unpleasant woman who informed me I was only allowed to use my phone inside a cell closet! What! We had paid for an upgraded room with a lake view. After schlepping ALL our luggage to the far end of the former seminary... We open the door to find two cots and a box fan! A sink over the foot of the inside bed, NO AC, no closet and no room for even our suitcases. Oh and NO bathroom! It wad over 90 degrees and very high humidity. I was not happy with the first three hours of this retreat. It was a lot of aggravation and no retreat so far. Let me tell you Henry saved the day. Charming and accomodating. He checked on availability and moved us to the Annex for an additional $240.., but there was air, private bath and a smidge more space. No TV, RADIO but thankfully Internet. Of course no assistance in moving us from one end of the campus to the other. And you can omly park near a building for 30 mins and the lots are a good hike down from the buildings. I run my own business so I cannot disappear for three days. By the tiime we settle in we haul butt back to the main building for dinner. Inhale a very fresh and delicious meal and then book it over to the "mandatory" orienatation. Off we go only to find out once we got there that this was not an orientation but a CLASS! I was in a long skirt and tank top! I was not in a position to be doing any downward dogs! Half the room were wearing street clothes. Very upsetting. I had to leave. And the instructor was breathing so heavy into his headset that it sounded like a horror movie. You can remind us to breath without sounding like he is gasping for breath.

End of the night. I went back to the room to read and answer emails. Next morning, up early to hike a nearby mountain. Excellent adventure. Beautiful views. It was billed that when we got to the top of the mountain that we would do some yoga. Well my pack moved a little slower and as we reached the summit... The leader was coming down. When asked about the yoga he bluntly said "you missed it." Excellent. Took pics and came down. We wanted to go to the lake only to be told that there was not enough time. Took a very nice gentle yoga class Saturday night... Then to bed to observe mandatory quiet time at 10p. Sunday... It was made clear that we had to be packed and out before noon.. But you can stay, eat lunch and take another class. So you tell me where we are to keep our belongings, run them back and forth to the car and relax or do yoga. We just left. There is an unsecured luggage room. But really? No coffee in the cafeteria but you can buy a cup in the cafe for nearly $3.00 and if you save your papercup you can get .20 off your next cup. Again REALLY. Ok let me carry this paper cup around with me at all times. I paid $700 for a day and a half, one full yoga class, tasty food but not impressed for all the reputation. Henry at the desk was fabulous and I had the best massage ever --- for an additional $80 for 50 mins. Do your homework before you go. I had expected so much more. The R&R option offers a more a la carte schedule versus the hiking and yoga retreat we signed up for. But overall a great disappointment. Severely lacking in many areas. Need more options for classes. How can they not make available ONE vinyasa class. First class of the day starts at 6:30am, then the remainder had us tied up with the hike. So the only option we had was a gentle class around 7p saturday night or get up and hit the Sunday morning class at 6:30a. But we still needed to eat breakfast, shower, pack, load the car and drive home at least five hours. BTW kitchen doesn't open until 7 so you cant get any nutrition prior to the 630a class. Basics are lacking... Just an overall disappointment.

Room Tip: Request an annex room. SO worth the additional money. Get a massage and do the R&R program so yo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
20 Thank phoebelove
KripaluGuestServices, Guest Relations Manager at Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Phoebelove,
Thank you for taking the time to share some feedback about your recent visit to Kripalu. I was disappointed to hear about your experiences while with us. It seems that your expectation of the accommodations and understanding of some of our guidelines and offerings were different than what we provide.
We realize that we differ from most resorts and hotel settings in that, as a yoga retreat center and educational facility, some of our accommodation options are minimalistic, and we request limited electronics use, for example. It seems that some of the information regarding our offerings might have been missed. Yoga classes are offered three to four times each day, with a variety of levels offered at each time: 6:30am, 12:00noon, 4:15pm, and on weekends, at 5:15pm as well. Vigorous Vinyasa classes are offered at least twice each day. We appreciate hearing about your challenge in this area as we are constantly looking at ways to enhance the guest experience by providing yoga classes during times that are most convenient.
I was pleased to hear that you had pleasant interactions with Henry in Guest Services and enjoyed the Saturday evening yoga offering, the food served in the dining hall and your massage. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back for another stay. If so, I look forward to having the opportunity to meet you then.
Kindly,
Beth M.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
River Vale, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

I went there the last weekend of May for a program. Overall, I really liked it. I stayed in the Annex by myself, I was at the end of the hall so while the elevator is as loud as others have said, I didn't hear it that much. Otherwise it was pretty quiet. The rooms are sparse, the ceilings are unfinished and the floor is cement or something to that effect, but polished. But it was clean and just fine, the bed was comfy. I had two single beds, and there wasn't a closet, there were drawers built in under the beds and then another dresser attached to the wall with a rod to hang things on (just a few). But there were two safes and two alarm clocks (no radio, just alarm clocks.) No TV or phone, hair dryer or fridge. The bathroom was really nice. I did NOT have to sign any agreement about how showers as others have said on here. There is a notice by the thermostat (or whatever it is) that says if you take a long hot shower the smoke alarm will go off, but I don't know what constitutes long or hot. All I know is, I took a pretty warm one and it was fine. There is some kind of thermostat that can adjust it three degrees in either direction, I think. But you can open the very large window and there are some kind of wooden slat things outside that you can pull over the window to supposedly cool the room. I didn't need it then, but am going back in July so we'll see how it works I guess!

The food for me was meh. I can't eat too many vegetables or fibery stuff because it starts to not agree with me. So while there was other stuff to choose from at lunch, like tunafish and chicken salad, dinner was tougher because it was some kind of fish that I just didn't want to have and the chicken I had the first night was pretty lame. So I had a lot of rice. And the breads are really good. There really weren't any potatoes there, which surprised me, because you can't get much more organic or natural than a potato, can you? Even just, boiled maybe? Sweets are hard to come by in the dining hall, there were awesome vegan brownies on Saturday night but that was all I saw. Though there is tons of chocolate to buy in the Cafe, as well as other snacks. I had heard the cookies were good so I bought an oatmeal raisin cookie the first night, but perhaps it's best to get them early, because it was kind of stale and not so great. Oh, and what really bothered me was, around the dining hall had that hospital/school/fish smell. I was glad I wasn't staying in Shadowbrook.

I did the moderate yoga in the Annex and it was great, nice space, great teacher. Noon dance was fun, the KDZ Drummers are fabulous. They did a concert Saturday night which was also great and everyone was dancing like crazy.

Overall it was a good weekend and I'm going back in July for another program. This time I will investigate the food more thoroughly in the hopes of finding good stuff for dinner.

The guy who checked me in was very nice, but I did run into a few drank the Kool Aid types that others have mentioned on here, just no personality at all, which kind of surprised me because you'd think they'd only hire happy friendly types. The lady in the gift shop wasn't very nice either, though the older man was.

I checked in around 5:30, so I missed the rush, which is good because I can see how it gets way too chaotic, the luggage room is kind of a disaster at peak times. When I left on Sunday though I had to dig through everything to get to my stuff which was in the back.

My two biggest complaints: every time I have emailed either "info" or "Registration" I have NOT gotten a response. Just this past week and also 4 mths ago when I registered for my first program. Unacceptable.

And, the signage around the grounds is ridiculous. There are two entrances, which I did not know, and I picked the wrong one, because I had NO. IDEA. where to go when I got there, so I parked way down at the bottom of the hill, starting lugging my stuff up the steep hill and then by total luck, ran into an employee who was done with his shift, said "that looks heavy!" and got his car and gave me a ride to the door. Totally awesome. Then he told me that around the OTHER side, there is a drop off for your stuff. Woulda been nice to have a SIGN or two saying so at the place where I came in. And if there is one, it's way too small because I didn't see anything. So at least when I left, I was able to park right by the door and bring my things out to the car, rather than have to take them all the way down the hill. As it is, there isn't enough parking.

So, is it fancy? No. Is the food great for us carnivore types? No. There was a bit too much patchouli floating around for my liking as well. But it was comfortable, the program was great, the yoga was good, the gift shop had a lot of nice stuff, though a tad pricey, and the grounds are gorgeous and so is the view. As long as you know what you are getting into, you will enjoy it.

Room Tip: Splurge for the Annex and get a higher floor if you can.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank LBW16
KripaluGuestServices, Guest Relations Manager at Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear LBW 16,
Thank you for taking the time to provide such a thoughtful review after your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your program and the yoga class you attended!
We appreciate hearing your feedback about our signage and your experience when reaching out to our Registrations department. I am so sorry to hear that your arrival experience was confusing and that you did not receive a response after emailing us. As a result of your comments, we have been able to look into these issues so that we can better support the guest experience in these areas going forward.
We look forward to welcoming you back in July for your next program! I hope to have the opportunity to meet you then.
Kindly,
Beth M.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

I finally went to Kripalu after wanting to go for years. The overall experience exceeded my expectations. We did the R&R package and got a room in the annex - they are furnished in a modern, minimalist style which we liked and its definitely quieter. Because of construction (you dont hear the noise), we had to walk outdoors to it but it was fine because you really do not go back to your room at all during the day! The food was superbly fresh, the 24 hour beverage room was an excellent idea. The lectures were interesting and yoga classes good. We hiked and kayaked and took walks, so it was a lovely break. However, the new cafe was a disappointment in that it sold coffee, cereal bars and even ice cream, which really is in departure from Kripalu's holistic approach to living. Also the use of cell phones on the grounds really broke the silence and 'getting away from the world' feeling. Barring these two anomalies, the experience really helps you clear the cobwebs in your mind and try to start life fresh with a clean and more open attitude.

Room Tip: if you dont mind a small walk, the rooms in the annex are modern and quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank baileydogg
Punta Gorda, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

I first visited Kripalu in 2002 for a monthlong teacher training when I was 22. That was one of the best experiences of my life!

Kripalu has grown tremendously. Renovations include a new building, The Annex, which is sleeping quarters for guests. The dorm, where I stayed, was also upgraded with new bunk beds. Other additions include AC in the dining hall, and new program rooms, lots more parking, and new statues

While the upgrades are appreciated, this also means it is a lot more crowded! It's hard to find a quiet place. Thankfully, there is still silent dining in the second floor (which is usually busy too), and a small quiet meditation room on the 4th floor. They now serve meat options, which is a shame. However they now offer the "Buddha Bar" that has fresh vegan options.

Kripalu offers diverse programs, and is still has a great atmosphere and positive energies. However, it is very busy and you'll have to walk out to the woods (towards Kripalu Beach) for some alone time.

Jai Bhagwan!

• Stayed May 2014
5 Thank Chrisy R
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Kripalu is a very special place. My mother-in-law and I spent a weekend participating in a Spring Renewal program that included yoga, hiking, and meditation. Most of the weekend was lovely. To begin with, check-in was stressful and confusing as there were nine other programs running at the same time. Also, our room was barely ready in time for us to make the first yoga session, which was anxiety producing. Although it was convenient to be on campus, I felt our room was over-priced for what it was. At the same time,the views were amazing and the food was outstanding. I LOVED silent breakfast. Definitely go online for Kripalu recipes! I learned some useful mindfulness tools and met great people. I greatly appreciated the three levels of yoga offered. I am so glad we did this and would do it again but would probably stay off campus.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Kate R
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

I have been going to Kripalu almost yearly for 10 years. In that time, it has expanded its facilities and made a number of changes to how things are run, but at its core it feels like it has stayed true to being a place for education, learning, reflection, health and retreat.

One cannot go there expecting a concierge, 'hotel' experience. But one can go expecting- and receiving- an outstanding array of presenters and educators, world-class body work, clean rooms, and excellent and nourishing food. Yes, it is somewhat 'spartan', but for me that just adds to the 'retreat' feeling and encourages a quieter mind. The natural setting of Kripalu- in the Berkshires, right on a lake, in the midst of many wooded acres- also serve to make it a perfect retreat experience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Liza K
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

I have attended Kripalu for lectures in the past few years and the experience was positive. In the past, whenever I have attended a program I have chosen not to stay on-site. There is always construction going on and the facility is not up to my taste. It's even below a dorm level. During my recent visit, I had tried to go for an R&R but it was all sold out. I bought meals only and I must say Kripalu's staff's service was totally below par and extremely rude.

The gift center is renovated and is easy to navigate but the service is again below average. In order to get a better service, one has to reach out to the customer relations manager and share with them the experience. If you don't then the front desk staff cares less and will provide you wrong information.

Over time, I must say that it's obvious the center is more focused on making money vs. providing service. I can understand in order to maintain the center they need financial support, but if their customer service falls below zero Kripalu will lose their repeat clientele who has others options to look into.

Lenox is a beautiful town with nature, art, culture & cuisine. My recommendation would be to try Kripalu only if you want to go for a specific program(don't stay on-site) or want to listen to a good speaker or follow a certain teacher who is teaching a program otherwise just visit Lenox and stay at a B&B. There are plenty in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
13 Thank ZJ-161718
KripaluGuestServices, Guest Relations Manager at Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Zahra,
I am sorry you were not able to register for the R&R retreat you were hoping for and that you were disappointed with our services. I remember meeting with you during your visit this winter and hearing about how your experience as a dinner guest did not feel as welcoming as it did as a registered program guest. Providing wonderful service is very important to us. After meeting with you I met with the staff to see how we could have been more helpful and find areas for improvement. I hope we have another opportunity to provide you with the positive experience you have come to expect from us, whether you choose to stay at Kripalu or locally. Kindly, Erin P.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Yankee Inn
The Red Lion Inn
The Red Lion Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockbridge
Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort

Been to Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health? Share your experiences!